Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Paradise Joyce - reminds me of June but want one

I have only seen one, about 3 years ago...went on a road trip to Paris, Ontario to a hosta grower's home ( he only had about 800 hosta ) and came home with the following: Wolverine, Cracker Crumbs, Aristocrat, Kifukurin Otome Ki, Silver Threads and Golden Needles, Sweet Bo Peep.

His Paradise Joyce was large and established but didn't have enough distinction for me to bring it home. I guess I am looking for a duplicate of what I see in my book...silly me, huh? My wolverine STILL does not look like it does in the book, but it's young...I will be patient (not my strong suit)...persistence and tenacity I do have though...waiting...waiting...

Who has a PJ that I can drool over please?

Comments (22)

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

One of my very favorites.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Drooling.....

Gesila

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Oh now that is gorgeous.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After seeing that beauty I had to pick myself off the floor!

See??? THAT'S WHY I LOOOOOVE JUNE...and I am on the road to "collecting" as many sports/offspring/whatever else they are called, of June I can....it's gotta be that clean, elegant look that hooks me in...'sedately regal' is what I think of...picture in your mind High Society. /. Aristocrat / Halcyon (not in proper order by any means) First Frost / Devon Green ...a nice crisp but substantial leaf. ... Gee, I ramble...

See what your Paradise Joyce did to me? Maybe I have a concussion?...?

reminder to self ... Wednesday...nursery...buy Paradise Joyce...

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

josephines67: where is that hosta place in Paris? Im the same zone as you (in Ontario) and Im not far from Paris. I would love to drive over to that grower and gander at his 800 hosta.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I second that, I am also in 5b in Ontario. Paris is probably about an hour and a half drive or so but worth it!

Original Author
    10 years ago

He had an impressive property and I've seen a few!! Unfortunately he and his wife sold it last year. When last we emailed, he wasn't sure the new owner would carry on with the home business, but it was called Tyndall Woods..his name is Keith Tyndall and he helped to identify a few of my mysterious hostas ( given to me nameless). He was/is helping a friend of his with his hosta business in Waterton..I was thinking of checking it out sometime...

Should I look Keith up and see what's new???

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

josephines67: YES PLEASE!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

PJ is a much taller plant.. much bigger size potential ...

and i seen to think.. it greens up somewhat .. later in the season..

ken

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Ken, my Paradise Joyce starts out dark, the center changes to yellow and then kind of a pale yellow white. Right now she's in deep shade so changes come slow. If I can remember, I'll post pics of her color changes. I need to move her out because the one and only maple I have is growing bigger. We cut down seven or eight maples a few years back but the last one was not going to fall in the direction we wanted it so it stayed and I have learned to work around it.

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Thank you marric. I looked it up and I plan to go visit. I looove finding new hosta sources. You just gave me a little gift.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just checking in...and YES, that's it, Keltyn Woods was Keith's.

You are in for a treat - its a veritable hosta paradise...prices were reasonable when we were there two years ago ... - and you might want to bring along some mosquito repellant, just in case. It's a woodsy environment.

HAPPY hosta-hunting!

If anyone reading this thread finds Paradise Joyce there, post your finds. I'd be interested to hear how you enjoyed it. Jo.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sidney 1515...would love to see more pics as colour changes

What you described sounds like the pic i saw in Diana Grenfell and Michael Shadrack's pocket guide to hostas...page 141 ... ( Just in case you have book) thanks. Jo.

I was thinking of placing June and her relatives in a pleasing mix...any suggestions on what "neutral" hosta to insert to showcase the Junes?

Getting a Paradise Joyce would be splendid to add to the family.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Referenced pocket book re PJ..quote: "needs full sun in cooler climates for stronger leaf colouring, elsewhere shade".

Cooler climate is me I guess...it makes no reference to it being viridescent.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Yup... just the opposite of viridescent... starts out all green for me, no hint of markings... then the center goes light green, chartreuse, yellow... and the one in more light actually goes pretty close to white.

Years ago we rented a car in Paris and visited Normandy, then went through Belgium, dropping in on Danny van Eechaute, then on to Holland.

We went looking for Paradiseweg... I believe that is "Paradise Way" - the road Marco Fransen's nursery is located on. We found the place and started wandering around. I couldn't get over fields of hostas growing in lines in full sun. Holland is so far north that the sun isn't as strong as a lot of us deal with.

Having heard Marco Fransen's name so often and knowing what a force in he'd become in the hosta world, we were expecting an old grizzled hosta veteran. Instead we found a neat little farm and a huge shaded hoophouse being looked over by a youngish blonde woman. At first we thought she was a teenager, but when she got closer we realized she had to be in her 30s.

We took lots of pictures. A lot of plants were potted up... including some massive 30 gallon pots of hostas they use for the big European plant shows. We must have seemes suspicious and eventually she came up to check on us. We explained we were Americans and couldn't bring any plants back with us, but we wanted to see the famous Paradise Hosta farm.

Her English wasn't very strong, so she went and got a big Dutchman... way over 6' and a build that suggested he could lift a cow. We chatted for a while - and found out this was Marco himself. Young guy... and the blonde was none other than his wife Joyce - already famous via Paradise Joyce, Marco's own selected sport from Halcyon.

A great morning... two neat folks who didn't want their three boys growing up in the city, so they built up a farm - and now I'd have to say Marco is a pivotal figure in the hosta world. Nice, humble, funny... hosta people are pretty great!

• User
    10 years ago

Informative commentary, Idiothe. I'll remember that about Paradise Joyce now.

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Thanks Jim, very interesting. . and "colorful" explanation. . lol What a treat that must have been for you to see! Did you take pictures of your trip?
    I have Paradise Joyce under a dawn redwood. That would explain why the year we trimmed up the under branches on the redwood we got an explosion of color. I suspected as much, which is why I thought to mover her as the maple started to gain mass. I hate those maples, but the green heron love them as much as I hate them. The farmers tap the sugar maples around here, too. One man's trash is another man's treasure. .

Maybe when I move her I will separate some for different light areas and experiment a bit.

Here's another picture to get more of a size comparison. . sorry, it's not the best picture but at least give a bit of an idea of size. Green Gold is to the right with Fire and Ice in the front.

Jim, glad to see you survived the storms. We had a storm last night that sent us to the basement. Blessedly it parted over us and went both sides of us. More storms coming through tomorrow for us though.

This post was edited by sidney1515 on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 7:06

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

I couldn't find a mid pic of Paradise Joyce, but I did find a one of her just before the frost. I was out taking pics of who held on to the end and who didn't. . lol
    This was taken from the other side of her now with Fire and Ice in front and Green Gold to the left.
    Bad picture but shows a bit of her change.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

thanks, Sidney... that's the reminder I needed. The older leaves going to parchment white while the plant continues to produce newer leaves with yellow centers...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Enjoyed the Interesting story, Idiothe about France and Paradise Joyce..what a trip!
    Sidney...your PJ seems to "glow" in that last picture...it is simply beautiful, as are all your others.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

marric, thank you so much! Road trip :)