Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luuk_gw

Even the squirrels can be our allies

luuk
9 years ago

Everytime I see this advertising on TV I think of you and yours problems with squirrels :-)

Comments (14)

• luuk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ops, ...here the link

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

An easy way is to catch them, then move them or dispose of them. They have a 2 to 7 acre home range per Wikipedia. I have one squirrel left. Probably a fox and the hawks (or falcons) nesting across the street took care of rabbits. Nothing got chewed on my hostas this year.
    Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: trap those critters

• luuk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here !

Here is a link that might be useful: Advertising

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Luuk, funny commercial! Makes me thing of Moc and her buddies. My daschunds take care of any that venture into our place but my Leo hurt his back and I have to watch him now

• User
    9 years ago

I wish I could get a film of the squirrel and dachshund interaction here.

After we cut down her "squirrel tree"--the dead pine stump which had all those vines covering it--my older doxie girl sits at the short stump now out of habit. She had a crick in her neck looking up, now she does not know where her squirrel playtime is gone.

The other girl doxie, the younger one, likes to charge toward the bird feeder, where squirrels are on the ground. One of them gets on top of the wooden privacy fence and runs as fast as it can, leaping over the taller posts like a steeplechaser in a horse race. Dolly is right there on the ground running alongside.
    It happens at least once a day.

I try to keep fresh water out for the wild creatures all year. Especially in summer. After I found the turtle thirsting to death, I put water on the ground for the short guys too.

The commercial is great. I watched a related video about the filming of this, quite a big production it seems to me. Nicely done. The potting mix flying out of the pot is about the way it happens too.

• luuk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bernd, is a very accurate and calculated tactic.

Al, It seems that your daschund is doing an excellent job, funny pic! hehe ...best wishes to Leo for his back pain.
    I also have a dog with health problems, she is 15 years old.

Mocc, funny dogs doing funny things, they are adorable.

• dg
    9 years ago

The squirrels have been oddly over active here this year and actually have become more of a problem than slugs or deer. It has been a two and three times a day event of re-planting hosta and covering up dig holes both in beds and pots.

Hot pepper sprays, liquid fence, screams, yells and wild arm gyrations weren't detouring them at all.

Currently I am using Mocc's method of generous amounts of hot pepper sprinkles around each planted and potted plant. I even have gone so far as to cover a few of the worst offended pots with chicken wire, as well as the pepper, to try and keep 'em out. So far, this seems to have been helping. (Sheesh, I hope I haven't just jinxed myself :P )

Fingers crossed the squirrels will settle down for the summer and eliminate digging up my hosta from their routine. My final option is a .22 rifle and squirrel on a spit...

• LRB3
    9 years ago

I think we should agree to call them what they are: hooligans.

(I used to slow my car down when I saw a hooligan in the road. Now I don't exactly speed up, but I sure as heck don't slow down...)

• dg
    9 years ago

Cute and kind of amazing to watch but, darn trouble makers they are...

Here is a link that might be useful: squirrel high five

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I took photos of all of my "combo" pots yesterday. I have pecan trees, corn plants and sunflowers coming up in my hosta pots. I'm for the .22 and the spit as soon as my neighbor goes to the nursing home or her final home. I'm really tired of all the squirrels. I can wait, though. She's a nice old lady.

bk

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

You could trap half of them and bring them into a nice forest. The nice lady next door then would have to fill the feeder not as often.

• dg
    9 years ago

Well meaning town/city dwellers pay licensed trappers good money to live trap raccoon, opossum and skunk with the intention they be released in the country. The poor creatures often get killed on the highway trying to make it back to where they came from...

Please don't bring them to my 'nice forest' property, we have a-plenty, no thank you ;-)

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Only had to trap and relocate thirteen of them this year! I've finally made a dent in the population around here and only see an occasional visitor now. (Probably wondering where all his cousins have gone!)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

My neighbor just cut down her American Elm, which had a hollow space. The squirrel nest was there. When she quits feeding them, they will thin out quickly. (fingers crossed)

bk