Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_beard89

Hillside Hosta la Vista

Jon 6a SE MA
10 years ago

With all the rain we have had everything is exploding on the 'Hillside'

Path alongside the 'Hillside' where Shasta takes me for a walk each morning.

Whirlwinds flank the Empress followed by alternating Whirlwind and NOID border.

Paul's Glory. 2nd year.

Lower level: Blue Mouse Ears, Abiqua Drinking Gourd, Elegans, Sum and Substance.

Minuteman border, Sum and Substanced flanked by 2 Elegans, up to Night Before Christmas.

2nd year Sagae on upper level.

One of 2 Great Expectations on the upper level. Each has gone from one eye to two in this their second year. Seem to like it in this spot.

A few of the 5 Fragrant Bouquets lined up on the upper level.

Twilight on UL.

Dream Queen. Still one eye (a year ago last Fall), but huge, colorful elephant ears.

Albo Marginata going wild with a couple of scapes (new)

Island Charm, way at the top of the hill.

I will re-visit other areas when they grow out a little. Maybe someday I will be able to get some pictures with the sun shining...if it ever does again.

Hope you like my Hillside 'Hosta la Vista'

Jon

Comments (21)

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

"Come on, Make My Day" guess you just did!
    "Hosta la Vista, baby!" :) WW

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Oh, I DO like you Hillside 'Hosta la Vista' . . You have a woodland wonderland. . Nice place for morning walks!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks WW. I tried to get out to catch some of the glimpses of sun before I went out to take the pictures, but no dice.....oh well, 'If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster'

sidney 1515, Shasta 'designed' the path, I can't take credit for that.

The hillside a few weeks ago.

Jon

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Looks great, Jon. If I went down the rabbit hole, I envision I'd wind up in a place that looks like Hosta la Vista.

Don B.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...and you might run into the Mad Hatter walking his dog.

Jon

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Looking great Jon. Lot's of space for plants to grow. And with all the rain we are getting, things are growing fast in these parts. Another 2-3 inches today and tomorrow. I haven't had to water at all this Spring.

Steve

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

Beautiful job Jon! My GE is still only 1 eye in it's 2nd year.

Stay dry!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Jon, I love pics 1 and 6. To me it almost seems like 'Night Before Christmas' is in motion, like a spider, advancing on 'Sum and Substance'. Just an observation.

Don B.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all,

The only watering I have done is when adding something new. Even with new plantings nothing besides initial watering in has been necessary.

One of my GEs has started to scape (the one I didn't step on. I do like the Night Before Xmas. It was a big plant at purchase which was a year ago last Fall. It's getting very big, very fast.

Jon

• suncoastflowers
    8 years ago

Jon,

Do you have a picture of the MMs with the S&S behind it from last year?

Jon 6a SE MA thanked suncoastflowers
  • Tiddisolo Wales UK
    8 years ago

Hostas in Wonderland.

Beautiful job Jon.

Dave

Jon 6a SE MA thanked Tiddisolo Wales UK
  • Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ut2nc photo from 6/22 last Summer. I am going to move that stone edging further out and a little to the left, giving the MM a little more breathing room, also give the edging some better support (its sinking a bit).. The dwarf conifer has been moved out so I will move one of the Minutemen over from the far right over to the left to stop it from looking so heavy left.

The two Elegans and the SS will be overlapping this year. There used to be an additional Abiqua Drinking Gourd and a Blue Angel in that spot. They have obviously been moved out......oh well, that is what we have shovels for. :-)

Jon

• suncoastflowers
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Perfect ! Thank you! I love the combo. It looks just like I hoped it would be! I hope I have my MM enough room. If not I can always easily thin the mondo/monkey grass and move it further out. I planted 7 very small MM and two young S&S. Behind them. The S&S have some frost damage and the grass is new and spindly also ( sounds kind of horrible when Zi describe it) , but I'll take a picture later in the summer.

This is along the front edge of a shade new garden where I have some seating. I was hoping for a little privacy without completely hiding it. I have a Shade Fanfare to one side on the other side of a small tree but we'll see how I like it there. It might be too similiar without being the same it it or might be fine.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You have a contagious enthusiasm. I can't wait to see the pictures.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    8 years ago

Jon - fun to see how your hostas have grown...we KNOW they'll get bigger...but to actually see a pic of the change is always so surprising...

Jon 6a SE MA thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • bchosta 8b west coast canada
    8 years ago

Jon - great use of dry stone rock to accentuate and showcase your plants!

BC

Jon 6a SE MA thanked bchosta 8b west coast canada
  • zkathy z7a NC
    8 years ago

Ut2nc, congratulations on a successful search! So glad you found a picture of the look you envisioned!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    8 years ago

Yes- and it is a great combo!

Jon 6a SE MA thanked windymess z6a KC, Ks
  • Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A little less than 3 feet windy, They were pretty much all touching last year. Realistically I will move the edging and the MMs all forward and space them out a little further.

To answer your question (sooner or later I get around to it) my goal was to have them overlapping forming a border. There is a large oak to the right and a large pine to the left (neither shown) which with the centered stone edging and the Minutemen spread out some and centered will 'picture frame' the bed.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    8 years ago

Thanks Jon. Well, they're pretty in these photos, and they'll be pretty whether or not you space them out... I like the way the repetition, as a border, 'leads the eye' along. I'm going to try something similar in my (much smaller) space.

I also like the way you have combined solids with variegated throughout the hillside. And the variegateds that are near each other are very different so they won't 'compete' for attention, but rather complement: i.e., Night Before Christmas and Fragrant Bouquet. Visually interesting but still calm.

Taking notes.....

Jon 6a SE MA thanked windymess z6a KC, Ks
Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996