Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Halcyon?

Posted by prairie_love z3/4 ND (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 10:01

As you can probably tell, I am trying to "organize" my hostas. I will probably have a few more NOIDs, and a couple needing verification. I thank you all in advance for the help.

This one was planted last year, it was purchased from Hallson's. I don't see how it could be wrong. But, it is supposed to be Halcyon, and it does not look like the photos I've seen. Is it Halcyon?

IMG_6838

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I made a mistake

Ah, I take it back. This plant was NOT purchased from Hallson's. That makes me feel better in a funny way. It was purchased from a local nursery, so that makes the potential of mis-labeling higher. If you all don't think it's Halcyon, I will post more pics to try to ID.

o
RE: Is this Halcyon?

does it have a yellow edge???

and its not blue ...

so its not halcyon ..

we are going to need better pix for leaf shape ...

ken

o

I agree. It can't be Halcyon.

Halcyon

Halcyon

o

OK, that's what I thought. How could I lose the ID in less than one year????

I will get some photos of the leaves this afternoon.

o

Harryshoe, that's a gorgeous 'Halcyon'. Is it planted in full sun? Love the perennial geranium combination with it. I have purple iris with mine. I imagine that the fuschia coloured Tradescantia would have the same colour effect but then it is taller.

Could this plant/Halcyon have become green like this because the wax coating has worn off?

o

Prairie, you are in zone 3/4. I am in zone 5 and probably have my Halcyons further along than you, and mine are as blue as Harryshoe's picture shows. Note also the difference in leaf shape. Your's seems to have a yellowish border on one leaf, not a Halcyon.
Bernd

o

Harryshoe, my Halcyon's leaves are more rounded than yours. I have two. This is a division of the original.

o

I'm in zone 5b. I've been to the Hosta Library and one picture shows a 'Halcyon' just like Harryshoe's. However, some of the other pictures show some leaves like mine.

So, Prairie, my question: Is your hosta in full sun?

o

In respect to sun, I have 'Halcyon's in several hours of sun, might miss watering sometimes, and they turn yellowish-green in the heat of summer, but then miraculously blue back up in fall.

o

Here's a top view of the Halcyon-that's-not-Halcyon (and it is one of the most beat-up looking plants I have). No, it is not in full sun, it is in mostly shade, a little afternoon dappled sun. It's between a row of spruce trees and a row of poplars, where grass won't grow any more because of the shade.

IMG_6957

And it's leaf

IMG_6960

I have two other plants that I know are Halcyon, when I look at them it's obvious that the "unknown" has essentially nothing in common with them.
this one gets about 6 hours of afternoon sun every day

IMG_6956

This one gets 4-5 hours morning sun (and is a much younger plant)
IMG_6963

o

So, definitely NOT 'Halcyon'.

o

I'm guessing an immature Christmas Tree. Here's one that was in need of some TLC and hasn't quite fully gained back it's mature look.
Hosta 'Christmas Tree'

Paul

o

Good one, Paul. Flowering should seal it, shouldn't it? I think this Hosta was named Christmas Tree based on the shape of its inflorescence.

Steve

o

It does look much like your Christmas Tree! I will watch to see how it develops, and what the flowers look like and check back then.

Thank you all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here