Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalija_gw

Hosta garden pics at a (semi) local nursery...

kalija
10 years ago

HI. Last weekend I took my mom to a nusery that has a beautiful hosta garden. I have been working on her gardens, which were really neglected for a long time. She has a shaded area perfect for hosta but she wasn't sold on the idea so I was hoping if she saw some mature ones she might get on board. It worked - we came away with some nice plants for her. I took some pics of thier (the nursery) gardens and wanted to share...
My only complaint is that the plants aren't labeled there.

Sagae, I believe?

Here is a planted hillside...the photo doesn't do this justice

Striptease and maybe an elegans? Not sure about the big blue...

I know I see a June here, and a halcyon maybe? Gosh - so many others I have no idea....

I really enjoyed going there - I only recently found out about this place - I have a feeling I could blow my whole paycheck there in about 10 minutes. I could have taken a ton of pics but they were getting crowded. It seemed like they really care about their plants so I am hoping we won't have to worry about hvx or other problems.

I will have to make another post later with pics of the plants we got for her- they are on her camera and I forgot to download them before I left. But she got a HUGE Golden Meadows; Lakeside Beach Captain; Empress Wu and some others. Will put the completed garden pics up soon also; but its pouring rain here today so it may be a while! Thanks for looking!

Comments (6)

• User
    10 years ago

Hey, that's exciting. Glad your mom is brave enough to spring for an Empress Wu! She'll have fun with that, since most folks are experiencing quick growth.

We had rain last night. Perfect amount, about 1/2 inch or maybe an inch. Knocked the heat back for a couple of hours this morning.

The first picture looks like Sagae to me too. Couldn't begin to say what the others are. Gardening together is a great mother/child activity at any stage of life.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

this is the second post today .... where you peeps wont tell us where you went ...

the peeps who own the biz.. can not advert here ...

that rule does not stop you from telling us about them.. nor showing pics...

so where and who was this...

ken

ps: thx for the pix

• kalija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ken - sorry for leaving out the name! It probly won't do anyone here any good! It's called Sarahs Garden Center in Brockport NY - if anyone is near there it is defintely worth the trip.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

kalija - Your lucky lucky Mom to have someone to help and coach her in this new endeavour, and lucky lucky you to have such a fun activity to share with her. I'm a bit envious!
    Jan

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Hey...roadtrip! Brockport isn't more than maybe an hour and a half from me. Sweet. I need a new place to tempt me (yeah, right).

There's another place in WNY, down south, basically where Transit Rd ends. Murray Brothers? I am 99% sure that's the name of it. It's at their house (which is down the road from the main nursery), and their mature hosta are labeled. I got a few there last year. Prices are average. Nice plants.

There's also a little place you'll never find online, again, at their house. Michael's Nursery. It's on Upper Mountain Rd in Lockport. Found them by accident. Nice plants, their mature hosta aren't named though-but if you ask, he'll know which ones are which.

• kalija
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks eclecticcottage - I'll have to check those out. Lockport has a really nice tropical fish store - don't remember its name but I go through there every so often. Sarah's prices are reasonable considering the size of the plants, I think.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting