Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

So Sweet hosta...how old is YOUR hosta...please post pics

...and stories. I don't hear much about this one and my eyes perked up when Don mentioned bkay's!

Comments (28)

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Had mine since 2006. Its impressive at maturity. It is around 46 inches across.

the leaf close-up

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi! So that's what it's supposed to look like!!! Hanging my head now...
    Yours has it all goin' on - wow - thank you for the inspiration to move it and be kind to it, Leaflover. Jo.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I love So Sweet. I got So Sweet #1 in 2009. I got So Sweet #2 in 2011.

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW, is that the pic in the Library Don was talking about? Oh my, no wonder! Spectacular...you must be so proud!

I have been nudged to try more container gardening for some of my hosta only I have to do it right this time.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Leaf lover, I visited your slideshow! You have a beautiful collection, hole-free...your hosta are perfect. We have many of the same hosta I was happy to see.

My SS seems a little different from both of yours and Bkay's. when I move it, I will monitor it to see changes.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of mine. I have had it at least 10 years or maybe more and have divided it twice and it is still big. I love it!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Here's a leaf off #2. It's just a superior performing hosta. I't's pretty, grows quickly, likes a pot, comes up early, stays late and has fragrant flowers, to boot.

bk

• User
    10 years ago

Because of BKay's experience and love for So Sweet, I got my second one this month. I look forward to seeing it grow. I'm always trying different sources for the hosta I double up on, to see if the genetics might change or evolve over different generations in different places.

Another one I love similar to So Sweet and it is also fragrant, is Sweet Innocence. Wider margin, creamy white, and then the leaf is yellow gold to chartreuse. But this year it stayed yellow for a long time.

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Josephine, I know I promised a photo yesterday, but was busy all day digging! Here is my SS, just in her second year. I might have to move her next spring because she gets 2-3 hours of afternoon sun, and it kind of crisps up her edges by August. Part of me is hoping that Ventricosa grows big enough to give her more shade!

• Lee
    10 years ago

Josephine, your SS does not looks like SS to me, maybe a mis ID?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Melati! After seeing everyone who responded with their pics, I know now that mine is not SS and you've just confirmed...I was waiting for someone to say it ... My daughters actually brought it up two weeks ago after seeing SS at our local Garden Gallery...gotta go strawberry picking right now...more later..:)

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Good eye, melati!

Josephine, you might want to take pics of the leaves close up and get a ID from the experts here. Moving it might be even more important if you have a biggie on your hands there.

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Mine gets a lot of afternoon sun. It was planted in 2005 along with Sugar and Cream.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm back...4cases of jam later....aargh my back!!!

Sidney, yours is a beaut...I actually have to say that all the SS's are stunning!

Funny, but the person who identified it for me two years ago was a grower who owned over 800 of them...could be I made the mistake and not he?

Anyway, last night I took pics of leaf scape, back and front to post here and perhaps it would suffice for someone to I.D. it?? Hopefully?

WW, for sure it will be moved...I learned about the tape trick on the forum yesterday! Bonus!

Front of leaf..FYI...petiole is channeled, note centre of channel is lighter...pretty...surface of leaf is matte, average texture

Original Author
    10 years ago

Back of leaf...I also measured it... 8 x 5... With 7 veins to centre

Interesting colour throughout, not all leaves the same...could it be in the Fortunei family, I wonder. It seems to like the sun and has never reacted negatively toward humidity and heat..love it...love it more to have proper name for it. I'm sure there is an expert in this forum who knows without a doubt what it is called.

Thank you in advance for assistance, anyone?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Stupid me...it has 'typical' hosta flowers, mauve colour, edges of leaves did turn white during summer, but having moved it two feet over, yellow edge lasts longer...can't remember last year whether they turned white or not....wait n see, I guess...hope this add'l info helps.

My orig. pic. Above is a pretty good close-up you think? Hope so...if not, not a prob to take another. Thanks again. Jo.

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Josephine, I should have specified that you start a new thread on this (sorry, I feel like I keep asking you this) bc then you can open it up to people who might not be following this thread.

I'm new to hosta gardening myself so unfortunately I'm of little help IDing anything but the most distinctive varieties.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I have to develop a liking for Sugar and Cream. It's supposed to be one of the better performing hosta in this area. I've seen it used in landscapes and it's impressive. If I ever learn to get photos off my phone, I'll post a really nice area that features Sugar and Cream.

I had two of them, and sent one to Don_B. Mine is not near as pretty as yours, Sydney. Yours is beautiful. Your So Sweet is nice, too.

Thanks for all the Kudos.

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ww..... Thank you but I should have thought of it myself...new thread it is...I WILL get the hang of it...how long is a newbie considered a newbie????? Lol
    Jo.

• User
    10 years ago

BK....getting photos off the phone.
    Do you have an Android smart phone?
    Then you can get the Flickr or Photobucket app for free, and when you take your pictures, send the ones you want to Flickr.

Failing that, do you have a phone charger that is also a USB connector to your computer? Hook it up and MOVE the photos to your computer. They might not be 8mp photos, but some might be good enough for identifying stuff.

Sugar And Cream does fine here too. You'll soon discover you like it almost as much as So Sweet. Consider trying Sweet Innocence with its very wide white margin. You can ID it 10 or 20 feet no problem.

Here's Sugar And Cream on the far left.

and Sweet Innocence as well

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Jo (hope you don't mind the nickname), you are sprinting right out the gates!

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo sprinter here lol lol lol..wow, nickname away...I go by JO...

On green thumb...look at those alliums!!! I swear that the colour surrounding your SS makes it look more dramatic and really makes it stand out - I love the look of it, especially with the surrounding Lillies, alliums, is that a hellebore and petunia peeking out? junipers?

Love the pale gold daylily alongside the soft coloured allium....very nice mix.......boy it's difficult to stay on topic looking at that picture. :)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

ongreenthumb,

Where are you? That doesn't exactly look like So Sweet, unless it just came up. It appears to have more substance than it should. By that I mean, the leaves are "stiffer" and more upright. So Sweet kind of drapes, for lack of a better term. In the Spring it's upright and has a yellowish margin. As it matures with the season, it's leaves kind of cascade or drape. Then the margin lightens to cream. It stays compact here for another month or so, when you can then say, it sprawls.

But it's been up here since March. So it deserves a little sprawl. It hardly ever burns.

It's just a great hosta.

bk

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

My So Sweet is in the second season and growing steadily,

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

Loo....it was taken in late may I think......alliums and lilies are way done. I'm in Ontario too....near Jo actually (Keswick). It has historically stayed pretty upright for me. I'll post a new one tomorrow.....I'm pretty sure its So Sweet. Right colour flowers, vein pairs and is fragrant.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey neighbour! Well, maybe an hour's drive away... My niece lives in Keswick, right in front of the lake...how about that? 'Tis a small world indeed. Jo. :)

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

I'm about 13 houses away from the lake.....the hostas seem to like the moisture :)

Bkay - I ran outside before work this morning and noticed that it looks pretty similar (minus the snail holes). I'll take a pic tonight. You'll see Paul's Glory peeking out from behind. The daylilies have taken over a little, so I need to move them (I have no idea what kind they are - but they are fast growers). Paul's Glory hadn't started to show in the picture - to five you an idea of timeline.

This post was edited by on_greenthumb on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 12:40

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!