Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vpeterson_gw

LIst your hosta collections

vpeterson
10 years ago

I am curious to hear if anyone is collecting a certain type of hosta. For example trying to collect all of the cultivars of Mildred Seaver or Russ O'Harra? My cousin is trying to collect everything by Russ O'Harra but has run into difficulty trying to find some items that are only found in private gardens.

Comments (4)

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I have a few collections.

I currently collect hostas with Sum & Substance progeny since they all seem to do well in the sun. Some of the lesser known ones have been hard to find and I have driven hundreds of miles to get them.

I also collect hostas that are cultivars of Olga Petryszyn. She loves to grow them large. They all have been fast growers in my gardens. I only have a few more to go to have all of Olga's hostas.

A couple of years back I was on the hunt for progeny of Whirlwind and have quite a collection.

And then sometime in between those, I was on the hunt for hostas with ruffled leaves.

And oh yes, I forgot, I think my first collection hunt was hostas with red petioles.

My latest craze is hostas that are tetraploid. Their leaves are thicker and often slower growing (makes sense since I am totally out of room).

And last, I love the streaked ones! They're all still small, so I haven't planted many, but have them hidden in pots all around the garden.

This post was edited by Gesila on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 11:14

• esox48
    10 years ago

The vast majority, I'd say 99 percent, of streaked hostas are not registered but are in gardens of hybridizers. They are hostas they have bred on the way to inventing their own new ones, which also may never be registered.

I have quite a few myself and I'm fairly new at it..

As for registered streaked hostas, my favorite here is a 60-plus inch Sally and Bob, the matriarch of most of my streakers.

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Gesila, I would love to see all your Sum & Substance progeny. Why don't you start a new thread of Sum & Substance progeny and let people add their Sum & Substance and it's progeny. I would absolutely love a thread like that. I love that bad boy and his kids!

esox48, I would also to love to see a pick of your matriarch. . Oh yeah! She sounds beautiful!

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

I already have it on my computer along with a possible wish list. It is in order of when I got them, too.
    Hosta Name List:

Undulata Albomarginata
    Mama Mia
    Fortunei Hyacinthina
    Fire Island
    Pineapple Upside Down Cake
    Blue Mouse Ears
    Wheee
    Dream Queen
    Minuteman
    Fire and Ice
    Fragrant Blue