Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaflover76

Need an Impressive Draping Large Hosta

leaflover76
10 years ago

For the last 6 years I've had a grafted Euonymus tree in this location and this year it died.

{{gwi:916849}}

Prior to this I've had a Weeping Crab Apple and prior to that a Harlequin Maple. Trees do not grow in this spot. So forget about trying to grow a tree in this location. I've put a decorative pedestal in the middle. Im now thinking of putting a large draping hosta in a pot on top of the pedestal. What would compliment this setting? The yard faces west and gets afternoon sun. Im in Ontario, near Lake Erie.

{{gwi:1020975}}

Comments (17)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I think my first instinct would be to extend the bed out and make more horizontal interest (aka "more room for hostas" :). You could widen it to either side and choose a few favorites to fill in.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for your question...I'll leave it to the pros!

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Dancing Queen for sure. Probably Gilt By Association as well although it's not as sun tolerant as DQ.

Steve

• User
    10 years ago

How about Niagara Falls? It gives the flowing effect.
    In a container, you'll have to be more aware of watering because the western sun will heat up the roots a lot. Then, where will you put it for the winter? You have an unheated spot in the shed or something?

One thing I do where there is no shade at all, is to use umbrellas. I have 4 market umbrellas in my Back40 which make it possible to locate hosta in places otherwise too hot for them.

But I'm with Jadie on putting an "edger" border to extend the diameter of your nice existing bed, and then have your pedestal with a big pot on it in the middle. Leave a spot somewhere to get through the circular bed to tend to the focal point hosta. If you go with gold for the pedestal plant, then consider blue or more gold or variegated for the perimeter.

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

I was also going to suggest Niagara Falls.
    I'm not sure if it would take full sun, but Bridal Falls might also fit the spot. It is a variegated sport of Niagara Falls, though large, instead of giant. Mine is only first year, but the leaves have a lovely flow.

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

How about Jade Cascade. Mine takes a lot of sun. . How about Hirao Supreme or Hirao Majesty. . . Or how about Kiwi Hippo which is a H. hypoleuca x H. longipes cross with lavender flowers. The leaves are very tough and can take a lot of wind and sun. This one is under a Sycamore tree and still grows. . lol

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I think you need something with color. My first thought was Bridal Falls too, but I haven't tested that one in the sun yet.

I wouldn't put Dancing Queen there. We're at 42 degrees north and it burns up for me. How about Kruggerand? Mine's just a baby (only 5 or so leaves), but look at the color:

Melissa has a beautiful Kruggerand, maybe she'll post hers.

I'm trying to get my hands on Rich Uncle and test that one in the sun. I think HostaFreak Phil has this one.

Gesila

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Another thought: to contrast Honeybells and to complement the pedestal, I would use a large green hosta with a white edge. Silk Kimono drapes and has wavy edges, similar in habit to Honeybells, but not exactly the same. It's been around long enough you could probably get a mature division.

Beverly

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Montana Aureomarginata

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

A lot of very good suggestions. I'll throw 'Spring Fling' in there as well.

Don B.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

I say plant 5 different types you like in pots, and rotate them to your hearts desire !

If the one on the stand is getting sun beaten put it in the shade awhile and next guy goes to the pedestal.

• irawon
    10 years ago

What is the circumference of the top of that pedestal, Leaflover? It doesn't look like it would support a huge hosta.

• User
    10 years ago

Gesila mentioned Rich Uncle...oh boy is it a crisp and golden hosta, with short flower scapes. Mine has triplet scapes opening white flowers this week, looks like popcorn right now. I am very fond of it. I am also partial to golds which hold their color.

Here is one of the latest shots:

• User
    10 years ago

I agree with Leafwatcher. Pot up a couple of them at the very least. Then rotate. It is one of the advantages of container hosta. Might as well take a shot at it, eh.....

• leaflover76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I never thought of potting up a few hosta and then rotating. That's brilliant! Currently I have (waiting for planting): Bridal Falls, Goodness Gracious, American Halo, Regal Splendor, Dark Star, Alligator Shoes, Designer Jeans, American Sweetheart and Cathedral Windows. I dont know the sun tollerance of any of those though, they are new to me.

Wasn't sure about choosing a yellow hosta for the pedestal. I thought the color contrast would be pretty. Im also looking into buying a small hosta and making another ring around the Honeybells. May take me roughly 14 of them but it would be a beautiful effect to have the outer ring a small hosta, then a ring of honeybells then a "fountain" of gold on top. What do you think?

My pedestal is roughly 14 inches.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

See, Leafwatcher? You're a twisted genius!

Don B.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

hahahhaah, I was purely an enabler on this thread !

• User
    10 years ago

I must say, it is going to be a treat to drive down your street. First week you view the new hosta on a pedestal, it is what you expect to see thereafter. Then one morning you pass by and it is...not the same plant, or is it.....so you slow down that evening and yes it is a different HOSTA.......and thereafter it seemed to be changed often, the traffic by the house became obviously heavier......and the hosta kept changing.

It is going to be the sensation of the neighborhood, eh....
    Or as they say down in Cajun country way south of I-10, "I'd do it, me." Go for the variety.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!