Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arickrock

New Member - Help with special Hostas

arickrock
9 years ago

Greetings fellow Hosta lovers,

New to the forum but not to forums. Frequent a couple motorcycle and rock climbing forums. Love all the passion you can find on sites like this....anyways lets get to the point.

Ive loved hostas since a kid.....planted a few different varieties two years ago and have since just discovered there are hundreds/thousands of them out there.

My plan is to grow extra potted hostas of various varieties and gift them out to friends and family. Currently I have a Rainbows end and Satisfaction that I got from Lowes and split into smaller pots. Ideally I have some special people in mind and I would like to get a Hosta growing for them that has some meaning to them. Best Idea I can come up with at this point is meaning via their location.

Without doing any crazy research can anyone point me to some varieties that have any connection to these locations? Either by name or by where they originated from or close too?

I am in Charlotte NC.

Locations of family and friends:

Two Harbors, MN
Lexington, KY
Louisville, KY
Pittsburgh, PA
Wilmington, NC

I would love to be able to hand these folks some beautiful hostas that have a little story with them!

Thanks in advance and you all have such BEAUTIFUL plants in all the pictures you post.

Thanks,
Aaron

Comments (16)

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Have you discovered the Hosta library on the internet??? Alphabetical with photos..... Maybe you will find some names of interest. That being said, not all in the library are available commercially. Check out some of the bigger online vendors like hallsons, naylor creek, plant delights etc too. Welcome to the forum!! Hopefully others here will provide more specific suggestions.

• wiscogirl
    9 years ago

How about Frisian Waving Steel for Pittsburg? Naylor Creek has is -beautiful -It's on my wish list. There is also a Minnesota Wild but don't know where to get it -I'd try a Minn. nursery. Liberty might be good for PA as well. NC -I think there is Raleigh Remembrance or Remember Raleigh? =Again, I'd try a same state nursery. KY -maybe a famous race horse or whiskey? -Just some ideas -have fun!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Hostahosta.com is in North Carolina.

Plantsdelights.com is also in NC, but is probably better in person than by mail order.

I think both carry pretty large inventories.

bk

• arickrock
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the great ideas wiscogirl. Those are exactly the type of suggestions I was looking for. Just a little something that I can give a little back story too and hopefully spark their interest in these awesome plants.

I have looked a little at the library but unless I am not looking at it in the right format its kind of annoying to have to click through each individual letter of the
    alphabet(and then subs within that) to see all the names.

I believe I have been to both of those websites bkay2000 but havent looked extensively. Will certainly re-visit.

Anyone have a particular time of year they like to gift their hostas? As they are coming up so folks can enjoy the growth stage or after its already filled out for the spring?

• User
    9 years ago

Naylor has Minnesota Wild. I just bought it from him at the AHS convention last week, and I'm smitten with it.
    Another option (also from Naylor) for midwest is Prairie Moon.
    http://www.naylorcreek.com/

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

You might consider purchasing a hosta that has a name related to particular hobby or interest that someone has. There are many hostas that are listed under certain themes---like cars, music, religion, movies etc. I have copied the link for you.

I was also thinking that many of these hostas are more difficult to find. You should expect to have to mail order them rather than find them at a local garden nursery. That being so, it will be more expensive. Not sure whether you had considered this or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Theme Gardens

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

If you are just looking for names, I have two suggestions. One is to look at Don R's hosta lists. He just has names. He also has theme gardens. You'll have to download the theme beds info. I've not looked at it before, but it should be just names, too. (I've never been interested in theme gardens) I'll put a link to Don's lists below.

The other idea is to use the hosta registrar. That's where hosta are registered. You can look something up by a partial name, such as tar heel, Carolina, etc. Any name with that word in it will come up. It's at www.hostaregistrar.org.

They are just the same as the hosta library, though. Not all named varieties are still available. Some never were generally available. Once you get some possible names, come back and one of us will look them up in the hosta finder to find who sells them currently.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: Don R's hosta lists

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Lovely idea. I would love it if somebody gave me a hosta with some history.

DD

• dg
    9 years ago

Just a thought, I searched for, ordered and received this year:
    'Wily Willy'
    'Alice in Wonderland' and
    'Emma'
    for the names of special people in my life.

• arickrock
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys/gals absolutely rock. I will no doubt check out those links and come up with some candidates that hopefully I can find to buy.

Have no problem mail ordering and purchased from bridgewood gardens twice now. Hope to split off a little piece of each one for myself too.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

For North Carolina, you should get Tarheel Blue. It's available at Green Hill Farm in NC. It's a gorgeous blue.

• arickrock
    Original Author
    9 years ago

funnthsun - I saw that one today. My great friends in Wilmington are about to get married and she would love that one. He on the otherhand is a Duke fan. Should make for a spicey marriage!

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

I had one called Carolina Blue. I probably still have it somewhere in the bed. It holds the blue color well late into the season..

• User
    9 years ago

For Two Harbors, I would look for h. 'Lake Superior' or h. 'Gitchigumi.' 'Great Lakes Gold' is another to consider.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

In addition to steel, Pittsburgh is also known for bridges. I see one called Bridgeville in the Hosta Library, as well as another one called Allegheny River.

For Lexington, it would be great if there was a name that relates to bourbon, though I don't know of one. There are other drink-related names such as Gin and Tonic, Frozen Margarita and Five O'clock Somewhere. There's one called Bluegrass Country, though I'm not sure you can find it anywhere.

How about Smooth Sailing or Ocean Isle for Wilmington? I believe the latter is available at Plant Delights, and if you've never been to an open house there, I highly recommend it. Their plants are a bit expensive, but substantial and healthy.

• arickrock
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now were talking! Keep them coming! Those are all such great suggestions that no doubt will spark some interest. Ive already been setting the bait and telling some people to hold certain spots in their gardens.