Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Is this Halcyon?

prairie_love
11 years ago

As you can probably tell, I am trying to "organize" my hostas. I will probably have a few more NOIDs, and a couple needing verification. I thank you all in advance for the help.

This one was planted last year, it was purchased from Hallson's. I don't see how it could be wrong. But, it is supposed to be Halcyon, and it does not look like the photos I've seen. Is it Halcyon?

Comments (14)

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, I take it back. This plant was NOT purchased from Hallson's. That makes me feel better in a funny way. It was purchased from a local nursery, so that makes the potential of mis-labeling higher. If you all don't think it's Halcyon, I will post more pics to try to ID.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

does it have a yellow edge???

and its not blue ...

so its not halcyon ..

we are going to need better pix for leaf shape ...

ken

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    11 years ago

I agree. It can't be Halcyon.

Halcyon

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, that's what I thought. How could I lose the ID in less than one year????

I will get some photos of the leaves this afternoon.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Harryshoe, that's a gorgeous 'Halcyon'. Is it planted in full sun? Love the perennial geranium combination with it. I have purple iris with mine. I imagine that the fuschia coloured Tradescantia would have the same colour effect but then it is taller.

Could this plant/Halcyon have become green like this because the wax coating has worn off?

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Prairie, you are in zone 3/4. I am in zone 5 and probably have my Halcyons further along than you, and mine are as blue as Harryshoe's picture shows. Note also the difference in leaf shape. Your's seems to have a yellowish border on one leaf, not a Halcyon.
    Bernd

• irawon
    11 years ago

Harryshoe, my Halcyon's leaves are more rounded than yours. I have two. This is a division of the original.

• irawon
    11 years ago

I'm in zone 5b. I've been to the Hosta Library and one picture shows a 'Halcyon' just like Harryshoe's. However, some of the other pictures show some leaves like mine.

So, Prairie, my question: Is your hosta in full sun?

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

In respect to sun, I have 'Halcyon's in several hours of sun, might miss watering sometimes, and they turn yellowish-green in the heat of summer, but then miraculously blue back up in fall.

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a top view of the Halcyon-that's-not-Halcyon (and it is one of the most beat-up looking plants I have). No, it is not in full sun, it is in mostly shade, a little afternoon dappled sun. It's between a row of spruce trees and a row of poplars, where grass won't grow any more because of the shade.

And it's leaf

I have two other plants that I know are Halcyon, when I look at them it's obvious that the "unknown" has essentially nothing in common with them.
    this one gets about 6 hours of afternoon sun every day

This one gets 4-5 hours morning sun (and is a much younger plant)

• irawon
    11 years ago

So, definitely NOT 'Halcyon'.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

I'm guessing an immature Christmas Tree. Here's one that was in need of some TLC and hasn't quite fully gained back it's mature look.

Paul

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Good one, Paul. Flowering should seal it, shouldn't it? I think this Hosta was named Christmas Tree based on the shape of its inflorescence.

Steve

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does look much like your Christmas Tree! I will watch to see how it develops, and what the flowers look like and check back then.

Thank you all!