Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavendargrrl

Strange spots on Elvis Lives - yikes

lavendargrrl
9 years ago

This is something I have never seen in my hosta beds. Is this some kind of virus? Gosh...I sure hope not. Thoughts?

Comments (4)

• hostanista
    9 years ago

It almost looks like fertilizer splash burn or something...? I hope it's not virused!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I'm certainly no expert. The only way you would know for sure is to send it for diagnostics to a plant disease diagnostic laboratory (your state land-grant college probably has one).

I think it might be anthracnose. It's not a virus. It's a soil borne fungus. You spray it with a fungicide. Not all hosta are sensitive to it. I have it on my Blue Angel. I do not spray it like they told me to, so I still have it. (I hate spraying anything.)

bk

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hostanista, I haven't been putting out any fertilizer so that's not a likely candidate. bk - thanks for the suggestion about contacting the plant disease lab. I spoke first with a master gardener then the lab directly, and I am going to take some of the leaves over for testing. These spots seem to be on all of the leaves on Elvis Lives, so I am a bit alarmed since I didn't notice this happening when I was out there weeding this past Saturday. I will let y'all know what it turns out to be.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

whether there is a disease ..

the question i always wonder about... is what caused the damage.. to the integrity of the leaf surface ... to allow the disease to grab hold ...

like stuff falling out of the tree above??? ... hail??? .. extreme downpour ...

and yes ... under the micro climate idea... it can happen to one plant ...

and i know nothing about growing hosta in the hotter zones .....

another way to say it.. is that the disease.. MIGHT be an effect ... i ask.. what was the cause ...

interesting on bkays pic... not how it ends.. in an arc.. almost like a leaf above ... was protecting th the inner part of the leaf ... if so.. then one might suggest.... something hit part of the leaf.. and not the rest.. disease wouldnt have that pattern ... and what ate teh edge off????

all theory .... in my world.. rip those leaves off.. and walk away ... who cares.. it will throw out some new leaves ... i definitely would NOT default to chemicals ...

just because you are getting more intimate with your hosta.. paying more attention ... no need to go all insane about every little thing ... that said .... striving for knowledge.. is always a gold star from me ... its how we all learn ....

ken