todays giant

Elatior .. ken

{{gwi:1023082}}

{{gwi:1023083}}

Comments (29)

• playinmud
    16 years ago

That's lovely Ken!

Is it as shiny as the pic?...and is that a yard stick?

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

SonKen,
    Was it (the Hosta not you)lonely as a child being placed 4 ft. from it's nearest neighbor? Now it can finally comunicate with them. What a beauty.

momConnie

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

it is shiny .. but it was also raining.. compare it to the others .... no waxy [glaucous] coating at all ....

no that isnt a yard stick .. its a one foot ruler ....

i think it is 4 feet in each direction to the next hosta.... i suspect it wasnt lonely .. as it is an inanimate object .....

ken

• chocolateis2b8
    16 years ago

Woo Hoo Ken babe, I so love the giants, you can send me a piece of that beauty any day of the week, won't hear any complaints from me, lol.

Of course just kidding there, I'm sure you are like me, you don't touch your giants regardless of who it is or how much they may beg since we are growing them to be specimen plants. But you sure put another on my wish list, as I said, I love the giants more than all others.

Original Author
    16 years ago

a few more .. and chocolatey is correct.. never move them.. never cut them.. never dig them up ... IF you want them big ... it takes a lot of faith to put them 4 to 6 feet away all around and wait 5 to 7 to 10 years... more to come.... ken

Niagara Falls
    {{gwi:1023085}}

Lady Isobel Barnett
    {{gwi:932077}}

Mary Lou
    {{gwi:1023088}}

• kattydid
    16 years ago

Here my giant LOL{{gwi:1023090}}

• ademink
    16 years ago

That is a one foot ruler??? Is your LIB new or something? mine has leaves that are a foot by themselves! lol

• kattydid
    16 years ago

{{gwi:1023092}} these are my other ones.

• maidofshade
    16 years ago

Love your giants Ken. They must get awfully thirsty! LOL

• lindac
    16 years ago

I also Love Love LOVE the giants....But for some reason I feel guilty buying and giving space to too many huge hostas,,,Why? Get a grip, Linda!! LOL!
    Now! Right now I am going to go and buy at least $50 worth of huge hostas! Where should I buy them and what should I buy??...Dammit! I'd rather Hosta than fake nails and time spent at a spa....so why not!
    What should I buy!...I need 3 Big'uns..down in the very back end of the yard, at least 200 feet from the deck. There is already a Sum and substance and an Elegans down there...
    What else??
    Linda C

• kines
    16 years ago

Nice photos - thanks for sharing!

did I mention - I really like the big ones?!?

lol

• kattydid
    16 years ago

I have about 18 hostas in my yard that all started from 2 plants. I'm gonna break my big one up to make about 4 more.

• chocolateis2b8
    16 years ago

A few of my big ones, and that is a yard stick for scale.

Bigfoot (this clump is over 5 feet wide)

Sum it Up

And while this is not considered a giant, but it does show how wide a mature clump of good old Aureamarginata can get, remember, that is a yard stick.

Abba Dabba Do

• arcy_gw
    16 years ago

I broke the don't move rule and now I begin the wait, again. I figured it was better sooner than later, because the wait will start all over. I really needed my big guys to be to the back of my garden. By the end of the summer the landscaping will be done between the patio and the screened in porch. I am debating moving some big hosta, whole for the area or dividing and waiting them all out, again. I MAY have a graduation celebration in two years. It would be nice if the area looked full due to size vs. variety. Thanks for the wonderful pictures everyone!

• lindac
    16 years ago

I moved....or rather had someone move for me, a Sum and substance that had been in place for 4 or 5 years....that was one B I G sucker...
    It was smaller in every way last year ( but still a BIG hosta) but this year it's back to the size it was when moved....but not crowded by Elegans, and looks so much better!
    I guess my davice is, if you think you will be moving a hosta, better to do it now rather than later.
    I need more giants!!!!
    Linda C

Original Author
    16 years ago

gold regal
    {{gwi:1023097}}

gold regal with behemoth behind
    {{gwi:1023099}}

komodo dragon
    {{gwi:1023102}}

• staceybeth
    16 years ago

Here is my giant hosta... i dont know what kind they are...this is one of 5 that were planted all at the same time, about 3 years ago. That is a 12 inch ruler sitting on top of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant Hosta

• lisasmall
    16 years ago

Kattydid, thanks for showing!

Staceybeth, I'm sorry, I don't know what kind yours are.

Ken... aaaagh... the Eliator is bad enough, but you KNOW how I feel about that Niagara Falls you have!

I've got some things that will be giant  'Lakeside San Kao' and 'Blue Angel' and 'Blue Mammoth' and my strange mystery hosta that might be 'Fried Bananas' or something  but nothing big enough to fuss about just yet.

• staceybeth
    16 years ago

Lisa, honestly when I planted them 3 years ago, I didnt really pay much attention to the name.. just knew that they were beautiful and wanted them. This is the first year that this particular one got so large.

Original Author
    16 years ago

ANY IDEA HOW TO PUT PIX BACK IN?

KEN

Original Author
    16 years ago

double your pleasure with the same pix in new and old posts... go figure

Original Author
    15 years ago

bump a rooney

ken

• chrisstitch
    15 years ago

Does anyone have Millinium? It is the biggest hosta I have ever seen. I saw it in the West Michigan Hosta Tour...not many growers carry that one.Chris

• dansgrdn
    15 years ago

Ken, thanks for linking these photos. They all look fantastic! It's going to be a tough choice picking my next big-leafed hosta with all these big beauties staring me in the face : ) Thanks, Dan

• thisismelissa
    15 years ago

bumping again

Original Author
    15 years ago

boy .. bumping these older posts.. looking at old friends... no longer here.. bums me out...

ken

• greenthumbz4mn
    15 years ago

Ken, I have never seen most of those posts and have been swooning like mad here. However, your last statement sounds like an eulogy--I know you got wiped out this year, and I'm so sorry about that. But won't they come back next year? Mary

Original Author
    15 years ago

no i meant people who responded last year... that have disappeared ..

of course, the hosta will be back ...

ken

• regattagirl
    15 years ago

Hey wait...what about some love for us newbies?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths