Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Newest Pics of my garden(s)

esther_b
10 years ago

Hosta garden as seen from above.

Garden Cat, guarding the hostas. Notice the sturdy airplane cable "leash" making sure the Garden Cat doesn't "stray" from the tree. Notice also the foam cable-tied to the top of the DANGEROUS Adirondack fencing, heh-heh.

Main garden with “safe” foam trellis for the clematis.

Georgia Peach heuchie, sho’ enuf.

Ginger Snap baby heuchie.

Gypsy Rose, lonely in the corner of the Neighbor’s Plot.

Hosta Little Treasure, in the hosta garden under the tree.

Heucherella Gold Zebra, in the Neighbor's Plot.

Hosta Paradise Island, getting bigger in the Neighbor's Plot.

Hosta Rainforest Sunrise, growing some new leaves and recovering from transplant, in the Neighbor's Plot.

Hosta Remember Me, oh-so-lovely, in the Neighbor's Plot.

Hosta Sparkler, one of my new lil' cuties, in the hosta garden under the tree.

Hosta Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, the gorgeous specimen I got from Made in the Shade, in the hosta garden under the tree.

Hosta Raspberry Sundae with a leaf somebody noshed on, in the hosta garden under the tree.

Corner of the main garden, with the lantana showing off in the top of the strawberry jar and the rose Easy Does It blooming its head off.

Corner of the main garden.

Comments (15)

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Such happy pics! Do you and your neighbor share a garden plot? (And do you make tags for him/her as well?)

I ask because my neighbor has a huuuuuge shady lot beside ours and no one has bothered to do much with the plot. It's prime hosta property and right now all it's doing is gathering weeds (and tormenting me).

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Very Nice gardens, Love the strawberry pot with it's arrangement . Hopefully chained down too
    This is the dangerous fencing involved in such an extensive discussion? They sure made an issue of such a tiny fence. In my mind it was 6 feet high with 6 inch spikes. lol I see the situation is under control now and any worm or slug passing over it will definetly not hurt themselves now . Good to see you are safety aware

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you.

Weekend, the Neighbor's Plot is the area in which the upstairs and downstairs neighbors in the next unit over are allowed to plant flowers. After 4 years of asking them if they were going to plant something there and hearing, "Maybe", this year they both flat out ceded the plot to ME. Once I dug out a bunch of sod and added a whole lot of good garden soil and compost, I planted alternating hostas and heucheras. So now you are up on what the Neighbor's Plot is.

Almosthooked, the first picture posted, that of the hosta garden seen from above, best shows the DANGEROUS 6" Adirondack fencing which actually has no pointy parts at all. Instead of replacing the fencing, as was suggested (and expen$ive), I got foam tubes meant to install on the metal poles making up a trampoline. I slit them lengthwise and used nylon cable ties to adhere them securely to the top of my DANGEROUS fencing. Same thing with the clematis trellis. It was deemed DANGEROUS because it might blow into the building during a tornado or something. So I made an arched trellis of trampoline foam, camo duct tape and some trellis netting.

• luckykat13
    10 years ago

So cute! Nice job. Even with all the hazardous building materials:)

• tepelus
    10 years ago

If a tornado blew through, that trellis should be the least of the landlord's worries.

Karen

• netcub
    10 years ago

Thats a Neat Idea for garden markers... Where do you get them made?

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Very nice Esther. I love the foam on top of your dangerous Adirondack fence!

Hope your heuchies do better than mine have done in past years. Once I moved the mulch away from them, they seemed to do a lot better.

I love the Garden Cat. SS that you have to leash it to your tree. I count my blessings that all of our 35,000 lights and thousands of dollars of electrical equipment that controls them are still there on New Years day.

Gesila

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moccasin, thank you so much for your profuse compliments. The "bones" of my gardens are perennials, filled out by various annuals each year. I mix in some Plant-tone and Osmacote when I prepare the soil before any plants have emerged. I stoop over and pull out any weeds that I see, as my plots are small enough to do that. It's very funny that you should mention smiles and hand waves from neighbors. I live down the street from one of the major city colleges. Not only do any and all neighbors nod and smile when they see me out watering my gardens (well, THAT'S not necessary tonight, major rainstorm going on right now and a floodwatch), but a great deal of the passing students compliment me as well. That makes me feel like I'm doing a community service.

I was just thinking as I walked out this morning that since I started my elaborate gardens, more and more of the neighbors on my side of the street have taken the plunge. I am definitely seeing more garden plots being planted, both in front of the Obligatory Bushes, and in the soil squares located in the courtyards (some buildings are in courtyards here, some merely line the street like mine). I cannot say whether more people are gardening because they saw my gardens and got inspired, or if it was a case of convergent thinking. But my gardens do seem to be an epicenter, outward from which I see the newly planted gardens (even if it's just a row of petunias or such) up this year. If so, hurray! We all need more flowery beauty and the peace it brings in our lives.

Gesila, the only heuchies I've had so far were Marmalade and Georgia Peach. As you can see, Marmalade is doing fabulously. The original Georgia Peach specimen wasn't the best one, it was the last one the local nursery had. This may well have contributed to its not making it through the winter. The nursery told me that since my new GP in its 12" pot is in a sheltered location, in the lee of the Obligatory Bushes, a bit of sheltering bubble wrap or such should be sufficient to get it through winters. I am thrilled that all my new baby heuchies are really growing apace, faster than my small hostas. I hope the baby heuchies continue in their robust health!! Maybe with Garden Cat watching over them, they will. Garden Cat's origin came from my spotting this adorable wire cat face on the 75% off table with other Halloween stuff. Finding just the right pot as a backdrop was quite a bit harder. I think I went to 4 stores/nurseries before luck drew my eye to the perfect white pot. All right, it wasn't on sale, but I bought it anyway because it was perfect for my Garden Cat.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Yahooie, yippie, hooray. ESTHER THE CONQUEROR - Veni Vidi Vici. Just thinking of all you went through and seeing what you've done gives me goosebumps and a huge smile. Thank you, WW

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Looks great, Esther. Thank God you put that foam on top of that Adirondack fencing. Lord only knows how many lives you've already saved.

Don B.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, Don, and my handicapped neighbor 2 doors down in the wheelchair has 5 FEET of that DANGEROUS Adirondack fencing, identical to mine, UNCOVERED and NAKED. L-rd only knows how many lives it's already taken, what with possible impalement. Perhaps it's become a magnet for suiciders, although with our crappy maintenance guys, the bodies would still be there. It could fall and injure some ants, I suppose, adding to the toll of victims. Or a passerby could decide to pull it out of the ground and wear it to the next Halloween celebration in Greenwich Village. Who knows? I only know that my neighbor doesn't appear to have received any threatening letters from the management, only me and the lady across the street, whose plastic fencing is completely rounded at the top. The foam was my way of actually ridiculing the management while complying with their directive. Obviously, it's worked. Bwahahahah!!!!

• Susan Talbot
    10 months ago

10 years later, I wonder how your garden looks now. 🌻

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    10 months ago

Ester, your tree garden is darling with cat standing watch….. the foam cover issue is really hilarious to say the least! As tepelus says—->least of all worries if a tornado hit!!! Really, did management say that???Yikes, the things people will say,just to be controlling!!!

debra

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    10 months ago

Susan, I believe Esther moved and remember she was going to take few hostas to live on her balcony. Hopefully it worked. 

It sure was delightful design that made me  smile, cute ans sassy minies.

I fashioned number of my labels after Esther's idea.