Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalija_gw

Does Blue Angel dislike being in a pot?

kalija
9 years ago

I've been wanting to ask this and hesitating cause I know I did a lot wrong here..... All over my street there are huge maple trees with either Elegans or Blue Angel groupings planted around them. I decided early on that this was a look I wanted and we have a big Crimson King maple in our front yard. But I read over and over here that the maple roots are not good for hostas.
So last year I decided to plant Blue angels in big pots under my maple. The idea was that eventually the BA would grow over the edges of the pots and kind of hide them? I really don't like the look of the pots.

I think my first mistake was that the pots are too big. My second - I think I planted them too deep. My third - I didn't move the pots into my enclosed porch last fall with my other pots. I put them in the shelter of an overhang on my front porch. It may have gotton way too cold for them there.
They all look like this:

All my other potted plants came up just fine, but you can see from the pic that the leaves on all my blue angels look distorted. Some are twisted and shriveled. I got these from Chris so I am not worried about virus - I know they are distorted from something else in the environment - OR possibly BA just doesn't do well in a pot in general?
So the question - will these recover next year? I am very very tempted to plant them in the ground under the tree. Everytime I see that huge elegans of Jonny's growing under a maple I am even more tempted to do it. I know a lot of you are going to say don't do it!!!
SO.... should I leave them in the pots one more year; bring them IN the unheated porch for winter and see if they look better next year? Is there a chance they will look just as bad?
Find another place to plant them in-ground? (not my fav option - I REALLY wanted them under this tree).

Plant them under the tree and see what they do?

I know I have lost the chance for them to look good this year and thats OK - I am learning. But i want to give them the best chance possible to look good next year.

Sorry this is so long - but if it were you what would you do?
This is the tree area as it is now; it get morning sun from the east then shade all day.

Comments (3)