Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Playing small ball...

paul_in_mn
9 years ago

... is what the Minnesota Twins are known for... and most of the following Hosta would crack the small-medium roster.

Blue Flame - I think this one might be a comer to keep an eye on. A Fragrant Blue sport - dusty blue/green heart shaped leaves with cream/yellow border. Blue color is just starting to wax up.

Formal Attire - nice wide margin

Golden Meadows - missed the white/cream center phase this spring. Sort of reminds me of a bearded iris.

Illicit Affair - planted in 2012 and starting to clump nicely

Inaho - nice filler. Easy to miss, but some fun going on there.

Pewterware - nice blue and small. So many places you can fit this one. Gift from a local hostaphile.

Rainbow's End - sport from Obsession, imagine this one was quite a suprise considering how dark Obsession grows. Has really taken off in sun. Hope leaves get broader again.

Sitting Pretty - 3rd year and settling in well.

Stand By Me - June sport with nice substance and heavy wax. Good grower in morning sun. Scale is hard to judge from pic - this is maybe 6" tall and 18" wide.

Stetson - folded leaves, has a dry look. Wide Brim sport.

Tick Tock - nice small border hosta, sport of Gold Drop

Tongue Twister - fun form, still young in my garden

Thanks for taking a look.

Paul

Comments (11)

• irawon
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting these, Paul. I want to acquire some more small to medium hostas this year. Your timing is perfect. i got a second Rainbow's End this spring when I saw a good sized one. I didn't think the one in a spin out bag was going to make it but it did. What a nice sturdy hosta. Yours looks lovely, nice and full and really well propotioned.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I have a few of those,including Illicit Affair,which is a good grower. I see yours hasn' t gotten the variegation yet,but it will come later. I just got Rainbows End this year. I have had Stetson for years,and it always comes up. Nice collection of small ones! Phil

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

irawon, I was surprised how quickly Rainbow's End has responded and grown in the sun....just shows you that sometimes stretching shade tolerant to a bit of more light can benefit hosta.

Phil, thanks for the reminder about the margins on Illicit Affair....still new in my brain and hasn't sunk in that it is margined. Here's a leaf pic from early July last year.

Thanks both of you for the comments.

Paul

• jamie81
    9 years ago

As always, your pictures are great. Really like the golden meadows.

I am doing my own experiment with the sun this year. Neighbor took out a huge tree, and suddenly my all shade garden is almost full sun. So far I'm pleasantly surprised. Although it hasn't been really hot in MN yet,most of them are doing better than they did in the shade. The only one thats really unhappy is a Blue Ivory.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks, Paul, for posting those. Those are gorgeous. It gives me lots of ideas. I'm on the lookout for smalls for next year. The problem is knowing which smalls are really smalls. Your post helps. So Sweet is considered a small, but mine is 14" high and 35" across, IN A POT, in Texas. How much larger would it be in Southern Illinois?

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Paul.

Don B.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Lovely. I have really been impressed with Blue Flame. It was a scraggly little thing last year when I bought it for $4, and I didn't recognize it when it came up this year. That light powder blue really is nice, and its form is very well-mannered. Can't wait until those margins widen like yours!

Excuse the untidy photo...it was pre-spring cleaning!

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jamie, I'm still experimenting on a couple to see if they will stay in the sun. I have also purposely grown a few in sun to expand the number of divisions over 2-3 years before moving to a new location. Leaves may be narrower and smaller in sun.

bk, AHGA (growers) created a reference to size differences north and south - pic below.

Thanks Don.

jadie, nice to find a beautiful hosta at a bargain.

Paul

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Very nice Paul. The blue edging on the Golden Meadows is electric. I haven't seen anything approaching that on mine yet.

Jon

• dg
    9 years ago

Thanks for the AHGA chart Paul. I've always wondered how the sizes were determined.

Since I'm the middle zone (along I-70), I converted it using public school math.

Close enough for horseshoes & hand grenades :-)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks for the chart, Paul.

bk