Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H. Thunderbolt

Posted by sidney1515 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 10:38

Years ago I bought a root that was supposed to be Thunderbolt. It turned out to be Gay Blade.

Some time later, I bought two potted Thunderbolts and planted one in a goodly amount of sun and the other in high shade. The one with lots of sun grew much faster and stronger. To be fair, the one in high shade also is thirty feet from a large green ash tree.

This is the one planted in more sun. It's not quite out but still standing through lots of storms hereabout. One of the two produced a green eye. I took that off and threw it in the woods. . boyo, talk about a tough plant. Deep shade and brush doesn't seem to bother it. . one tough hombre.

Thunderbolt photo Thunderbol_2013.jpg

Thunderbold leaf photo Thunderbolt.jpg

This post was edited by sidney1515 on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 14:16

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H. Thunderbolt

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 10:44

The rabbits ate mine last year.

o

Eleven--it never came back? Did they eat roots and all?

sidney, yours is gorgeous. Mine is still small.

o

Your thunderbolt is beautiful! It's my favorite hosta. I posted some pics of mine last year and someone- I think it was Moccasin, called it a "muscle hosta", which I think is so fitting!

Mine is in pretty much full shade, under a cherry tree. The light it gets is sort of all day dappled with direct sun only in the evening.

photo thunderboltjune25_zpsa5d2812e.jpg

o

I like this hosta too, but mine can't match these two beauties. Gotta move mine to a place where it can stretch and grow.

Steve

o

Funny thing about Thunderbolt. I planted one a few years ago. It never even came back up the next year. They have them at my local nursery this year,so I may try it again. I have Dream Queen,and it looks similar,and grows quite well for me. I thought it was where I planted it,(Thunderbolt),that is,but I have since planted Dawns Early Light in the same spot,and it is thriving for many years. Nice plants,everyone! Phil

o

Beautiful plant! I agree it looks nice and muscular. You've had great success with it.

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 13:47

weekendweeder, nope, they killed it dead. I just got it in early in the spring, then they ate it multiple times. It was just a small mass of roots with one minuscule eye trying to emerge, then the eye died and the roots rotted. I really like the variegation, so I might try it again in the future.

ETA: I do make cages for the hostas sometimes when the rodents get out of control, but the damage happened over the course of 3 days. It had a cage in the end but too damaged by then.

This post was edited by Eleven on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 13:49

o

Phil, if Dream Queen does well for you, why bother trying again with thunderbolt? (unless you want multiples). Dream queen, Dream Weaver, and Thunderbolt all look like the same plant with different names to me.

o

Yours is really impressive. Mine is in full shade. It's grown, but is not a big full plant like yours. Dream Queen is a few feet away in a bit more light, and has gotten bigger than Thunderbolt, but is getting squeezed between two S&S. Maybe they'll get moved next year.

Thunderbolt is in the background, Dream Queen in front.

o

I see what you mean,madplanter! Those S&s's will win out! Phil

o

They look good next to Sum & Substance because the colours are a good contrast and complement one another, but maybe not too close :)

Mine is a couple of years old. This year I took down a 35 year old Mugo Pine and now Thunderbolt is getting a lot more sun than it was used to. so I am interested to see what it does.

First pic 2012 and second pic 2013, it is small but I love the colours. The root competition is now gone so it should leap next year (I hope).
Thunderbolt photo Thunderbolt.jpg
Thunderbolt photo 014.jpg

o

Here is an updated pic from today. You can see the upsettled dirt on the left from where the Mugo Pine was dug up.

This post was edited by paula_b_gardener on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 14:47

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here