Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimr66

New bed.

jimr66
9 years ago

I cut this new bed in last fall. Joining my Veggie and main corner garden ( it was a pain cutting the grass under the shrubs anyways)

I put in 30 bags of black earth (on sale $1.00/bag) a big block (3.8 litre) of compressed peat moss and 8 bags of manure to amend the crappy clay soil, still not great but better than before.

I had lots of Hostas to move in some mature some not.

Hopefully by next year it will all fill in nicely.

Comments (19)

• irawon
    9 years ago

Looking lovely, Jim. Can you tell us which hostas are in the bed? I like the brownish plants in there for contrast.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Very nice. I, too, like the color contrasts & have that going in my own garden beds.

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Looking good, Jim. Nicely done

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I was able to zoom in on the right side Ligularia but what is the one on the left in the pic please?

Lovely golds and greens! What is the large blue in the background?
    Thanks!

Jo

• DiggingInTheDirt
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love the way you designed with color and size contrasts. You have some real beauties!

When you amended your soil, did you dig by hand? How deep did you amend? I'm only asking because I need to tackle this job for a bed I'm going to be getting ready for next spring. I dread the back breaking work, but I know it's the only way to achieve success.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Nice job. looks like it been there forever.

Paul

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Wow, gorgeous! Great job, Jim.

I, too, am curious as to the identity of that large blue one in the background, as well as that purplish plant in front of the shrub.

Fantastic color contrasts!

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone. The Hostas in the bed are Back left to right
    Elegans,
    Irish Luck,
    Nancy Gill,
    Summer Breeze,
    Ligularia "Britt Marie Crawford"
    Guacamole

Front row:
    Delta Dawn
    Ligularia "Osiris Café Noir"
    Shade fanfare
    Blue Cadet
    Fortunei aureomarginata

In the very front
    Cabbage Patch O/S
    Golden Bullion

Thanks for looking.
    James

• irawon
    9 years ago

James, thanks for listing the hostas in your garden. There are a few I don't have, so its nice to know their names. I had no idea Summer Breeze could get that big.

9 years ago

James, did you say Cabbage Patch???? I had to blink! I thought I was the only one who had one! Wow, this is amazing. Where did you get yours?

I got mine in 2011 from Hank deBoers who used to sell hostas. This CP is his own creation. You've got me very curious.

Jo

9 years ago

Your Osiris Cafe Noir is lovely. Thanks for the I.D. :-)

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Josephine I bought it from Hank himself,

I was working in the area I think it was Holland Landing. Saw the sign for hostas so of course I popped in.

Interesting fellow. I had his business card for awhile, "Hanks Hostas"

I also have another one one of his creations "Kristens Green Giant" named after his Grand daughter.

I am embarrassed to say I have kind of abused that plant a bit and it's really shrinking over the last couple of years.

I moved it this year (again) and it finally seem to be recuperating (a bit)

I hope I get to see it as a mature plant 1 day, I remember him showing me a mature 1 in his garden it was pretty big..

Cheers.

9 years ago

How exciting! How about that? :-)

I've spoken to him once after he moved. Apparently his son has a lot of his hostas so he didn't leave them all behind. I think he said he moved maybe 200 of them.

How is your Cabbage Patch doing? Cute little ugly, isn't it? I love it. I divided mine up last fall and potted them up. They over wintered fine but the biggest and most unfurled is almost "tame". The other two are fine. I just gifted Hippieindenial with one that is displaying its gnarled, folded, corrugated self and have another here that looks as it should.

Would it be too much to ask if you could post a pic of yours? I'd like to see how yours is growing. Thank you.

My daughter has a Kristin's something-or-another too. The three of us went back twice in one day and bought a whole lot of hostas! Lol

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here you go Jo, this one was abused a bit to, but it's a durable little bugger, and still puts out lots of eyes.

9 years ago

Thank you, James! You're right, it is a tough little hosta - but then it has to be...with that name, lol. I think it is the "novelty item" among my hostas.

I thought you might like to see the siblings :-)

This is the "tame" looking one.

9 years ago

Here's the other 1/3.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

You have a nice eye for planting...it looks really nice. That Summer Breeze is a beacon...I like how it is a ground hugger.

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Beautiful.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

That's a great bed. A nice combination of sizes, types and colors. I like the depth. It gives the impression that one might just continue walking beyond the fence.

And all you have to do is keep expanding it forward. Then you won't have any lawn to mow!