Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

I'm floored!

thisismelissa
9 years ago

So, I finally did it. I'm starting to clear out space. The duplicates in my collection are going to different homes.

Last night, I listed 5 maturing plants on our local "Online Garage Sale" on Facebook. I had them all sold within 20 minutes and a waitlist for these and other plants, I decide to sell.

I had no idea there was such a desire for mature size plants. It almost makes me want to grow out half a dozen S&S just to be able to sell them off to local folk. Too bad they take up so much room!

Nah,.... I have no desire to become a hosta seller. I have too much respect for the retailers out there who are doing this full time!

Have any of you guys done sales? Or maybe just sell some at your own garage sale?

Comments (11)

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Nice going. I think editing a garden can be difficult. Its hard to let them go. I put my extras at the end of the driveway and by the end of the day they are gone. I pot them up as large sizes , multiple eyes - people like instant gardens. I also left a few at the MN society plant sale. I checked at the end and they all sold. I hope they went to good homes.

• jennaj_z4mn
    9 years ago

Hi Melissa! I sell divisions of mine during the summer on Craigslist and the online garage sale sites. I use the money for new additions (of course). This summer is the 3rd year that I have been doing it.

• User
    9 years ago

I'm definitely not selling, but several folks who know of my hosta, they ask if I'm selling. It feels strange to be asked that. Although I have two neighbors, elderly ladies, who pot up and sell their day lilies and the largesse of a gardening life. I've purchased from them, but each HAD only ONE hosta (the green fragrant one) until I gave them each Paradise Island this Mother's Day. I know the plants have good homes.

When they got the look in the eye which said, "let's divide" I knew a special purchase for them was the way to go.

Good to hear that you are able to relieve your crowding by reducing the duplicates. I have several duplicates of things I love, but right now they serve as my disaster backup plan. I began this when I lost my Fried Bananas, Guacamole, and Fried Green Tomatos. Now I'm thinking I over reacted to cold damage, thinking it was a virus. Later I got the HVX test strips. And this spring with several hosta showing cold damage, I had an OH NO moment.....yes, I did not need to do my beauties in like that. What a shame. So now I have my duplicates, even a second Squash Casserole. Who knows, my garden may get bigger.....somehow. :)

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

My FGT is taking over ⦠divided my SC last year and it shrunk big time ⦠it was so nice

dave

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Its funny this thread popped up because Trudy is going to have a Garden viewing with some plants for sale the 27-28th of this month. I have been to her place a couple times, and her booth at the Farmers market when she used to sell there.

• steeltowninwv
    9 years ago

id love to buy local hostsas..never found any...if any u guys do any sales where u ship any let me know

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SteelTownInWV: We are not allowed to post sales offers here. It's against GW terms of use.

• steeltowninwv
    9 years ago

Well that stinks. Because I'm sure there are some nice hostas to be had

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

I don't know what you got for them, but I'm not surprised they sold quickly since they were nice mature plants. I look on Craigslist occasionally, and people generally sell small divisions of plain hostas...and most seem way overpriced to me.

Cash + space = fun! Congratulations!!

• steeltowninwv
    9 years ago

Well that stinks. Because I'm sure there are some nice hostas to be had

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Good idea! I just sent a "free plants" e-mail to the local garden club and had only two answers. Of course, I'm giving away stuff that grows like mad - wild ginger, variegated Solomon's Seal, Stella day lilies, iris and very common hostas.

Craig's list might be the way to get rid of the duplicate "good" hostas.