Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

2 Blue Angle Pot Research

Last winter we had a discussion about when to pot up plants: dormant or not. Nothing was really resolved. It was a post in a post but it interested me. Knowing that I had 2 twin boy Blue Angels out there and that they were sleeping as it was January, I went out and potted one up. #1 is the one potted up from 1 gal to 2 gal first. He produced 5 more eyes and was a larger pip than #2. #2 though was the first up and the first hit by cutworms. He has stayed 1 eye so far. I did pot #2 up when I saw the pip popping. They have stayed side by side and what I do to one I do to the other. These plants are 3 year liners this year. Interesting. #1 has surpassed #2. I am going to try this again.

This post was edited by ilovetogrow on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 11:21

Comments (13)

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I wonder if this has to do with disturbing the roots invigorating growth?

Gesila

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

geisla.. something along the lines of throwing them around the yard???

ken

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried not to disrupt the roots in any way when I potted up. They were not root bound so it was like passing a hot potato in a manner from one pot to another. They were liners 4" to 1gal to 2 gal in 3 yr.

Ken this is Research. Serious stuff! No time to play go out for a pass.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

angle or angel? lol

Original Author
    10 years ago

lol I was hoping no one would notice. It is Angel. I had a BF who called me his Angle. I am rather dyslexic. Thank the Heavens for spell checkers everywhere. You should have seen how I messed up Sague!

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I used to have a bowling ball called the angle,and it was blue. Is that the same thing? Lol! Phil

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

So, are you going to up-pot #1 in the dormant phase again? Then, you'll up-pot #2 when it breaks ground? Do I understand the experiment correctly?

This interests me. I have a plant I split last year. It's a noid that I've had forever. I put one in a squat square container and one in a regular 12" pot. I've often wondered if hosta might like shallower and wider containers.

bk

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I love to grow... I have a friend who's sister called her War Cloud and I kept refering to my war paint as a war cloud too ,oops! Sometimes our fingers touch the wrong keys first so we will blame it on that instead

This post was edited by almosthooked on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 23:40

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I am just wondering if one plant had more dormant eyes hiding than the other.
    Naylor often sends two tc's when you order one. Invariably, one comes up with one eye, and the other comes up with two and they were both grown from liners. I think you would have to either microscopically examine them before you begin, or do it on many, many pairs of plants to get a result that would mean something. A fun experiment!

Hostas usually come up using stored energy from the previous year. So each is just showing you what it would have even if you hadn't up-potted them. They don't grow more roots until later. IMHO.

-Babka

Original Author
    10 years ago

Bk and Babka I am done with the Angles (lol) Angels as I cannot pot up anymore for a while. I went and did a walkabout looking for 2 more that I had as twins and no two suited me. I am thinking of starting off with liners again and pot up half again in the middle of winter. Ed sells 6 packs only it seems now but I can triple my data. I am not sure if #1 had any eyes waiting both hostas had been treated the same from the day they got here.

This is going to be a fun experiment. It may change Southern Hosta growing and repotting. I have no where to go for the next couple of years except to get more hostas. And maybe back to the Bahamas. I will keep you posted on what will happen. Paula

Original Author
    10 years ago

This is an Arial view of the plants. Thank you for showing an interest. Paula

• User
    10 years ago

Paula, the fact you are dyslexic has nothing to do with your intelligence, which is fine. My DH had it undiagnosed for years, yet managed to be a rocket scientist among other things. Determined people can overcome many problems.

I wondered where you were, missing for so long. Don't desert me now, we have to hold down the southeastern corner of the country, you know.

If I can do something to assist, let me know. I have several multiples, although my approach is to get them from different sources. Like Fortunei Hyacinthina....different nurseries, and they look totally different too. And I got Sagae x2 from Naylor, and one arrived having 2 separate eyes, the other had one. I put them all in the same pot anyway, and they are getting to be really nice.

I also have 2 Lemon Limes. Two Golden Tiaras...or is it Grand Tiaras....or two of both? Oh yeah. I have 8 plantaginea, some from the same nursery....like 3 from Solberg, 2 from Green Mt, 1 Mama from Plant Delights, 2 from Seawright which had foliar nems but seems cured this year. And then who keeps track of the ones I got as a 2nd when I was afraid the first would die? Like Stained Glass, Brother Stefan, hypoleuca, Invincible .....they are not the same age though, so not good for your experimenting.

Glad to see you back posting. Your plants are looking great. WE are getting rain now, hope you dried out because we're sending it your way. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc what I did was to order 6 ct Sum and Substances, 6 ct Cornbelt and 6 ct Cathedral Windows from HostaPlants formally HostaLiners.. These have done great here and will be perfect for testing. Hope they get here soon. I can do to three twins sets. Should be fun.

I have been here. Doing more reading. It is a big cactus repot year for me, along with the hostas, daylilies, and all that. I pretty much hang out side till dark, 2 Big Bang Theory's and I am out cold. 2 to 3 more years of work and I will be able to hang out to my hearts delight. Darn have to head there now, Paula

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!