Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minimum Hosta Temperature:

Posted by ishinaga 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 10:34

Greetings,

I'm a new member and I live in Texas, zone 8a. I'm in the middle of doing research regarding the feasibility of growing hosta in my area? Some have told me that hosta need to have a winter of temps. around 40 F. for 4-8 weeks? If this is the case, what are the reasons? Will they not come back, or will they just not come back strong with new growth? Physically, how does the winter low temps. effect the hosta plant? I have grown orchids for years and I know that a couple of weeks at around 55 F. will induce spikes because it stresses the plant and makes it return to work so to speak. What effect does the cold weather have on hosta?

Steve-TX

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minimum Hosta Temperature:

the link is a good place to start

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Welcome,
I have been growing hostas for about four years. They are a challenge, but they will grow. I have moved most of my hostas into containers with pine mulch as the medium. They go dormant in our zone in mid November or a little earlier if we have an early frost. Some of them begin to break dormancy as early as mid Feb. One of the disadvantages of pots is that they break dormancy several weeks earlier. The occasional warm day during the winter does not seem to cause too many problems as long as the night temperature stays down in the 30's or 40's. Once they start to grow, the late frosts are a real pain to deal with. I always cover mine because they have enough of a challenge in our climate. I do have some hostas that get smaller, but plenty of northern growers talk about that same problem. Water is the key, and I think that even a short amount of time without water will set back hostas in our climate. I watered three times last winter. I wonder if some of the ones that are smaller this spring might not have been overlooked when I watered. It takes a lot more time for the leaves to move from the pointed juvenile stage to the more mature rounded stage, and the leaves don't get anywhere near as big as those on plants up north. Even with all the challenges, I have not found a better shade plant. The variety and sheer beauty of a hosta garden just can't be topped. Here are some shots from my garden this evening. I have a long way to go, but I am seeing some progress.
front tree

back corner09

o

Mary, have you tried any in the ground?

o

Yardmom, I started out planting all of my hostas in the ground. I have heavy clay, and even with compost, I did not have much success. In 06 I very nearly lost everything. Something was getting the roots. I did see one hole, but I never did see a vole. It also could have been some kind of fungus. There was a discussion here about containers. I decided to give it a try, and the results were so much better that I have ended up moving all of my hostas to pots. I have maybe five left in the ground, and they are declining. There are some Texas growers who can grow them in the ground. I wish they would grow in the ground for me, too. I love the look of hostas in the ground, but the containers work much better for me.

o

Maybe they are getting a better chill in the pots than in the insulating ground.

o

• Posted by babka 9/Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 23:31

Pots work for me too here in San Jose where we rarely drop below freezing in Winter. Why don't you just try a few and see what happens. Here are pics of the ones I keep outside my family room.

-Babka

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Karchita, they do get greater chilling in pots, but I guess they warm up faster, too. Maybe that is why they come up earlier in the containers. Babka you have such lovely hostas. What are your summer high temperatures like? How much watering do you have to do? We hit 97 yesterday after a pleasant, wet spring. Oh well, summer is upon us.

o

• Posted by babka 9/Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 13:45

Mary52-

Thanks! We get Mediterranean type weather here in the South Bay (San Francisco area, summer gets mid 80's with the occasional 90 degree day, but it cools off at night. We do not have AC in the house. Depending on the temps, I water the pots every 3-5 days. They are 80% bark and once that gets wet it is amazing how it holds moisture, yet water runs directly thru the pots when I water. We get zero rain during the summer months.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here