Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Baby Blues

mosswitch
9 years ago

My little blue seedling, all grown up. The leaves are thick like plastic. Bigger than Blue Mouse Ears, don't have any idea of parentage. I think it's about 4 years old now.

Sandy

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Must have some kind of Mouse Ears heritage, doesn't it? Certainly looks a lot like my Blue Mouse Ears, anyway.

Whatever it is, it is certainly a healthy looking cutie!

Kate

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If it's got BME genes, I would be surprised as it is about 50' away and around the far side of a building from my BME, besides I don't think that plant was big enough to bloom yet when I found this one. It was actually near and sort of under a huge blue cupped plant that was also a seedling at one time, that kind of looks like Big Daddy, but isn't. Looks like BME on steroids. Maybe Blue Ice in the next bed over had something to do with this little mongrel, come to think of it.

Sandy

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Must be out of BME, leaves and flowering habit are similar. Congrats Kate, it looks great.

Started BME seeds in 2011 and only one plant grew - but very fast (7 eyes by Aug 2011)...

Paul

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

The squirrels do a lot of gardening in my yard, and even worse, replant some of my stuff in the neighbor's yards. Unfortunately, I don't want any of the neighbor's plants. Anyway, it's possible that some type of fauna helped out with your baby blue.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It wasn't a transplant accidentally or otherwise until I moved it out from under my dogwood tree when it was 2" tall.

If I were to hazard a guess based on what is growing in that vicinity, I suspect Francis Williams, Drinking Gourd and this big 7 yr old blue seedling, where it was found, all or one (over the years of inbreeding) may have something to do with its heritage as they are all blooming together and the bees are very busy.

I don't think BME was involved with any of this orgy at all.

There is also a medium-size blue in the same bed that has purple flowers, lost tag some 10 years ago, and it could have figured in it somewhere as all three of the others have white flowers and the Baby Blues has purple/white.

Who can figure out the sex lives of hostas anyway?

Sandy

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Imagine that, a baby gourd! Sure is an adorable hosta. You should name it something, Sandy. It deserves it, the poor little orphan...parents too busy propagating to claim this one, lol!

• User
    9 years ago

Ha! Send all your little hosta orphlings to Jo. She raises them like the Old Lady Who Lived In A Shoe. She had so many children she didn't know what to do. When they are HOSTA orphlings, I can totally appreciate the urge to adopt.

Sandy, I have a mental picture of you walking down to your woodland glade where you put all the shade lovers. Ferns. Such as that. Something else too that you were pulling out at one time. Is that where your larger-than-a-mouse grew?

I'll imagine hosta down in the woods today having an orgy.....Sex habits of hosta.....it'd be a best seller.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its name is Baby Blues. Think I'll keep it that way, Moc, this came up under that big blue in the other picture. Right now it is in front of a pair of variegated dogwood shrubs, along with this other seedling, Phoebe (daughter of the Sun) that I think is a seedling of Sun Power....and who knows? The leaves are getting some texture. It's the same age as that Baby Blues.

Sandy