Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peteyfisk

June - what would you do?

peteyfisk
9 years ago

This is my June this year. Would you remove the almost all blue piece?

Comments (11)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

It looks like 2 separate plants to me. I would dig it out as one and then see if you could gently separate what, I think, are 2 hosta.

Jon

• dg
    9 years ago

My June did that this year. I dug up (it separated easily) and planted the 'blue' one (which still had a variegated leaf with it). I've named it 'June Reversion' for it's progression pics.

Doesn't that mean we now have new a little Halcyon?

• luuk
    9 years ago

This year even my June has reverted back to a solid green. It was a single plant, I made a division and labeled as Halcyon.

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    9 years ago

This large potted June regularly throws up blue divisions.
    I can't dig it up so I just follow the leaves back to the base and twist the whole eye out.

Dave

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Me too- divided last year after seeing it reappear two years in a row. Asked about it, learned about a hosta reverting as opposed to sporting in the process. This year I see another blue leaf in the original June. Love free Halcyons! :-)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Petey, If I wanted to save the blue one, I would dig the whole thing up and separate it. If I didn't care about saving the blue part, I would take a sharp shovel or maybe a hand trowel and go right in there between the eyes and sever the blue part. That would leave the June part fairly undisturbed. You might save the blue, but also might not get enough roots to make that happen.

bk

• smorz
    9 years ago

To me... the reverted section looks far enough off of June to pull some soil away from the green part and slice it off while it is still planted. I have done this with 3 sports and a section of Fascination that reverted a month ago... n simply stuck the "new" plants in the ground elsewhere. And my original plants are seemingly undisturbed or bothered.
    Although I always kinda hold my breath as if I were performing major surgery (lolz!) when I cut into a plant like that, I just cant bring myself to baby my hostas. I drag sections around, toss them in the truck like a sack of potatoes, and occasionally leave em in the shade under a tree til I get around planting them.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Loved your comments about not babying your hostas, Smorz! Just planted a bunch of "greenies" that have been under a tree for more than a month.

Petey, the blue one is pretty, too....I'd dig it up, and separate gently...they look like they may be completely separate eyes/plants. However, if in a hurry, or didn't feel like the rigamarole, I'd shovel it out and plant it right next to it, like a Mother and Child Reunion (is only a "hosta" away...)

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Simon's Mother & Child Reunion

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hi Peteyfisk, I've been waiting with anticipation waiting for people to weigh in. Like Josephine, I've had blue leaves emerge in the center of my June the last 2 years. I've simply twisted them off. I also have Halcyon growing behind her. It just occurred to me that they might have intermingled.

Like Smorz says, the blue leaves are on the edge of your June clump, so you could shovel prune it off without disturbing the whole clump. I did that with my Fire and Ice and lo and behold the solid eyes which I replanted returned to Fire and Ice variegation.

• peteyfisk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. The blue section seems to be far enough apart to perform surgery as smorz suggests but it makes me nervous!! I want to keep the blue portion to see how it develops. Thanks again...now that I've made my first couple posts here among all you experts, I won't hold back any longer!!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I'm in the same predicament, but I've got 1 1/2 blue eyes in the middle of a pretty big clump. I guess I will try the twist out method, or maybe stick a serrated knife and try to cut it out because I don't want it reemerging next year. Ita on my late summer to do list. I hate hosta maintenance!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert