Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janegael

Golden Meadows isn't coloring, is it getting enough sun?

JaneGael
10 years ago

I have a Golden Meadows that was dark last year when it was smaller. This year it grew well and started to get the beautiful color and now is back to being a dull green. Is this because it isn't getting enough sun? It's in a very shady area where it gets little direct sun, although it does get some.

If it is a lack of sun when would be the best time to move it?

Comments (7)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Excess green would be chlorophyll building up to allow enough photo synthesis. Placing it in more sun would lower the Chlorophyll and reduce the green.

Move it into more sun or trimming some of the branches (if possible) to allow more sunshine in should reduce the green and restore some contrast.

Jon

• User
    10 years ago

Mine is turning darker now too. The shade canopy is more leafed out, and the plant responded by darker leaves. Mine is in a pot, so no problem moving it to another site. It still looks pretty, only it is darker. I will move it when it finishes blooming. I wanted it near Journey's End until then.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Moc,

Are you sure that's a Golden Meadows.

Mine.

Jon

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Janegael,

Golden Meadows is genetically programmed to start out the year creamy and then fade to green. You can't stop it, but I was recently advised that to slow the transition you can place it in more sun, but it will inevitably always go to some sort of dull if not dark green in the middle by the end of the season.

Mocc . I'm with Jon on this one, not sure you have GM there, but it could also just be immature.

Here's my Golden Meadows on 5/11/2013

And then again on 5/30/2013

And here is what was supposed to be Guardian Angel, but is actually a dud from TC, confirmed by Chris @ Hallson.

Fwiw,

Ludi

This post was edited by Ludisia on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 20:16

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

My GM does keep coloring most of the year... but certainly not the same coloring as in the beginning of the season.

I honestly don't know if it's a sun thing (mine gets an hour or so of morning sun, followed by dappled..... or perhaps its a heat thing.

But I do not experience the big color swings that many from the forum do.

I will, however, say that my GM, when I bought it, was almost all green.... forum folks advised me to watch it to see if it had color in the spring. Lo and behold. Voila!... Spring color!

• User
    10 years ago

Oops, I just saw the question about my Golden Meadows.
    Yes, it is a GM. It was quite like everyone else's GM when it arrived last year from Naylor. Hope I have a pic of it on Flickr to show you.

Here it is in November 2012

and then earlier this spring with all the Naylor crew. Same pot, by the way. No mixing thing up. It's down front.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of mine taken yesterday. I am in Maine and mine is in direct morning sun. Whirlwind is in the same bed and is still white in the middle.