Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Camera has been busy...

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

I've been taking lots of pics - a lot of cabin fever to work off this year. Always happy to have you add your pics.

Lemon Frost - new, always room for a small hosta

Abba Dabba Do - looks so chaotic right now. Will probably spread out at least 1/2 again on width. Amazing how fast it emerges once it is ready.

On Stage seedling started in 2011 - wonderful yellow and substance is ok. I'll have to track color, don't seem to have any pics later in summer

Celtic Dancer - leaf will eventual twist and turn at tip, maybe in a year or two. Supposed to be more upright as well.

Fireworks - still unfurling, but started to color up nicely over the last couple of days.

Galaxy - still all streaked divisions. Yellows go to white over the summer.

Eola Salad Bowl - what great curls and color when it arrives in spring.

Empress Wu - making a nice jump this year as well - 1 eye when planted in 2011 and 7 this year.

Regal Chameleon - one of a few I planted in root control bags under an Amur Maple. RC seems to be happy in the bag and in shade.....the others have been a slow go, though shade is pretty heavy. Center will green up.

Crepe Suzette - nice little low growing hosta with fresh spring colors. Center will darken and edges lighten to white/cream.

Vanilla Cream - new

American Hero - another small green with white center I picked up in 2011. A bit slow arriving and filling out this year.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (14)

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Thanks for looking.

And thanks for the eye-candy, Paul!

Pieter

• irawon
    10 years ago

Hi Paul, those are great looking hostas. Thank your camera for me for taking such great pictures.

What size spinout bag did you use for your Regal Chameleon? The reason I ask is that a gardenweb member who lives in Ottawa contacted me to offer me some bags at a very good price. She travelled all the way to Illinois last fall to buy the cloth and bags.

Do you plant the hosta in the bag first and then set the bag in the ground? Would appreciate knowing how you go about it as it will save me some time figuring this out.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I just bought Abba Dabba Do so it was nice to see the mature plant. Regal Chameleon is stunning, looks like a vase shaped hosta? Galaxy is going on my must have list. Thanks for posting. Marg

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

'Regal Chameleon' takes my breath away. Organize a search!!
    Great plants - easy to see why your camera is in high gear.
    Jan

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Very pretty plants. Aaaah, hostas!

• esox48
    10 years ago

Nice shots. I have a few On Stage seedlings, both OP and crosses, and most are gold. They don't seem to go green later like the mother.

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

I like your American Hero, really sharp looking.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed your garden tour.

bk

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the comments.

irawon - 5gal bag, just dug a hole big enough for the bag, stuck the bag in the hole and filled with the soil as I was planting. I left the bag edge slightly above grade to keep any aggressive roots from climbing over. At some point I plan on digging up one of the bags and see how it's been working out underground.

esox - I think it was easily 50% yellow seedlings from On Stage. I've planted a few in the gardens and have a couple still in pots.

Paul

• irawon
    10 years ago

Paul, thanks for the info. I got a lot of 5 gal bags from the nice lady who read old GardenWeb posts and contacted me. I found myself cutting away a lot of the upper material of the 5 gallon bags because they were a lot taller than I was willing to dig down. Same as you I might have to upgrade to the 10 gallon bags in time.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Bumped.....I've been doing some surfing to look at pics of my new hosta acquisitions (specifically Vanilla Cream) when I ran across this thread. It was posted a week before I joined the forum...it's the first glimpse for me of a "root control bag" meaning a "spin out", I presume? So THAT'S what these bags look like! Interesting..looks very hefty.

Paul, I've never heard of, much less seen a Royal Chameleon. It's gorgeous. I'm wondering how it looks today. Psssst, any chance of seeing that? Thnx..:-). I'll never tire of saying how beautiful your plants are....when I visualize my gardens and how I want them to look, I think of yours. What an inspiration!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Thanks for the photos. Great looking hosta!

bk

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, Regal Chameleon is a Krossa Regal Sport and goes to pretty much solid color in July.....below is a pic from July three years ago. There are a couple of similar sports of KR that color up - I think Melissa has Regal Promenade a streaked version.

and here is Vanilla Cream from a week ago-

Paul

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Thanks, Paul..you are so accommodating..appreciate it.

I'm sooooo glad I picked VC up...seeing Jim's gardens and his separate section which included VC made me want it....now that I also see your lovely close-up, I'm really happy....the colours are so subtle...lovely.

I've got to admit...anything related to KR has GOT to be good! Similar sentiment about June, IMO. Here's hoping for a KR sport surprise in my garden someday. :-).

Thank you once again, Paul.
    Jo