Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

Praying Hands...combines with?

Mary4b
9 years ago

So I bought Praying Hands awhile ago, and as I've been planting my beds and placing hostas together, my feelings on Praying Hands has evolved. At first, I thought I had something special and was going to give it a special place. Now, it doesn't seem to "go" with anything, and I find myself avoiding it when considering what to plant next to other hostas.
Anyone got pics of well-situated Praying Hands where it compliments another hosta or two?

I do have a small 18' border garden that gets blasted with sun from just 11am-2pm. In this garden, I have 3 Moonlight, Grand Tiara and a Guacamole, they all handle the site without complaint. I often plant an exotic thing or two there...like Castor Bean, Artichoke, etc. I'm thinking that Praying Hands could fit into that strange garden IF it could handle that setting.

It seems more like a tropical plant than a hosta, which I thought was really cool and now seems like a liability.

Comments (24)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Here's one from a tour garden. And will take some sun.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

And from my garden.

Paul

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I like mine in a pot. But I think growing it near golds will help bring out that dark green better, hence why I grow mine with golden creeping Jenny. It seems to handle the sun very well.

Karen

• hostanista
    9 years ago

How about putting it a pot and placed on your deck or patio? It does seem to need to stand alone.

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you all think it does well with sun, perhaps I'll try it near those moonlights...they turn bright, bright florescent yellow through the season, like your lysimachia in the pot, Tepelus.

• jimr66
    9 years ago

I have it with some smaller hostas, acting as a back ground plant. Gives some vertical balance to the garden.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Well! My resistance is wearing down . . . these displays of Praying Hands are really lovely! :-). Is this a foreshadowing? Lol

9 years ago

I dont know if I qualify to respond but this is such a unique hosta. It looks good as background in Jim's garden. For some reason I thought Wheee! might be a worthy companion for its wavy edges and colour.

Another possibility is to surround it with golds or another perennial with gold flowers, for example a few gold coreopsis which bloom till frost. I'm likely going to get it (goal to have all HOTY's) so these suggestions are for me as well. :-).

• kim2_0
    9 years ago

I have mine close to Devil's Advocate just to keep the garden's Yin & Yang happy...

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Some like it cold, some like it hot ...
    I prefer mine ... in a pot

dave

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Mary, I have mine in sun from dawn til 3pm here in MN. And it takes it like a champ.

In my opinion, I think it looks good amongst shorter hosta to kinda break up the height. Here I have it with Roller Coaster Ride and Emerald Tiara. Behind it is Rascal.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hi Mary, thanks for starting this topic. I'm not really happy with how I've situated my PH, so I'm taking all these suggestions in.

Don Budd owns a local nursery which specializes in hostas. In his personal garden he planted PH in front of Queen of the Seas. I think if he had planted 3 the effect would have looked too contrived. Here's the pic.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I just posted my praying hands in another mini garden posting. I like it with my piece of Tamarisk we got in Arizona and with my minis it looks like a tree

9 years ago

How gorgeous! Ahhhh:-)

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I really like how it looks framed with the Tamarisk, Almost Hooked! Maybe I could "frame it" with some stone.

Irawon...sorry to change topic, but your post has brought fear into my heart...is that QOTHS not huge????! I have put a wave of QOTHS through one of my new beds and now see that they will be WAY TOO BIG, hope they don't grow too fast! I have such a hard, hard time giving the plants the space they need.

Thank you for the generous replies, everyone, I see that I just need to take a leap of faith and put it in...frame it out, or put it by lower ones (I do have some Emerald Tiara, Melissa...)

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

Well, I had to go look up "tamarisk". The PH looks wonderful silhouetted by the dark brown.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hi Mary,

Yes , QOTS is a large... at least 24" high by 4 feet wide, a medium grower, not fast and not slow. I'm in somewhat of the same predicament with Artic Blast. I don't know how many QOTSs you have but you could group some of them together for an instant WOW effect. Do you have a picture?

Edited to add that Don's QOTS is not in a lot of sun but he might have grouped three together. He did that with his Patriot clump.

This post was edited by irawon on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 9:26

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Mary, Queen of the Seas is a BEAST if it gets sun. I had a wimpie 1-gallon 3 years ago. By the following year it was already good size. Now, 3 years later and it's at least 4 feet wide.

• DiggingInTheDirt
    9 years ago

I also was not a fan of praying hands, until I saw Karen's outdoor pot combined with creeping jenny. That's when I realized that the growth pattern of PH's lends itself to some creative design. I don't know whether I will ever purchase it, but I can see it tucked in an empty space left by larger hostas. It would add interest and texture. If I had confidence in overwintering potted up hostas, I would steel Karen's idea.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Other upright minis, Curly Fries and Corkscrew. I grabbed an Alakazam today at my local garden center and it might move in this bed. I just noticed Corkscrew still has masking tape at the base of the petioles. I don't know how upright it will be when the tape comes off.
    Kathy

• tepelus
    9 years ago

As long as your plants hang upside down for a while they should be able to hold themselves up pretty good. ;)

Karen

• User
    9 years ago

Upright minis....hmmmm. well, I fixied it by clicking the picture and it turns itself right side up.

Melissa, I have what is supposed to be QOTS and it is still tiny and I got it in 2012. IF it is a real QOTS I can try it in full sun and it will start growing? Okay, nothing to lose by doing it. It is not a good example of a plant anyway, and that will be first on my order list next year! I want the REAL THING. Here I've wasted this 3d growing season on it and who knows how many more I'll be able to do heavy duty gardening.

Has yours looked like this one ever in its lifetime?

And incidentally, I have Hands Up, a small contorted thing from Praying Hands. It keeps plugging along. I'll put it in a bowl with other small or mini hosta later this summer. Easier to keep track of small things when they are clustered. This picture shows it best but taken 4/30/2014

9 years ago

Mocc, when I first got my Queen last year, I read that she does better in the ground, that the ripples/piecrusting becomes more produced in the ground. Mine is still in a pot, thrust into the ground, but will be planted soon. Doing well otherwise. Have any more room in your driveway garden, the sublime one? :-)

• User
    9 years ago

Jo, not unless it gets moved later. I shall wait until I make a second bed later this summer behind the lattice screen going up in July.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH