Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luuk_gw

Tabula rasa

luuk
9 years ago

Second hailstorm this year, ...brings desolation and destruction. All my hostas have been affected, how sad!

Here some photos.

Comments (19)

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Makes you want to scream. The only good thing is that our little beauties are tough. They will bounce back. Sorry for your luck, luuk. Gary

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I feel sick for you Luuk. What a mess the weather can do after all the hard work .. Faye

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Heartbreaking! I am so sorry!

Linda

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

Been there...know the feeling...sorry
    BC

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

It hurts to look at them. ;-( Some things are simply out of your control. Get your self a few new ones to focus on the rest of the year. The damaged ones will be back and beautiful next year.

-Babka

• irawon
    9 years ago

That's awful, luuk. I'm so sorry for you. I'm with Babka, you should treat yourself to some new hostas.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Waaaaa, it's just not fair! The winter was enough, now this? Unbelievable! Truly a sad sight and I really feel for you! The sad part is you have to view that - the plants need their leaves. I'm with the others...console yourself with a few new ones you CAN admire. Such bad luck. :-( ...but they will be glorious once again next year.
    Josy :-)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Sorry to see that, Luuk.

Don B.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Aaahh, the carnage! So sorry. You really have some beauties. Many of mine were damaged by falling twigs and small branches from my neighbor's tree trimming. Here's to a strong second flush!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Sorry to see that. I had bad hail in 2011. I bought some new ones to console myself with. Then, Ken posted one of his from a bad hail storm. All he had left was petioles. Mine was not so bad after that.

Someone posted an ugly hosta that year. Everyone started posting theirs, too. My Sum and Substance won the ugliest one that year.

I'm really sorry Luuk.

bk

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Bk, with all the rotten luck some are having, the ugliest hosta competition may be a good pick me up! I have some with cold damage that are real doozies...

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

You have my sympathies. They are all so beautiful so I guess you just have to look past the damage and refuse to let the weather take that beauty away - after all it is in the eye of the beholder. They are still beautiful and full of promise you will see next year. I saw some gold ball size hail on a news clip and immediately thought of the hosta.

• WILDernessWen
    9 years ago

Hug, hugs, another hug, one more hug, just a few more hugs.
    Gosh that SUCKS! Keep a stiff upper lift. Wendy

• hostanista
    9 years ago

OH NO!! How awful for you. I always look forward to seeing your beautiful photos but this post was heartbreaking. Your poor babies. We all do so much to care for them all through the season and in 15 minutes it can all be undone. Sad.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I've not been keeping up with all the new threads and postings for the past few days. When I finally viewed your post Luuk, I was shocked to see your plants and their state. That is so disappointing. I am so sorry that this has happened to all your hostas. If I could, I would exchange some of mine with yours because I think I know how upset you must be.

I agree with the others that purchasing some new ones might be the way to go this year.

I remember seeing a picture on the internet of a very badly slug eaten hosta leaf. To my surprise, it was a very beautiful artistic photo depicting just the one leaf. I know you like to take pictures. Could you find something of unexpected beauty to photograph?

I really feel for you.

• luuk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your support and kindness, ...you are wonderful!
    This season has just begun but for me it's already over. So as you suggested I will dedicate to the new plants, ...in a couple of days I will place my order.
    Ohh and I have to take care of the seeds of this year, fortunately they have been spared.
    I'll post a picture of me from last saturday, before starting the yoga class, ...and a few hours before the hailstorm ... hehe
    the yoga instructor before beginning the class always asks us to devote the lesson to someone or something important, well next saturday I shall devote my practice to you ;-)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Mighty fine form there, LUUK! ;-). Look at the ladies checking you out!! Could they be hosta lovers, BAC? Lol

• User
    9 years ago

Luuk, I notice all the leaves are still performing their jobs. I know it looks bad, but to avoid setting them back NEXT year, tolerate the torn leaves as long as they can do their job. You'll be glad you did next year.

I deplore the ravages of the hail. It was a random event and the luck of the draw. Hopefully it won't strike again. Best of luck with your new hosta to find consolation.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

"Next saturday I shall devote my practice to you."

How sweet. I thank you.