Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_beard89

Expandable hose

Jon 6a SE MA
10 years ago

I was tempted to buy one of these, but was turned off by reviews of the product. I know this was brought up once before, but...

I saw an ad for one by DAP and recognize this as a longtime and reputable company. They have a new 'professional' quality' hose with solid brass fittings and a lifetime replacement guarantee. Replacement guarantees are only as good as the 'lifetime' of the company involved, but, once again I recognize DAP as a longtime and reputable firm (IMO).

Check the link below, if interested. I have no connection with this except for buying (2) 50 foot hoses. The cost is about $10 more than the non-guaranteed, plastic fitted hoses available all over the place. I don't think I will get it for a long time as these are a hot item all over the country. I'll give an owner's report when I get them delivered.

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: Lifetime warrantee expandable hose

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 8:42

Comments (11)

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

I don't know Jon. The lifetime guarantee has a little star that says just pay s&h. The s&h might be more than the cost of the hose when you ask for a replacement.

We bought several 125' hoses from Sam's Club that also came with a lifetime guarantee and it turns out the life of those hoses was about 6 months. Replaced one of them, then I just gave up because it cost about as much in gas to get to Sam's as the hose did.

The best hose I ever bought was a flexogen hose that was purchased over 20 years ago and just needed to be replaced last summer. It cost about $40 and I replaced it with another of the same.

Have fun with your new hose and hopefully it will work for a while :)

Chris

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Jon, this seems to be a very thin material. They cost $15 each (2 for 30), good hoses at HD cost more. What about when you step on it, drop a tool on it, or it gets hung up on a rock and you pull. With my non-expandable hoses I can do all kind of accidental bad things to them and they do not rip or puncture for more than 10 years. Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 9:45

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Jon, Thanks for trying these for us. With my small lot, space taken up by the hose is an issue. I don't have a watering system. I move my plants around too much. I'm interested in hearing your review at summer's end.

Happy watering
    Beverly

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The original hoses all have very poor reviews. The Guaranteed hose has a larger thicker cross section and a covering that is said to a lot tougher. The inner expanding section is made by vulcanizing 5 layers of material (sort of like comparing a board to plywood). The only reviews are preliminary as it is very new, but they are positive and I didn't find any negative.

Obviously as time goes by and a good number of people have them this will be the true test. In any event, I think it is a big step up from the originals. The cost of replacement is $7.95 for P@H. It's a gamble, but I think it might work out. Anyway, I'm being the guinea pig and I will let you know how it turns out.

I look at it this way, the hose most assuredly will last a year and $7.95 a year for the convenience of not lugging around 100 ft of hose is short money.

Jon

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 11:03

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I want to know how it wears getting dragged around. Every hose I've ever had gets kinks, except for those old rubber ones. Be sure to report back after you get one and use it. I would go for this in a big way if it lives up to its claims.

-Babka

• dg
    10 years ago

You might take note if the hose is stored or left out in the sun for periods of time, how often and to what extent the hose is "stretched" during use and differences along those lines.

Also, I'm wondering if "city" water containing chlorine, chloramine, ammonia or other sanitizing agent, as opposed to well or rain barrel water could skew results.

It might be difficult to compare apples to apples, but will be interesting to hear what Jon experiences.

Deb

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Jon, please do give us your review of this particular model/brand when you (eventually) get it.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Bought mine at Costco. You can return it to Costco next year if it wears out.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am interested to know the new material used for the mesh. It is touted to be tougher. Another check would be how UV resistance it was, if we only knew what it was.

Another problem with at least the older designs is that leaving the water pressure on will 'balloon' and fail. Leaving pressure on is not recommended with the new hose...or any hose, I would imagine. One on one I don't think any expandable hose could come close to a good 'conventional' hose in burst strength.

I know I'm starting to sound like schill for these guys; but I did look closely at it and what their ads say makes sense. Let's see if they can walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

Jon

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 8:01

• dragonfly183
    10 years ago

I bought two of them, they both started leaking within a few months. I'm back to my regular hoses

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the mesh on the Xhosepro is nylon coated PVC for flexibility and the wear of nylon which is just about the best wear resistant material you can get as a mesh.

dragonfly,

You are certainly not alone in having problems with expandable hose. There are many different producers and none had very good reviews. I'm hoping that this new one with a lifetime replacement guarantee indicates this one is better.

We'll see.

Jon