Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beverlymnz4

Camera vs other technology and posting pics

beverlymnz4
10 years ago

There is another discussion here on Hostas Galore by mommomsgarden that I think deserves its own thread. We've had quite a few head turning photos posted lately. (Pun intended).

My two bits: I have a "flip phone" which I recently learned from my 30 something nieces and nephews is a collectors item. So I have no personal experience. A nice camera is actually cheaper for me as I pay for it once, not every month. I like the pictures I have been getting.

Almost every gadget now can take a picture. Pretty soon we'll be able to take a snap shot of our Thankgiving turkey as we take it out of the oven. As Moccasin said, there is a learning curve with each device. Computers and phones become obsolete too fast for me. I had to replace my old lap top because I could no longer do anything with it as the operating system could not be updated. I hope that won't happen to my camera. I don't want to have to go up that learning curve so often.

By the way, that learning curve isn't as steep as it used to be.

Happy shooting (pictures, I mean)
-Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta galore

Comments (14)

• User
    10 years ago

I wish to comment about the "sync" function that a lot of devices can share. It is possible for me to sync my laptop, my cell phone, and my tablet's list of contacts. Only, when I want to remove a name from the contact list, it is frustrating because it seems to RE-SYNC and add it back.

It also happens with the photos I take with the tablet, which have no date printed in the corner to help me keep from duplicating photos in my combined collection now on my laptop. How many times must I remove them from the tablet--I don't want to end up with bits and pieces stored in this cloud or that cloud, I want them all together.

Having a cloud storage location of 5gb is a laughable amount, since one of the 9mp pictures I took wound up being 23 mb somehow. That eats storage space. When you take 100 photos, you have used up 2300 mb of space or more than 2 gb. Heck, I take that many pictures in a 30 minute walkabout of the hosta. Therefore, I believe we need a cloud backup that can reasonably and economically provide enough space for photos and music, and that I can index to my heart's content. Additionally, it needs to be possible to retrieve the HTML code, the URL or whatever, so that from the cloud I can post it to Flickr and to the forums without referring someone to a link....viewing the image itself is the object. I do not want to make anyone go to or through my cloud. My cloud should be private, but I should have the option of sending individual files to other places as copies.

Am I explaining this right? Is it something I misunderstand? Quite possible, and if so I apologize for muddying the water. I consider the cloud as a place for more than archival backup. It is most useful to me as a cloud external hard drive. Ultimately, the cloud is a machine storage device, and it can fail, and you must still keep a backup....sometimes it is so confusing and complicated. sigh....

• beverlymnz4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sigh (sympathetic)

I think I'm going to have to get one of those phones while I'm still young enough to learn how to use it. I'm having trouble hearing anyone when I use the one I have. But then again, most people don't actually talk to anyone on their phone anymore. Lets here some encouragement from those of you with success.

Beverly

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Let me put it this way;my Nikon D70 is waay beyond todays technology,as far as bring current. It was discontinued many years ago. I keep it because I have many lenses from back in my film camera days,and they all still fit my D70. Why would I want new technology? Would I like a new whiz-bang camera body? Of course,but they are pricing the new ones out of my reach. New cameras are technologically better,but photography is still the same,no matter what camera you use. My point is,cameras are still the way to go,if you want quality pictures. I'm not plugging Nikon,or any other camera company,that's just the system I am used to. Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's a great point, Phil. Your pics speak for themselves; You post beautiful photos, 'obsolete' technology or not.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Phil, I don't think a disclaimer is required when you put forth well reasoned logic for sticking with a camera that is not technologically advanced. Due to lens quality and $$ economy, who can dispute that. It could be any of several brands of a similar age, and the same could be said of it. Plus, why give up something that puts out quality photos. Not discounting your familiarity with the D70 performance, and how to make it do what you wish.

You take very good pictures. Don't change on my account. :)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Phil,

What counts is not how much you pay for your equipment, how many features you have that you cannot possibly need (cloud data storage, wi-fi transfer) or much else except how adept your are at choosing a subject and capturing it precisely. No one can argue that despite how old the tools are you may choose to use to get your pictures are, you are a master at capturing excellent pictures...and that is the bottom line.

Jon (D80)

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I hear ya,John! I have many features on my present camera,that I never use,because I have gotten lazy. I have an excvellent tripod with a ball-joint and a quick release to put it on,and take it off the tripod,and I am still out there hand-holding the camera,with the same zoom lens that I always use. Some features I will never use,are built-it to the software in the camera. Yeah,the new camera bodies have more megapixels,(mine has only 6).Nikon has one out with 36 megapixels,but who needs that much,unless you are a pro? Price tag in the thousands,body only! Phil

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Above I read that a phone has a monthly charge?
    Mine not, I pay $100 once a year at Tracphone and get 400 minutes then. Recently I had a total of 1200 minutes accumulated over the years, my grandson spent 100 minutes talking on it, now there are 1100 min left, no long distance charges and fees with Tracphone. We are not big talkers, use these phones only for emergencies in cars, have phones always powered down. It is good not to receive phone calls!

I use a Nikon camera to take pictures. Bernd

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Bernd,

I use Tracphone as well. When I called my previous provider to cancel my monthly service they informed me that since I was such a good customer they could offer me the same plan at half price.

It was something of a slap in the face after being a customer for several years.

Jon

• esther_b
    10 years ago

I am frustrated because it's becoming nearly impossible to find places to get my 35mm film developed. The local CVS pharmacies are like my only remaining option. I have a perfectly functional Canon Rebel EOS which takes great pictures, but if it becomes impossible to find anyplace to get film developed--even by mail--I will be forced to spend hundreds of dollars I don't really want to spend to get my camera's digital equivalent. Fortunately, the lenses on my present camera fit the digital versions, so I would only need a body. Still, that's like $450+.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Jon, we were 10 years or so ago with a telephone provider which sold me a 2 year plan, but the phone stopped working after 1 year. When I cancelled, they kept charging me until I got the NY state attorney general involved. And there were those ridiculous charges and fees which we thoroughly hated. Tracphone became for us freedom. It was so bad to become a slave to phone calling which should be so unimportant in life. Good that you got a good deal, but watch out they will try to get you again! Imagine, some families have a bill of over $200 for cell phones per month, looks like full slavery to me (only my personal opinion).
    Bernd

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Esther,film has become a dinosaur! I recently got rid of my last film camera bodies. Nobody uses film cameras anymore,even though they still sell film. You either go with the flow,or quit taking pictures! Besides digital has as good if not better quality than film,and you don't have to keep a picture if you don't want it. With film,they develop every picture,and you just have to live with it. With digital,if the pic is bad,you just delete it. Sorry,but that's the way it is! Phil

• beverlymnz4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tracphone? does that take decent pictures? My flip phone is about $15 per month, never use many minutes as I can't hear what people are saying. It doesn't block out enough background noise. It could take a picture but its not a smartphone or Iphone, no cloud or anything like that. Are we comparing apples to oranges here? Is that what you use to post to the gardenweb?

Beverly

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I bit the bullet this year and got a smart phone...I had been with my flip phone before that. I hate the extra monthly expense but do enjoy many of the features, including the camera. But I usually use my digital camera for pics of the garden because I just think they look better. I have a point and shoot canon.