Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticcottage

Are these fortunei Hyacinthina??

eclecticcottage
11 years ago

A post in the geneology thread made me think my crazy green NOIDS might be fortunei Hyacinthina.

So here are some pics-what do you think?

{{gwi:1018780}}

{{gwi:1021831}}

The first pic was in early May-they got bigger before I split them. That particular clump was WAY overcrowing the hydrangea behind it by the time I decided to split it. Now the hydrangea is overcrowding the smaller hosta I planted there in place of the noid, lol.

Comments (12)

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Take a look at Undulata Erromena also.

Paul

• Eleven
    11 years ago

Definitely not Hyacinthina, which is more like a grey-green and doesn't have a wavy margin. Here's mine this year:

They could be Erromena, which get much larger than listed most places. They should be sending up flower scapes soon with lavender blooms. Here are a couple from last year:

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

See the little waviness in the leaf margin. That means it's not Fortunei hyacinthina. It's likely Undulata erromena. Does it have loads of light purple flowers in July? If so its Undulata.

Steve

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Yours looks like H.'Elizabeth', see the Hosta Library. I have several established clumps, they are very good growers.
    Bernd

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They do flower lavender. I thought I recalled them flowering sometime in mid July last year (the very condensed version of a long weird story is that we didn't offically own the Cottage until last fall, but we were "care taking" there all summer-just not living there). However, they are sending up scapes right now, so I might be off on my timing (or it could be the weird spring weather).

Do Undulata erromena leaves start out all "crinkly"? I saw a few pics of Fortunei that were a good reflection of how mine look when they are only a month or two into the season.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean by "all crinkly". Where did you see these pictures? Can you link to them? Pieter's pic of FH emerging on the Library is typical of how most Hostas emerge.

Steve

• Eleven
    11 years ago

Haha, don't just say "Fortunei" because that's really only half of the name, and there are a several hostas with that half =) It's a whole family. I think the Hyacinthina part might be unique, if you want to shorten it.

My U. Erromena just started sending up scapes; it's the normal time of year for them here. July seems a bit late, but a lot can depend on microclimates and specific planting locations.

I think that the leaves Hyacinthina are very tight when they begin to unfurl, whereas U. Erromena unfurl much sooner (one of my first to fully open), tend to splay outwards, and are wavy.

Sorry no closeups as I have lots of these and don't document them much, but here's a pic of three clumps of U. Erromena emerging this spring:

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steve, it is in the library...so I can't post them here, but I think I can post a link to that page? It's below if it worked :P

The fourth pic down is probably the best one to show what I'm meaning. I didn't take pics of mine this year close up that would better explain the look. But you can see it in the other pics there too, where the leaves aren't all smooth. The one I piced for my "close up" shot above shows the smooth "phase" if you will, however other leaves, especially when they first unfurl, look.'.well...crinkly.

Here is a link that might be useful: fortunei Hyacinthina

• Eleven
    11 years ago

You mean corrugated?

Yours still don't look like Hyacinthina.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Yes a large number of Hosta will develop those bumps as they mature. Hyacinthina actually is smoother than most. One of the things that Hyacinthina has is a "dove gray" back of the leaves. That's pretty distinctive.

Steve

• User
    11 years ago

Oh drats, Steve, I just read this and it is dark already!! I never noticed the backs on the two supposed fortunei Hyacinthinas that I got from two separate sources, totally different they are. Well, manana is good enough for me.

• Eleven
    11 years ago

moccasinlanding, I forgot to reply to your pic posted in another thread. I think your plant on the left definitely looks like Hyacinthina. No clue to the one on the right; I guess maybe if you got a couple really immature eyes and starved them of sunlight?? Yeah, not likely, but who knows =)