Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gesila - marrics markers

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 9:20

My husband makes the markers. We tried some of the shorter ones but with the strong winds we have here they were constantly being pulled out of the ground and I got tired of having to look for them! He goes to Metal Mart and buys the sheet metal for the tops and then cuts them to size, depending on the name length. He also buys the thicker pieces used for the stalks, he cuts them longer so we can push them into the ground further and they seem to stay put. After he attaches them with a rivet, I print out the name on a P-Touch and stick it on. We tried gluing the pieces together but it didn't always stay attached. The sheet metal also has a piece of plastic on one side that has to be peeled off. Forgot to mention we bend the top back a bit so its easier to read the label.

photo PLANTMARKER_zpse2853ee3.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gesila - marrics markers

I like them. The look very sturdy and easy to read.

o

Really nice

o

Really nice

o

So professional, sure beats my ugly sticks

o

These are really nice - do they rust?

o

Good looking markers, Marric. I gotta' do something to improve on my mini-blind slat system that doesn't work very good. Nice winter project.

Paula, Marric's markers look like they're made of aluminum. Copper would be very nice but expensive although copper prices have decreased somewhat. (The stake could be make of copper pipe or tubing and the name tab attached with rivets like Marric's hubby did.)

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 8:07

You're right , they are aluminum. We chose that because they won't rust! The copper would look nice because it would get a nice patina as it ages. They would be expensive though. Marg

o

Here's a sample of homemade (not by me) copper markers. The base was made out of flattened copper pipe, the lettering on a computer and covered with some sort of clear plastic. They're quite durable and the one in the photo is about 10 years old. However they are very labor intensive to make and the nursery that made them no longer does so.

o

Marrics, thanks for posting. These are great!

o

Thanks, I am always looking for marker ideas.

Paula

o

I like yours, SquireJohn. I have some stainless steel bird cage trays which I do not need, and wonder if I could cut them up in strips for markers. The ones with the wire-like prongs always get caught on things when I begin tipping pots for the winter. Something flat and tall with the writing like your example might work better for me in the pots.

I am looking at Hobby Lobby for the white plastic pointy-ended markers that are thick and sturdy. Ed McHugh uses them for his hosta. Do not know where they are sold. I like a fine line marker to do the lettering, for now anyway, since I've put enough money into this passion. Maybe later a Brothers lettering thingy would be a Christmas present.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here