Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lrb3_gw

Night Before Christmas question

LRB3
10 years ago

Will the margins on Night Before Christmas widen as the plant matures? I ask because I ordered a NBC, but to my untrained eye, it looks like I might have received White Christmas instead. Certainly the HL pics of NBC and WC lead me to believe that there may have been a mix-up.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (16)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Does not look like NBC to me.

Paul

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Does not look like NBC to me either, too curly and too much white.

bk

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

It looks more like Kiwi Spearmint,which always comes up with white centers,then later turns more green in the center. Phil

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

I would have guessed American Hero - but whatever it is, it's more interesting than NBC.

• mr_gary
    10 years ago

Looks to me like H. Paleface.

• User
    10 years ago

Looks nothing like my 2nd year NBC. I don't have many hosta with large white centers because that tends to melt away in our climate. Here my NBC is at the end of May. Sort of greening up in the middle, it gets late afternoon sun primarily.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

I would say you have White Christmas there.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

This is my Night Before Christmas (I couldn't get it to post 2 pics on the same post).

• LRB3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm... In checking out the photos from the suggestions, I'm thinking it looks most like Paleface or Kiwi Spearmint, both of which have undulata parentage. It also looks like undulata Mediovariegata (or Variegata?).

After googling undulata Variegata, I came across the following from the Missouri Botanical Garden website: "The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) currently breaks down Hosta undulata into four separate varieties (var. albomarginata, var. erromena, var. undulata and var. univittata). Under RHS designation, the within plant is synonymous with Hosta undulata var. undulata."

Well, one thing's for sure - it's definitely not NBC.

Thanks for the guidance. I think I'll label it undulata Variegata in the hopes that it's at least close to accurate.

• LRB3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

old_dirt: I thought that at first until I noticed that the leaves on my mystery hosta are not as elongated as those on White Christmas. I also have WC, and the leaf shape of my WC looks exactly like yours.

To my eye, it appears the leaves on my not-NBC are wider that those on WC.

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of my NBC from this morning.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Did you contact the supplier and let them know you received the wrong plant? I've had good luck when supplying a pic along with an explanation of the issue.

• LRB3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately I have no idea where it came from.

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

What you have is Hosta 'White Elephant'. It is billed as a sport out of White Christmas that is actually a good grower. Shady Oaks (the tissue culture wholesale grower identified by your tag) sold a lot these as Night Before Christmas but they were not the correct plants (that is happening with some of their other plants too unfortunately). You could safely tag this White Elephant, which Shady Oaks is now selling and you will see more often from specialty nurseries.

Chris

• LRB3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info! Wow - for a minute I couldn't figure out what tag you were referring to, then I looked back at the picture and saw that I'd tucked the original tag into the side of the pot, and it's just barely showing in the photo. Very nice catch, and I truly appreciate it.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh now hey there, I am growing White Elephant here!

I got mine in 2011 late in the season from Bob Solberg. It is in its 3d year, right?

Here it is a recent photo.

Turning a bit greener in the middle since I moved it to more shade ...June 20, 2013

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County