Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion plants for hostas under black walnuts

Posted by mosswitch 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 9:26

In addendum to the thread about hostas under trees that are bad for them, just thought I would post a partial list of companion plants that can be successfully grown under black walnuts. Includes:

Lilies
Daffodils, most spring bulbs
Irises
Heuchera
Astilbe
Echinacea
Ferns
Sedums
Solomon's seal
Ginger
Ajuga
Hardy Geraniums
Lysmachia (golden moneywort, pennywort)
Stachys
Hemerocallis (daylilies)
Surprise lilies
Clematis
Daisy family
Crinums
Violets
Fallopia
Liriope
Euphorbia
Lily of the Valley
Saxifrage (aka strawberry begonia)

All of which grow very well under the dozen or so black walnuts that grow in the woods and gardens here. The worst drawback of gardening under black walnuts is the darn nuts! When they fall, they tear holes in hosta leaves and stain the deck (we have a huge one that towers over the deck and back yard) and the squirrels leave chewed bits everywhere.

Plants that do NOT grow well under them: anything in the tomato/potato family, most vegetables, Madonna lilies.

Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion plants for hostas under black walnuts

So far there aren't any perennials that have died from juglone here, and we grow all of our hostas and shade perennials under and around black walnuts (we have over 60 of them here). I've killed some hydrangeas and a couple Physocarpus though.

o

Yes, the black walnut assault has begun in my gardens! So far they are the size of almonds, but over the season they will grow to the size of golf balls and small limes! I have to keep reminding myself that I am thankful for the shade. Nice list!

o

Some shrubs don't do well with black walnuts, hydrangeas and physocarpus as Chris pointed out; any kind of roses, azaleas, weigelia, spireas, lespedsia, are all things I've tried a time or two and didn't succeed. I tried Madonna lilies three times before I gave up, they just got weaker each year and finally stopped coming up.

But hibiscus, cimicifuga, garlic, thyme, artemesia, lavender, dianthus, passionflower, Dutchman's pipe vine, columbines, ruellia, creeping veronica, lamiums, can all be added to the list of things that will grow under them or within range of their roots.. Most native wildfiowers; trilliums, dog-tooth violets, mayapples, false solomon's seal, woodland phlox, Dutchman's breeches, wild strawberries (but not garden strawberries), ginseng, colt's foot, toothwort, other spring ephemerals, are all good.

Sandy

This post was edited by mosswitch on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 10:55

o

Great lists. I would add...

Sweet Woodruff
Ligularia
Joe Pye Weed
Jack-in-the-Pulpit
Epimedium
Tsuga canadensis, mertensiana & diversifolia
Chamaecyparis obtusa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here