Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could this be HVX?

Posted by landlady USDA 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 10:34

I wonder if any of you think I should be worried about this Remember Me that I got from Bluestone Perennials last week. I am still new enough to Hostas that I didn't think to ask them about testing for HVX. I have, however, sent them the same picture I am uploading here, but I will get a quicker response from you than from emailing them.

Let me know if you need another better picture.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could this be HVX?

Nope. Weather or some other related damage.

o

I'm with Owen, weather, roots, insect?

Pieter

o

Oh thank you both !!!

I can deal with damage (heck I host a world class population of brown snails here), but I hate it when I am not vigilant (as in not asking about HVX testing).

Susan

o

You may want to spend some time familiarizing yourself with what HVX looks like. Ink Bleed and Tissue Collapse are the 2 main symptoms. This is neither.

o

Good idea, Melissa, although I would much prefer not to see the real thing. I guess I wasn't sure whether the thinness of that damaged part of the leaf could be considered "tissue collapse". Guess not. I'm glad.

o

I recently ordered from Bluestone. On their website they say their hosta are from sources who verify they are free from hvx. Hopefully they are safe!

o

Bluestone here: Wow, you guys are fast! That is not Virus X - it is most likely some frost damage from a late frost we had here. Although we have never seen Virus X here, as a pro-active precaution we have stopped propagating our own Hosta, and instead purchase starts from tested-virus-X-free sources.

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 11:16

It's good to hear about Bluestone's steps against HVX. I ordered 10 hostas from them in 2009 when I was just getting into hostas. So far, they all look disease free, unlike a couple I got elsewhere. I haven't been disappointed except for the known slow growers (Big Daddy, anyone?) and August Moon that turned into a noid with a green margin.

o

Bluestone is totally off the hook. It was my ignorance of what HVX might/could look like that caused me to post my query here. As soon as I was assured that the damage to the leaf in question was not HVX, I emailed Bluestone a second time and assured them that I was NOT worried about the plant.

Now I am doubly reassured and am glad to know about their policies, which I am sure I should have known already....but simply didn't.

I will order from them again....and with confidence.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here