Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniegolden_gw

Poor ugly Frances

anniegolden
9 years ago

Oh well, she still looks good from a distance.

I have no other hostas that do this self-mutilation thing. Does she (Frances Williams) escape this problem in other areas of the country? I'm in Delaware. Does anyone know what causes this? My FW gets no sun.

Comments (15)

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

FW does that everywhere. It is not just yours. Other hosta also: Brim Cup, Snow Cap, Barbara Ann. Those in the know, know which ones to avoid! Unfortunately, I'm not always in the know!

I still like FW. I have two of them. They say Olive Bailey Langdon is a very similar sub that looks better, but my OBL is doing the same thing.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its ... cold damage.. as the leaves were unfurling... i think chris calls it... spring dessication.. but he can surely speak for himself... or else someone else will know the term ...

a glorious plant.. with good years.. and bad years ...

if you are space limited.. get rid of it.. there are so many other great look alikes ...

downside.. 5 to 7 years to grow a new one to that size ...

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

OBL does it at my house, too.

bk

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Anniegolden, you have a wonderful and mature Frances Williams! Only a few leaves are affected and I don't think it detracts from your plant at all.

I'm in zone 5, Ontario and disagree with the cold damage comment insofar as my zone is concerned. My FW that is under the deck always emerges in perfect condition, even this spring after the brutal winter. The desiccation occurs only after a heat spell where the temperature soars, as it did here only a few weeks ago. In previous years, where we've had some cooler springs, the desiccation did not show until we were already into summer.

I also have another one planted under the honeysuckle bush, where interestingly enough, it gets longer exposure to the sun, but is protected by greenery of surrounding plants. This one is not showing any desiccation (neither did it last year) and I will take a photo right now to show you how it looks.

I believe that if provided with enough cooling shade of neighbouring plants and shrubs (creating a cooler microclimate for it in the same a way a tree with a large canopy does) it can escape this desiccation. If I can achieve it here, so can my American neighbours....at least in the like-zone. Anything hotter is a challenge and I am wondering how many of you grow your FW in forest-like environments who have FW's that don't succumb to desiccation???

Here's a pic #1 of honeysuckle shelter...this is a division of the mature FW and pic #2 of another small FW under the same deck as big one, just to the right of it, closer to brick of the house. Pic #3 is mama FW. Pic #4 is a fall-potted division that is obviously cold-stunted but otherwise growing well.

***It makes me wonder if it's an age-related condition?***

It seems the mature FW's suffer where the younger, immature ones don't. Again, my observation only, in my zone.

Yes, as you've surmised, I love my FW...it's been with me since early 1980âÂÂs, travelled with me, and has been transplanted and divided countless times. I experiment with it, hence the duplicates. It is too beautiful a hosta to me to ever give up on it. It's a given I'll never be without one. :-).

I'm just one of those stubborn gardeners who likes to experiment...till I get it right.

The difference between you and I, Ken is that I am too weak to chuck ANY hosta! Never done it - but I've given away small divisions....does that count? LOL
    There are days when I ask myself why do I bother to keep this one, or that one? I have no answer to that. I just look at the hosta ... and water it instead!! Lol

Pic #1 - division under honeysuckle-sheltered location -no desiccation

9 years ago

Pic #2 - another division under deck. Poor lighting but not a sign of desiccation. I took pic through the stair rungs looking down at it.

9 years ago

Pic #3 - big Mama who is half the size she was last year. I lost the potted half to rot :-(. The only one suffering from desiccation...which makes me believe it is age-related.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

FW is a beautiful Hosta. I agree with anniegolden. She is best viewed from afar.

{{gwi:20219}}

Mine is about 8 yrs. old and really made herself noticed this year. The large amount of rain we are getting helps too.

I am with josephine regarding having difficulty chucking any hosta..especially considering how long I have tried to nuture FW to this size.

This post was edited by pitimpinai on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 15:16

9 years ago

Pic #4 - a cold-stunted potted division...no desiccation and in a lot of sun....and that's it! No more FW pics.

I over-stated my case...you think? Lol

Jo

P.S. If anyone is interested, I can update the status on these four FW's during the heat of the summer...I keep documentation/progress notes on FW.

9 years ago

Another beauty, Pitimpinai...my leaves on big one always curl down where yours and Annie's cup up...could it be not enough water for mine?? Hmmm.

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, Bkay, Ken and HostaHosta - thank you for the information.

Jo, regarding your last picture. That's FW? I don't even remember when mine looked like that. Don't hostas change a lot as they mature!

Pitimpinai, what is that red plant with the dark foliage immediately in front of your FW? I love it.

Christine

• leaflover76
    9 years ago

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I think your FW is lovely. FW is the hosta that started my love affair with this perennial and its still in my top 5 when I stroll through my garden.

• User
    9 years ago

I have these 3 hosta from Lowes in one tub. One is supposed to be Elegans. One Frances Williams. One AureoMarginata. This photo taken in April was impressive to me, and I decided to leave the three together one last year. I mean, I have enoough pots to deal with, not making more work if avoidable.

Then a later picture showing seedpods set rather generously by both Elegans and Frances Williams. It is showing some edge burn. Really it is in a hot spot shaded only by a small bushy crape myrtle, with watering going on every mid-day to cool things down. I don't mind the dessication that much, since the plant is generally pretty and does set seed.

Here it is May 29 with its pods. Elegans has pods too.

June 2nd

9 years ago

Yes, Christine, that's FW! there are so many juvenile plants that don't match their maturity picture at all, sort of like the ugly duckling becoming a swan analogy....But I am not calling this babe an ugly duckling...it's just in arrested development, lol. :-)

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Annie,
    That is Berberi 'Crimson Pygmy' that I planted before I knew better, although I have not seen any seedlings. I would plant a dark Heuchera instead of any Barberi if you are starting from a clean slate.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Hmmm I will need to check my FW more closely tomorrow. I am in NC and I know she's showing some signs of dedication, but I don't recall it being too bad. I also have OBL in close proximity so I will do a comparison.