Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

H.'Barbara Ann' is really nice

in ny zone5
11 years ago

I never read anyone mentioning H.'Barbara Ann'. I have one and it is really nice, blue green with a white border, cupped and corrugated, leaves are of heavy substance. It was probably 2 years old when I bought it in April 2010 for a whole $6 in a pot. It is now 36 inches wide x 23 inches tall, leaves are 7x10, habit is upright, it seems to be close to mature.

Here is a picture from above this morning. Bernd

Comments (13)

• coll_123
    11 years ago

I wish I could say I loved it too, Bernd. It has grown well for me, but the drawstringing is a big negative for me. It looks gorgeous before that starts, and then afterwards it looks ok if I don't get too close to notice the edges. Ironically, the only year it did NOT drawstring for me, it was destroyed by hail.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Yeah,mine looks good too,but only in early spring,then it drawstrings,and the white margins deterioate,and go away badly. I hope yours stays nice. Phil

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Coll, the Hosta Library (My Hostas.net database) writes : 'also shows no drawstring effect'. Mine is a little cupped and due to the white border an improvement over H.'A.Drinking Gourd' I feel. The last picture shown on the Hosta Library has some of the leaves also cupped. Mine also has no holes from slugs probably due to the leaf thickness.
    Thanks for your comment. Bernd

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Barbara Ann is actually a sieboldiana lineage plant. Phil

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I had one (bought for my sister with the same name), but the mongrel horde ran it to ground. :(

• bentleygardens
    11 years ago

(Muntons Microplants, NR)

A very nice sport of H. Elegans, blue-green leaves with a wide white margin, excellent corrugation

18" high by 42" wide

white flowers in June on 24" scapes

WILL NOT GROW HERE IN GEORGIA FOR US......ITS ALREADY TURNED ORANGE AND TANKED

Ed

• coll_123
    11 years ago

Bernd, I have to say, I think the Hosta Library has it wrong about the drawstring effect, at least for me it's wrong. I keep hoping mine will somehow grow out of it, because it would really be a stunner if it did.

Here are the leaves of mine in Early Spring- probably none prettier in the whole garden

Then before long the white shrivels up. One leaf isn't too bad this year, I guess. Like I said, I'm hoping it somehow grows out of it!

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Coll, I am hoping the best. Last year, the first spring after I had planted it, I had drawstringing on this plant, but it was much earlier then, probably May. Now we have the end of June here in the North, after an early spring, and this plant looks like it has done all its growing. It is summer now! So probably it is done drawstringing for this year.
    Perhaps drawstringing applies only to young plants, like part of growing up for this hosta, and mine is old enough to be over it?
    Bernd

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

This is my Barbara Anne. I have a long way to go as I got her as a liner last year. I am getting ready to move her to a shadier location as she is in full sun and starting to burn. Ed this one was one of yours. Just wanted to let you know she is doing great! Paula

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

I really wanted a Barbara Ann, the name of one of my favorite cousins. Mine started to come up the second year, but faltered and died. I didn't replace it as others had problems with it, too.

Glad your's is doing well, Bernd. It's really nice.

bkay

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Mine has had real trouble in the ground, So.. I potted it and it looks better this year.. I do like the looks of it, and as far as the drawstring .. well I wish it would grow big enough to have that problem !

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

Great results Berndt, congratulations!

Here, though, it's a dog. Until this thread I thought it was because I put it in a place no other cultivar has ever done well, the infamous 'black hole' for a Hosta.

Perhaps I'll plant some sort of fern there, or . . .

hh

• bentleygardens
    11 years ago

looks good Paula, thanks for sharing the picture

Ed