Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

What is this....mushrooms or eggs?

User
10 years ago

Just wondering what this is. I found it growing in a small pot of hosta yesterday. It seems to be attached to small pieces of pine bark.

Could it be eggs? Or simply another form of mushroom/fungus? I remember someone had the shotgun fungus which exploded and spread that way, so I want to stop it if it is bad.

If it's in MY POTS, it cannot be good, because I don't intend to grow other life forms than hosta, and good nematodes that eat bad nematodes.

Comments (18)

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Moccasin, I would think if this stuff was the egg of something, it would be UNIFORM in size and shape. These things vary in size and shape. My vote goes for fungus. You could always slice some open and check them out.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Mocc, Ewwww I hate stuff like that. Remember I'm a big wuss though and freaked out over sooty mold, which water took care of. Yesterday I noticed that several hosta had leaves that were stuck together. I got a stick and carefully pried them apart. There were these HUMONGOUS big mama spiders protecting their eggs. I almost fell over running into the house. No help here, but I can't wait to read what the experts say. WW

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Your eggs will not grow root. I find Lizard ones all the time. They do not look like that.It almost looks like baby kudzu. Are they hard or soft?

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Gee, Ilovetogrow,

You have lizard eggs in your garden? Well, being in Florida, I don't doubt that. I wonder what kinds of lizards are laying eggs in your garden? Very probably that list includes green and brown anoles. How big are the lizard eggs?

I have many kinds of small pet lizards, so that is why your comment was interesting to me.

10 years ago

Esther, I do have lizards many of the darn things. They run in front of you and make you miss your step. I employ many of them in my yard. Overtime right now is a killer. The eggs are about 1/4" big, white and soft (I did not squeeze real hard though).

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BABY KUDZU?

Paula, are you telling me my SHADE PROBLEMS ARE OVER?

Hopefully that is not kudzu, but if it is, I'll fire it across the fence to a house I wish would just disappear!

I was wondering the other day, as I passed a lot which had kudzu covering the giant oak trees, what kind of seeds they made......and, I think it is illegal to plant kudzu in Atlanta, which is what I'd heard.....

Hope it isn't some aggressive life form, alien with no natural enemies.

I'll take my Xacto knife and cut into the largest one. Drats. All my reference books are in storage until after our remodel.
    I'll update when I discover the contents.

10 years ago

Kudzu comes in all sizes. It will eventually kill the oak trees you saw. each node can produce a potato. Illegal in many states.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm, Paula, I think I smell a rat.
    The piece of property with all that kudzu is within the city limits. It is prime for a shopping center development.

The oak trees are protected from cutting by city ordinance. BUT, if they die, then they must be cut down. Get the message?

Like in LouisiaNA, behind my brother's house on a small bayou just off Lake Pontchartrain, was a large wetlands. The law was, it can be reclassified as pasture land after you run cattle on it for 5 years. So, we started seeing cows on the levee back there. Then they had it reclassed and dug out some canals--the law said the dredged soil had to stay on the property either side of the canals--so they dug some 60 foot deep canals to lift the land up high enough to build houses. Luxury MacMansions they were, with room for mega yachts.

There is always a way to bend the law if you have the money and can wait. I wonder if our Urban Development department could get them to destroy the kudzu before it kills the oaks. Our city Master Gardener should take note of it too.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Ilovetogrow,

Those are beautiful green anoles you got there. We actually do have ONE species of lizard that lives around here. It is not native. It is the Italian Wall lizard, Podarcis sicula campestris. About 30 years ago, a pet store truck was involved in an accident which resulted in the release of some of these little guys around Hempstead, Long Island. They have since spread around Long Island and Queens. They are quite beautiful, just the size of your green anoles, and I assume they eat their share of bugs. I know there are some on the campus of Queens College, right down the street. I can't see why they couldn't come visit me. I spotted a gravid female and a male under the wrought iron fence bounding the Queens Botanical garden, and various neighbors a couple of blocks away have asked me what "that thing on their porch" is.

10 years ago

That is a beauty. You could lure them down the street with meal worms. Mine do not have that racing stripe. Bug Men worth their weight in gold. Too bad Kudzu is not their thing. Paula

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Yeah, my cousin lives on Lake Travis outside Austin. They are REAL tree huggers there. They can't cut down trees unless they die, but everyone knows how to make sure the ones in the way of their plans die quickly.

All it takes is a little broadleaf weedkiller.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Fire it over the fence at the neighbors' unkempt, cruddy-looking yard! I LOVE it!

You go, Mocc! : )

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

try the name that plant forum ... if you wish

ken

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I think Arkansas spends more of it's small treasury on killing Kudzu than it does on it's dirt roads. Really NASTY-NASTY stuff.

I found something that looked similar to those moc in the bottom of a nursery pot and was told they were slug eggs. In the Ozarks where I'd lived there are a lot of slugs and I have never seen snail like egg clusters so it didn't seem unfeasible that they could have been slug eggs.

Theresa

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Ah, bk, I am from Lake Travis! It hardly retains the small ranch town feel I grew up with, now that the mega-million dollar developments abound, but man I still miss that lake and those hills!

Could it really be kudzu popping up randomly in a container? I know the devil plant can appear anywhere, but I'd guess it would show up in the yard first?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paula, I think the picture above is not a kudzu, it is a potato vine.
    They can make HUGE potatos attached to the nodes. Even a tiny one, easy to miss if you are picking them up, can grow a vine just as big as the larger potatos can. It is definitely on the invasive species list.

It is the "air potato" or DIOSCOREA BULBIFERA..
    Kudzu itself has a different shaped leaf, more like 3 lobed, the ones I see. Here is a pic I googled. More photos there of a fantasy kudzu world. I'll make another post about what I found inside the bubbles.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Esther, your anole is gorgeous. We have the small ones just hatched out this spring everywhere....they stake out their personal territory, and keep all adult male intruders away....they don't mind females and small fry. My doxie Dixie has caused a lot of anoles to have short tails at my house.

Last night I operated on the eggs/fungi, and discovered a sort of dry paste like chocolate inside. It sort of crumbled when I poked at it. So I think that it will become a powdery mass which explodes when it is perfectly dry and mature. Therefore disposing of it now is the best option.

Could be something we always called "devil's snuff balls" which opened to exude a dry snuff-like brown powder. Those were in the ground, never found one in a flower pot before.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, I do not think they are eggs at all.
    Since cutting into them, I realize they are a fungus of some sort. They are all attached to small pieces of pine bark. We have pine stumps and pieces of the roots have fungi forming on the ground above where the roots are located. Or on chunks of bark now falling from the tall (20 foot tall) stump I left for vines to climb, and birds to feast upon. So I figure it is indiginous to pine bark.
    I'll ask my friend and yard man who is a botanist, and see what he says. He usually uses long terms I do not understand, but its the way he nods or shakes his head that gives me what I need to hear. :)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022