Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Garden 'Rooms'

cfmuehling
16 years ago

Hi all!

This might be a hardscape/landscape question, but since my gardens' focus is hosta, I thought I'd ask here. Janice mentioned her secret area and my mind began to spin.

I have almost zero shade. Pretty much two maple trees on 3 acres of residental land (the remaining 3.5 is still poison ivy, brambles and harsh, full sun). Under these two trees I have my hosta, hellebore and a few other extremely tough plants that can compete with maple roots. These are raised beds and looking pretty.

We are planning to "courtyard" this area, which is in front of the house. Putting in permeable pavers, etc., some low dividing walls that will double as raised beds, and finally putting in some electricy for my fountain. This creates some "rooms" that will give us some outside living.

Across the yard, under fence line trees, I created a really big shade garden. Of course, the main tree died the 2nd/last year, so my husband built me a 20' L x 8' w, x 10' h pergola. Our sun is so evil, I have the top shaded with woven, permeable fabric and am going to hang matchstick type blinds or something on the west, 20' face of it to protect from the 1:00 -. 9:00 pm sun.

The 2nd tree is now dying, and another shade-providing young tree was split like a banana in this year's ice storms. Rich is going to build me an extension of the main pergola, although connected to it, just a little off center from the main one, only 16' L x 8' w, x 8' h to kind of do another, separate garden area. The gardens curve in and out of the current poles.

(Are you bored yet? I have GOT to get a camera.)

Anyway, I want to make this pergola-ed area into something you have to go over and look at. I was thinking of putting some kind of shrubs in front of the long/west side of the pergolas, with perhaps flagstone on the inside of them next to where the garden beds are. I'm thinking the sun-loving shrubs might eventually provide shade for my struggling no-longer-shade gardens, and create a kind of separate area.

Does this make sense? I can't really see it in my mind's eye, yet I kind of can. If you were to do something like this, what in your wildest dreams would you do?

I have all kinds of options, including stone things, bricks, and the man power to build it. Of course, the man will have to pull time out of his ear, but he does humor me. So go wild if you have a secret garden in mind.

I'd love ideas and suggestions. The total focus through all that, was to protect my hosta gardens from sun. If I can make it interesting at the same time? YEAH!

Thanks for bearing with me,

Christine

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

hey

3 acres and two trees...

unless you are 80 years old.. get yourself some oaks .. IF zone appropriate.. and start growing some good shade... its a 5 to 10 year dream .. but you have to start somewhere...

you have to grow the backbone of your garden ...

ken

• caliloo
    16 years ago

What Ken said.

I have a great Pin Oak that was 20 feet tall or so 10 years ago, it is now probably close to 40 feet and shades my entire patio and a good portion of the back yard. I was stunned how quickly it has grown, not only in height but also breadth. Pin Oaks are also quite friendly to plant underneath.

Alexa

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know, guys?
    I thought of that. With my equally keen sense of the obvious, I thought to myself, Self? You outta plant some trees.
    So I've planted 69 trees in 4 years. Is that 'nuff for you? [LOL] And I continue.

I do have several Pin Oaks, but their growth rate has been nothing compared to the 'October Glory' maple by the road that's grown a whopping, measured, 4 feet a year since 2003.

I keep planting, though.

See, the guy who owned the property before us and built in 1974 was raping the land of hardwoods and selling them. He was moving into the neighbors' property, evidently, when as one put it, "We reminded him that we have guns, too, and it's legal to shoot trespassers in this county."

That said, the house/land came with some junk cherries, scrub, honey locust, mulberry and some sassafrass. Then add in all my trees, which are on the 3 acres we have incorporated as residential. Sycamore, many red maples, service berries, redbuds, regular maples, pin oaks, red oaks, cherry, crab apple, birch, beech, Aristocrat Pears (before I knew better), hawthorne, peach, mimosa, sumac, golden larch, a new 'Golden Dawn' redwood, Kentucky coffee tree, Katsura, paperbark maple, and many others.

The thought is good, but my former shade garden won't last 10 years while I wait for it to grow.

So, back to my question about making rooms! I know, it's terribly subjective.

Christine

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    16 years ago

Considering your zone, you should look into some Crape Myrtles. I don't know about others here, but I have had good luck with hostas under Crapes. I don't shear mine back in spring like you see in office parks and such, I just keep the trunks tidy and neat up to about 8 feet and let the tops go. They make great shade and are quick growers and have the added bonus of beautiful blooms in summer and wonderful winter interest.

Annette

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Annette,
    That is one of my thoughts.

I have (currently) have 48 of them, having given away 17 that had too much pink in them. I'm obsessive about red being red and purple being purple. Anyway, they're jewels in my garden, but at this point, don't provide much shade. I consider those gardens still a full sun area, but since they grow 2-3' a year 'round here? At some point I will have my shade!

I was thinking, though, that creating a walk and including some some of the smaller varieties in the bordering garden/hedge would add some late season color over that way, too. Smaller varieties such as the 'White Chocolate' 'Burgundy Cotton' and 'Velma's Royal Delight' could really add some nice structure, too. They leaf out really late here, between the 2nd week of May to almost June 1st on one variety. But the sun isn't that evil until about mid May.

Good idea. See the thing here isn't necessarily the overhead sun. The pergolas are serving their purpose there, because I've woven fabric in and out of the overhead strtus. It's the sideways sun from 1-9:00 pm that's eating my plants alive. So if I were to go with shorter, shrub varieties, I could tie them in and block or at least filter it!

I'm glad you don't "crape murder". It's so detrimental to the health of the trees!

Thanks for the thoughts, Annette. I appreciate it!
    Christine

I love crape myrtles. What winter interest do they offer in GA?

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Christine...

Another thought for providing shade, visual interest and separation between "garden rooms" is to grow Clemmies or some other vining plant on a removable horizontal support. When your trees are mature enough to provide all the shade you want, you can always rip the clemmies out and remove the support.

Alexa

• ademink
    16 years ago

Clematis ternifolia - Sweet Autumn Clematis - will scramble up and over those pergolas in a season! Gorgeous, scented fall blooms and easy to control. In the winter, they have cool seed heads that the birds adore.

I just cut mine back in spring to the ground and they shoot off again.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Do your Sweet Autumn self-seed rampantly? A friend has one climbing a pergola in her yard and she (and her neighbors) are always finding clemmie seedlings everywhere. I've avoided that cultivar just for that reason. Maybe I should reconsider?

Alexa

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

Sweet Autumn Clematis will take over and reseed everywhere in the DC Metro climate. Might not be an issue with acreage, but it sure was in my average-sized Maryland lot. Such a gorgeous vine (and the fragrance was divine), but one little sprig turned into a real thug for me.

I'd bet it could snuff out the poison ivy and brambles.

• playinmud
    16 years ago

SA Clematis is noninvasive and doesn't seem to reseed itself here in my area, Z6 NJ. Also, I got a chuckle out of..."clemmie"?? Very cutsie.

Christine,

What about some pillar arbovitae strategically placed? They can be quite elegant and might add to the room feeling you're looking for in that outdoor space. Or perhaps a climbing rose (a rebloomer)? Roses love the sun and would thrive on a trellis in that environment.

Just a thought. Donna

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

[SCREAM) I love SAC!!!!
    I don't have any at the moment, having managed to kill that castle climber, but oh, do I love it. What an excellent idea.

I'm always heistant about wisteria, so this is a perfect idea. Think of it intertwined with a dark 'Jackmanii' or 'Warsaw Nike', both of which I have. mmmmmmm...

Donna, I just picked up 3 'Sky Pencils'. I am thinking along the same lines, I think. I'm afraid of pickers, so if there's a pickerless rose, I'm in...?

I'm picturing (now) not just a row of stuff, path inside it, then shade garden, but rather a complete sun garden with taller items at the back, which would be in front of the long side of the pergolas. A path or something there, then my beautifully protected shade garden.

I'm going kind of wild here, but I'm picturing the courtyard area we're creating in the front of the house, then from one of the openings in the stone retaining walls, a walk to the new, sun garden. So incorporating it into the overall design better, and truly making another room!!!

Oooo.
    I own crape myrtles. Ornamental grasses. Now, the 'Sky Pencils' lots of fabulous lilies, 23 Japanese maples of all sizes that are currently in Total Ugly Full Sun -- just to see if they can take it. If so, a whole 'nother world of tree-creating shade and structure opens up. I've got nandina, too, if I wanted something lacey.

I [ahem] just bought 5 of a burgundy wiegelia, but the variety escapes me. It's one I don't have, and not 'Wine and Roses'. A couple of yellow and green euroneymous, and a bunch of other stuff.

Ok, Wal-mart was having some good things that were still heathly. I'm not afraid to buy small, even in my need for shade.

Anyway! Great idea on the Clemmies:) and in particular, SAC. Love that stuff!! It looks beautiful behind red, 'Dynamite' crape myrtles, too.

I wish I could draw, and that I had a camera. Ok. Draw and camera. Got it. I'll work on it.

Thanks for the ideas, folks!
    Christine

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Christine -

If you don't want thorns, check out Reine de Violettes. I have a tiny one that was denuded by the deer this year (grrrrrrrrr) but I think she would fit the bill for you.

Read Molineaux description on this thread, it is the 2nd or 3rd post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reine de Violettes

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, Caliloo. That thread is gorgous -- but certainly raises more questions about roses than I knew to ask. I don't speak Rose yet. But it does sound like I need to learn.

that color sounds beautiful, too. OK. I'll add that puppy to my list! :)

Thank you.
    Christine

• Janice
    16 years ago

Christine, it sounds like you've *got a plan*! And, a neat one at that!!

You need to read what I posted on the "AA hosta" thread, so I've copied it for you:

"Christine, I think you're going to be on my *list* of favorite hosta folk--- already!!!LOL
    I admit the list is long, but there's always room for one more!! Let's do lunch on the way
    to buy you a digital camera!

GET THE CAMERA!!! You know you're gonna do it--so let's just have fun picking one
    out for you!;o) If you have "money to burn"--(oops, that was bad, on so many levels)
    get the Nikon D80, with an 18-200mm BR zoom lens.

If you prefer to have money left over to put toward hosta, get a Fuji Fine Pix V10, with a 3" screen,
    the one that I have! Hubby has the other one, but I can use it whenever I want, because he's such
    a dear and after almost 39 years of marriage, there's not much we don't share, except my clothes
    and our underwear! I do snitch some of his shirts sometimes--especially to work in the yard in!!

Okay--so we may not be able to do lunch but I want to see pix by the weekend---okay???"

janice

BTW----GET THE CAMERA!!!!! :O)

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, Janice, upon the rare occasion I drive up to my mom's in Owosso, MI, from here in Maryland, I do pass through or by the exit for Dayton. Since 1986, I've met online people all over the world so Dayton is just a hop.

I really appreciate the recommendations on cameras. I hadn't realized what to buy was as intimidating as actually buying one.

In 2002 I bought an Olympus. Neither I nor many, many people who have read the tiny manual, can figure out how it works. It sits on my shelf. And back then, digital cameras were more than expensive. :( Ah well. Technology improves and becomes more reasonable.

Except LCD TVs, that is. If you were eyeing one, buy it now. Those tubes that make the "lens" are going up, Up, UP, and so will the TV prices.

I digress. I am developing a plan with every suggestion. I'm thrilled!

Christine
    Who is proud to be a "favorite hosta person', or FHP for short.

• Janice
    16 years ago

Great, Christine--stop on by! Let me know you're coming and I can send you my phone number!! :o)

I'm excited for you and your perspective camera adventure. I think the newer ones,
    are much more intuitive and user friendly these days!!

janice

• ademink
    16 years ago

Reinnes des Violettes is one of the few roses I actually own. I have abused it and never feed it and it is stunning. I need to treat it more nicely. :)

My SAC does seed but I have made loads of money selling the seedlings. LOL I also make lots of great trades w/ it! Plus, I take the good sized seedlings and transplant them to drape over yet another section of my privacy fence. I LOOOOVE it!

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

[Ahem] ademink?
    [whisper] got any extra? wanna trade SAC?[/whisper]

Great news:
    I have to wait for my contractor husband to have a moment to breathe before I get things done at home. That's why I have no heat, no kitchen, no walls, no gutters, oops. That's another rant. Anyway...

Last night he sad down to make a material list for a job he's doing. It's large, so materials are going to be delivered. He sat with me and worked out the materials for the 2nd pergola! Now, they might not become a pergola for a while, but they'll be here!! This is a big deal for me.

Right now, I have plywood nailed to the front of the existing pergola for shade. I can lay out the new pergola and my new garden room we've been discussing now.

I'm so excited.
    C.