Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

A NOID revisited

User
9 years ago

When I originally came to Hosta Forum it was for help with a NOID problem. A whole order had been scrambled (my first ever hosta order). This particular hosta remains a thorn in my side since 2010 when my DH planted it while I was away. It was not a hosta I had ordered. But that is another story.

Back in late 2011, it looked like it could be Satisfaction. Now it does not. This picture is from June 18, showing the NOID on the right of a REAL H. Satisfaction (from Hornbaker). The real Satisfaction arrived in spring 2012. The NOID (from PDN) came in spring 2010.

If you please. Can you take a second look at my NOID and offer some resolution to this identity problem? I'd like to know what it is. I assume it is now mature or close.

Comments (7)

• jadie88
    9 years ago

I think the closest I have is Spring Fling, but not quite! Any hints about what PDN was shipping that year?

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Yellow River?

• kalija
    9 years ago

How about Lakeside Ring Master? Mine is just a baby and not a great representation -got it last fall from the Bridgewood ugly plant sale. The color is off in this pic - margins are much more yellow in real life.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Kind of looks like my Lakeside Cindy Cee

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

But then again, jumping back between your noid and my LS Cindy Cee, I don't think so. Yours is showing corrugation and is a much darker green than mine.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I checked out Yellow River. Mine blooms with lavender flowers and not white.

Note that the Satisfaction on the left has wider margins and more ripples in the leaves. PDN was shipping Satisfaction that year, but it isn't Satisfaction. NOID has a more orderly manner than Satisfaction, a narrower gold margin, smaller waves if any on the margin, and it has light lavender blooms--definitely not white blooms.

About Spring Fling. I cannot tell from PDN website if they shipped this one in 2010 or not. Also, it is described as a wide creamy heavy piecrust white border, which is not the way NOID looks. The flower color is right.

Lakeside Ring Master seems to have too wide a margin. It also has an erect stance and an open look, which is not how this plant seems to grow.

I'd say Lakeside Cindy Cee is fairly close. The margin is lighter and creamy though. The flower is "near white" which covers a multitude of possibilities and the flower on the NOID is a pale lavender not near white. I wish there were more photos in the HLibrary. Guess I'll have to search in our forum a bit.

Another one which is still on PDN current catalog is Spartacus. It is a possibility, down to the color of the flower. However, I cannot tell if the NOID at 5 is a mature hosta or not. It looks different this year than it has in the past, a lot more sedate and compact in the arrangement of its leaves. That observation is what led me to realize it looked nothing like the Satisfaction sitting beside it.

I wish that PDN had the historical list on their website of hosta they sold in certain years. I now see a good reason to keep my old Hosta Finders. I'm sure other folks have been faced by the same problem....receive a hosta supposed to be one thing, only to learn later that it was something else. It is handy to know what other hosta were at that nursery for sale during the same time period.

Of course, dreaming like Walter Middy of heroic deeds, I can imagine it being one NFS from the hybridizing program, the latest new Tony Avent hosta only two of them in the world, and some new employee at PDN put it in MY SHOPPING CART....instead of sending it off for tissue culture. Oh WOW, I wonder if that could happen!

Okay, back to reality.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Mocc, I say you take that last theory and run with it! Who's to say you're wrong?! :)