Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta as indoor plants?

Posted by t-bird (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 11:12

Anyone keep any hostas inside?

How do they do/not do?

Do they need the freezing in winter to keep healthy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta as indoor plants?

a specific number of dormant days are required.. so though you might bring them in for summer.. they will eventually die if you dont let them go dormant..

also.. hosta are ONLY shade tolerant... and with the severely reduced light indoors.. may not be able to store the energy needed to come out of the requisite dormancy ....

ken

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 18:21

I'm guessing you might keep one indoors successfully for a period of time - in a spot where it gets some sunlight. My guess is that it would probably survive one winter, then you could move it outside (where it would live during the summer and go dormant in the fall) and bring a different one in. If you're willing to swap them out every year, I really do think it might work. Has anyone tried it?

o

• Posted by babka 9 Northern Californi (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 19:08

My potted hostas get fall color and go dormant with NO frost or freeze. I think it is the shorter daylight hours, and cooler evening temps in the 40's. (Sidebar: In the summer here, our evenings are in the 50's.) In December, when 90% of them have lost their green, I just cut the tops off the stragglers and stop the watering. I think there was someone here who had hostas in Florida who was able to keep one green during the winter months. Can't recall the poster's name.

-Babka

o

A couple of weeks ago I was on a very upscale kitchen tour... for the most part these were million dollar homes that had te kitchens redone by a particular designer. I had to laugh when we got to the last one - the owner told me she had found all these cool plants to put in the urns in her house. They were everywhere! LOLOLOL! Unfortunately, I only got one photo..... of Guacamole!

Photobucket

o

a pot.. with presumably no drainage on that beautiful wooden floor ...

i suppose they dont care in a million dollar house... just put in a new floor..

ken

o

Great idea on the swapping out of different plants. I'd love to give a "shade garden" feel to a seldom used room in the house. Does have s facing window - so not light deprived...

Thanks for the input everyone!

o

Indoor plants in nice drainless pots as done by a professional in the plant maintenance business would have the plant still in the growers pot that is just set into the decorative pot and top dressed with sphagnum moss.

My sister does it for a couple of banks and other places. I helped her a month ago and got to see how things are done up close.

As for hostas in pots indoors, this year I did hostas in clay pots on the front porch with two sides open to the east and the south. I keep them well watered and some varieties have done better than others but none of them have the substance that the same ones have out in the yard or in the growers pots sitting in the driveway. I moved the stack of pots out of the corner and to the east side of the porch to give it more light but they are still pretty weak and many are failing. Before long I will be sticking them in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here