Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Probem

bkay2000
9 years ago

To start this out, it rained all day. It was a really light rain most all day. It cleared this afternoon.

My Fragrant Bouquet looks really strange. It looks kind of like what I posted a few days ago about nematodes. (I haven't done the nematodes test.) It looks kind of like it's mush. But this is in bigger areas.

Am I just paranoid and this is something related to the rain, or do you think my radar is correct?

bk

href="http://s48.photobucket.com/user/bkay2000/media/DSCN2375.jpg.html"; target="_blank">

These are the ones that I was concerned about last week.

bk

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

yes.. i think you are paranoid ... its driving you nuts isnt it?????

but .... there is a problem ... but i dont recognize it ..hmmm...

though it seems ridiculously early for southern blight.... as most of us are what seems a month behind this season ..... you are queen of the south ... so could it be some precursor to SB????

have you thought of breaking open a pot.. and seeing what the status of your media is??? how fresh is it in the affected pots?????

do you fert ... how.. if time release.. could it have hyper dumped a load.. due to the rain????

can you send chris the link to this ???

ken

ps: have you considered throwing them on the driveway?????

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I'll email Chris.

Yes, I'll dump it. It was soaked yesterday, so that's all I would know, as it's raining again.

bk

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

It isn't nematodes. Are your pots holding too much water? Make sure they can drain through quickly and aren't in standing water all the time. I've only seen this during really wet springs before and then it was only on leaves that were tender and not hardened off quite yet to the elements.

On the plantaginea it looks like you only have a problem on the oldest leaves so I would just take those off. They could have been from old frost damage that has caused some spots to melt out and as long as new leaves are coming you could remove the old ones. I don't think it is anything long term you need to worry about, but make sure those pots are draining well and have good aeration.

Hope that helps.

Chris

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, no need to send a sample to A & M?

bk

• User
    9 years ago

Well, BKay I totally missed this topic, don't know how since I am around every day.

Some of what is happening here is on the white parts of the leaves. They melt away. It is such a mess when it is over. The dead part sticks to another leaf and it dries on like glue. So I try to peel it up when it is dry and get rid of it. I'll see what photos I have of it.

I do not see any signs of southern blight YET, and I look down in the heart of the plant for any rot at the base of the pets which let me simply delicately pull them away....now THAT is the way I can tell southern blight, also those tiny little balls and the whole plant is gone dead within one day of that.

I have signs of nematodes though. But not with the mushy part. It turns brown within two veins and progresses sometimes the whole vein, sometimes not.

I had it rduced a good bit when I had a supply of crab shells to add to my mix, then Fedex refused to deliver 3 different bags, and I potted my new things and the old needing repots without it. Whether the shells were doing such a fine job or this weather is awful with super high humidity but very little rain....and heat index of 110 today for instance....I cannot tell.

I'll look for some of the pictures and get back to show them.

It is not raining here, hasn't been for several weeks actually. I water the golds on the west side of the garden every day. They are not mushing up. Squash Casserole and its progeny are in perfect shape and get the most water. The plantaginea like Royal Standard and such are almost gold, and they get the water. LOT of sun, afternoon sun, and I water them a lot. They are draining fine.

Elsewhere in the garden I water about every other day, they have morning light and very little afternoon, maybe some stray broken sunbeams through the leaf canopy.

If you remember I had some leaves which I thought were like crystal drops of water that had dried. Jo and Ken were commenting on what it might be. Like perhaps some frost damage. Only, one that had it (Fair Maiden) is still doing beautifully. Others which had it are not doing the best, but have not gone down.

I am wondering if it is heat dormancy. My Bibb Lettuce (a gold with light substance, Stuart Asch hosta) went into this decline and now it is on its last leaf. I had this happen to Stained Glass, thought it was dead and ordered another. Well, the first one came back to life after about 3 weeks dormancy and bloomed quicker than the second one did.

I'm thinking I have a case of heat dormancy with several of the ones having lighter substance and white markings somewhere. I rescued the Zebra Stripes, somehow. It is growing again. Several others which lost some leaves to the mushies are putting some back on, so far small leaves.

BK, have you ever encountered heat dormancy before?

Here is the Zebra Stripes. The leaves began looking bad when the heavy rain beat them against the rim of the pot. After that the other spots began turning brown. Finally it was down to just that fasciated scape, but now a couple of small leaves are growing. It is hard to take a picture of this one, showing any detail, my camera bleaches it out.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

bk……I have a first year Fragrant Bouquet that has done very well, but I don't have nearly as much light color on mine as yours does. The two that I do have that are mostly light colored, much more so than your plant, are Rare Breed and Loyalist. Both have the same symptoms that your plant is showing X10. I moved them both into complete shade a few weeks ago but that did nothing but slow down the progression. They are both slowly melting out from the inside of the leaves. They started much like your last three pictures. I of course have no clue if that is related to what you are experiencing, but since we both share basically the same climate I wanted to share that with you.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I have that on hostas which should be able to take a lot of sun, but did not get all that water which should go with it. Also some shade trees were not fully leafed out yet. The sun simply burned through the leaves, but now I added shades to prevent that. With more water new leaves of those plants look good now. My hostas do not need to look perfect. Bernd

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Fragrant Bouquet looks terrible. I think Chris was right, however. It just took the three days of rain to bring it to a head. They stayed too wet

I popped the bottom off FB several days ago. I dumped it out this afternoon. It appears to have a root problem. Some of the roots are white, but it appears some have turned brown and dried up. It's one of those that I received last fall that did not winter over very well, so I'm not positive the brown roots are recent. I going to assume so.

Sweet Innocence and Fragrant Queen looked fine. They seem to have stabilized. The roots were not huge, but they were white.

It almost has to be the pots. All I can find are the ones with pot bottoms built in. I've drilled holes and drilled holes. That seems not to be adequate. The pots look so ugly without the bottoms and I really don't want black. It looks like I will have to figure out something, though.

bk

Todays photos

Fragrant Bouquet

Fragrant Queen

Sweet Innocence

• User
    9 years ago

Bernd, tell me about your "shades" for the hosta. Are you using shade cloth? Or perhaps umbrellas?

When the shade trees finally leafed out, did that help?
    I decided earlier this year that looking perfect was not in the scheme of things here either. However, there are a couple of hostas which are looking nigh on to perfect and taking the sun as well. That would be the Squash Casserole clan. I'm giving them lots of water, because they get lots of sun, yeah even the afternoon sun, which is SC herself and now Wave Runner too. I have SC's pot elevated on pot feet to make sure it drains perfectly

Perhaps some of the ones with the mushy leaves had side draining holes in the pots, but when I moved them some had mulch coming over the holes. Might have had something to do with imperfect draining, regardless of the nice draining potting mix.