Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

2011 Open Pollinated Seedlings

paul_in_mn
9 years ago

Pics of some of the seedlings I grew in 2011 that made it to the garden.

On Stage Seedlings - there were lots of yellows

Spring Fling seedling - not green but also not quite blue.

William Lachman seedling - misted and was just a wisp that had a nice jump this year. Greens up thru season but stays misted.

Northern Exposure seedlings - against considerable odds, it produced streaked seedlings in 2010 and 2011. These three are from 2011.

Powder Blue seedling - nice blues from a bonus pack of seeds. Deer got to the pips on the second one.

Thanks for taking a look.

Paul

Comments (8)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

OMG, I want that Spring Fling seedling! Drop dead gorgeous!

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Nice seedlings Paul. I agree about that Spring Fling seedling, it's the color of hostas that I'm on the hunt for this season!

Gesila

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Paul, congratulations on the streaking on NE! They are superstars!

I'm next in line, please after Funn on dibs for Spring Fling! Gesila, me too!
    The powder blue is so pretty!

They are all quite lovely! The On Stage babies are really good growers, aren't they? I've never seen the Lachman hosta before. It has an interesting colour to it.

Actually, there isn't a "runt" amongst them at all. Amazing seedlings. You must be so happy with them, Paul. There is something so satisfying about watching them sprout then grow up! Thank you for sharing these pics of your seedlings!

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Very nice Paul. I am loving that Spring Fling seedling. Does it remain that color through the season?

Steve

• User
    9 years ago

I am really interested in the gold seedlings from On Stage--they are beautiful. Another is the misted William Lachman seedling. It reminds me of London Fog in my garden, going from yellow misted to green misted, always retaining the misted streaks.

Very exciting, Paul. You are sitting in the middle of some future hosta greats, seems quite likely to me. Nothing wrong with open pollinated.

The one which is not quite green, not quite blue, I think that mysterious color combo is a blending of gold and blue on the color wheel to reach a shaded exotic bluegreen. Like autumn leaves turning color, the color is always in the leaf from the start, it just has to come out with proper conditions. I could look at that plant all day and be fascinated.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments. Sorry to get hopes high, but looking at the Spring Fling seedling it does blue up later.

I grew out about 100 On Stage seedlings that year to 4 leaf and about 1/2 were yellow. Some had interesting yellow or white streaks to center - one still in my garden but nothing noteworthy yet. Most of these yellows will green to chartreuse by end of the season.

Hoping one of the Northern Exposure seedlings gets some size like its mama....would love some big streaked leaves... No seeds yet from any of these, but hopefully this year. Had another NE seedling in this batch that didn't come back after it bloomed in the 2nd year and it was the best of the group with gnarly leaves and great streaking and misting (pic below).

Paul

• miketropic
    9 years ago

love the misted seedling would def like to have that in my garden

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading about and seeing your seedlings.

bk