Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoorayforhostas

Can anyone ID this hosta?

HoorayforHostas
9 years ago

I'm a new hosta collector and most of the ones I already have I got from friends or from garden club plant sales. I don't know the names of many of them. Can anyone help me identify this hosta? I may have to move it next year because it has gotten much taller than I expected.

Comments (12)

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Looks like montana Aureomarginata to me. Phil

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

That looks like a gorgeous specimen of Montana Aureomarginata. I don't have one but some members do, so hang in there till they weigh in.

Welcome, Hooray! I hope once you get your I.D.'s resolved you will continue with us on the forum. Just be prepared - you will be astounded by fabulous hosta pics and chances are you will be buying more sooner than later! Lol

Jo

9 years ago

Uncanny! Phil and I posted simultaneously! :-)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

with a GW tag like that... i suspect you will be around for a while.. lol ..

welcome ...

did you just add that mulch???

do you want to discuss it??

do you know how to change file names.. so you can name the pic...and find it on your hard drive???

so many questions.. so little time..

oh.. and you see that 5 next to your name ... go to your members pages.. and add a big city to that field ... e.g. z5 MI ... z5 WI ..... z5 KC/MO ... z5 is so diverse.. it matters ...... it will help us hone in on your area.. w/o asking you seven million times ...

again.. welcome ...

ken

9 years ago

Hooray, don't be intimidated by Ken's approach or style of posting! Lol
    He is otherwise a veritable fountain of knowledge as you will no doubt learn on your own as time passes, or if you've read any prior posts before signing in.

Your mulch is lovely and makes your hosta stand out, but it is touching the plant. Keep all mulch away from the crown of the plant. It is not necessary to mulch underneath the leaf canopy of your hostas as the canopy provides shade to the immediate area of roots just below the surface.

I'm very interested in seeing more photos of your hostas. That MA is quite an introduction, well done, Hooray! Like Ken, I too smiled when I saw your screen name. So...where would you be in zone 5? I'm in Ontario, Canada.

Jo

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

jo.. this is two new peeps in a row... that you have made excuses for me ... implying i am barely to be tolerated.. why not let peeps come to their own conclusions ...

the mulch is too thick at the crown ... leading to either watering problems.. or eventually.. the hosta being planted too deep ... or both ...

as it stands right now.. the crown is one to two inches.. below the surface ... and southern blight could be an issue later in the summer ..... depending where she is in z5 ....

when i mulch hosta.. i dont put the mulch.. any closer than the perimeter of the leaves ... allows bare earth at the crown.. to receive water ... and hope that slugs stay at least that far away ...

what part of any of that ... requires her to understand my approach ????

happy.. ignore all this ... lol ... i want to see the blue one behind ....

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

That one is really blue. I'd like to see it, too.

bk

9 years ago

Oh Ken, sigh...where does it read that you are barely to be tolerated? I don't feel like that, have not ever said so, so don't even go there. You are a good guy, a funny guy, a knowledgeable guy. I'm glad my comments returned you to this thread to explain to Hooray what you eluded to in your first post.

Just so there is no misunderstanding I will explain the "approach" comment. You often drop a comment that is cryptic then don't return to that thread. That comment is left up in the air. There are those of us, particularly me, that pay attention to what you say (obviously) and it is unsatisfying when you make comments then leave them hanging, especially so when you are asked a follow-up question. Repeatedly you have ignored the follow-up. Granted, there are so many threads and posts to read, but if one is making comments one would check on follow up, right? Anyway, just to be clear, I'm not on a Ken bashing excursion. I really do enjoy your posts when you return to explain, which you did - this time. So, carry on by all means! I am glad you responded. :-)

Perhaps this is a good time to alert you to a thread I will post shortly. I would like your input Ken and it might very well identify a NOID. It is regarding a hosta you once grew. Thanks. :-)

• HoorayforHostas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, Ok, I can tell I have a lot to learn. I guess I've been lucky with my hostas. I've always mulched them that way in the past. Well, no more. Here's a picture of my big blue beauty. I'm not sure of the name of that one either! I'm zone 5 Ohio.

9 years ago

THAT is a big blue beauty! I have a similar but much smaller plant that is new this year and it is called Blue Angel. That is my guess for yours. Those that have one just like yours and more mature ones will have more accurate input.

Jo

• HoorayforHostas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's my Blue Angel. I've had it a few years. The leaves aren't as large as the previously posted blue hosta. I don't know if they are the same plant.

9 years ago

Wow! That is a mammoth of a hosta! How about Blue Mammoth? Don't have one of those, but similar to what I googled just now. I'm off to dinner! Someone will recognize it :-)

My compliments on your beautiful hostas and lovely gardens. Love seeing your pics.