Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

ID Help on this All Gold?

thisismelissa
9 years ago

This one emerges gold and fades to a light chartreuse. I have no idea where I got it from. I may have even inherited it from the previous owners. Any ideas?

Comments (3)

• User
    9 years ago

Melissa, taking a shot at this one. I have August Moon planted in a tub with Midas Touch. Both are gold, but Midas Touch has the crinkling of the leaves similar to yours. I show a picture from 2013 for leaf texture and comparison.

I think you have Midas Touch unless the bloom is totally different from the one shown here. The smoother leaves at top are August Moon. I'll take another closeup today of the tub, which has 2 of each variety.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Melissa, Here is a picture of my sister's August Moons. This was taken last year, June 20th. I don't remember them fading to chartreuse. They are in dappled shade all day. Yours might be something else.

Beverly

• User
    9 years ago

Another one to look at is Heartache. By Herb Benedict. Goes from gold to chartreuse later in the season. I have one of those and it is only now developing the pebbled texture. Take a look at the HLibrary photos and then this from MyHostas:
    [quote]
    ='Heart Ache'.
    20" tall. Part Sun to Light Shade.
    Yellow round/cordate leaves, slightly wavy, cupped, rugose. Lavender flowers.
    From Dr. Benedict, comes a neat new hybrid between H. 'Gold Regal' and H. ventricosa. The results are an arching 4' wide clump of wonderful thick golden rounded leaves, topped in mid summer with 40" sturdy spikes of lavender flowers.
    Gold, wavy, cupped.
    A lovely yellow with heart-shaped leaves. There will be some chartreuse tones appearing later in the season. Limited supply.
    This medium sized plant has heart-shaped leaves that are a wonderful mellow-yellow in color. Dark lavender flowers adds the final touch midseason. [end quote]

Then look at Michigan Gold, another Benedict. A cross of August Gold and Aspen Gold.

But here is Aspen Gold itself. Mine is not mature but it is developing the rugose texture. Here it is in its green phase.

and in June last year.

I did not want to show this one because the color is way off, taken with my Asus tablet on May 31 2014. But consider it is more gold than this. I'll get another shot with a different camera if it comes down to Aspen Gold. Note Inniswood is eaten by bugs but nary a sign of a bite on Aspen Gold.