Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rescued hosta Liberty (pic heavy)

Posted by melati 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 11:06

This has been a real slower on the north side of the house, and as I responded to " Hosta came in weak this year" , I decided to dig this up too and found what I was afraid of... Anyway... Here are the pics.

The trouble hosta dug up.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The rotted roots/crowns

After bleached bath for 10 mins

Not sure if I should put it back to the same spot... What do you think?

Thks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rescued hosta Liberty (pic heavy)

Does that area always get a lot of water that sits?

If it was me and I wanted Liberty to grow where it was, I would put it in a pot. Not sure if I would stick them back into the ground where the same soil is that these hostas were rotting in.

Nice job cleaning them up! They look ready to grow again.

Gesila

o

Not sure how to improve the spot where they were. Something is holding moisture in the area.

If not a problem with tree roots, could you dig down and create a layer of gravel that would lead water to a lower area? If you cannot do a sort of horizontal french drain, then I'd just pot em up in a couple of whiskey barrels, elevated above the ground, and let em flourish. Two in each barrel?

If you like threes, then do one barrel, and experiment with the 4th plant in the ground. I bet the container hosta out perform the ground one in this case. Looks like you caught them in time.

o

The hosta at the Dallas Arboretum are planted in raised beds. The beds aren't bordered, but kind of like a berm.

It's a idea to consider if you want to put them back in the same place.

bk

o

The hosta at the Dallas Arboretum are planted in raised beds. The beds aren't bordered, but kind of like a berm.

It's a idea to consider if you want to put them back in the same place.

bk

o

This side of the garden drains very well...never hold any water thats why i was confused why some of the hosta rotted here, it is under a flowering cherry but doesn't looks like its competing heavily with the roots either.
So I planted it back with fresh soil in a sunken pots until i decide where I'll move her.

o

last of your top 4 pics ...

do you see how they look like leeks for 2 or 3 inches above the crown/roots ...

that means they were planted too deep ...

4th pic from the top... it tried to grow on top of the part.. that was too deep.. and all the old roots failed....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: do you know how they make leeks white.... they plant it deep in a furrow.. and as it grows .. they keeping mounding soil.. to keep that part out of the sun.. so it wont green ....

o

Thanks Ken, I guess I need to raise them a little higher from the last pic shown?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here