Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaw2015

ID Confusion

lisaw2015 (ME)
9 years ago

I recently purchased what I thought was called "Paul's Favorite", I didn't keep the tag but now I am pretty certain it must be Paul's Glory since I can NOTHING on a variety called Paul's Favorite.
It seems that every picture of this hosta looks different but I don't see any sub species listed....why such dramatic differences in all the Paul's Glory? I do understand that shade vs full sun makes a difference but even leaf patterns are hugely different...help please :)

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

post a pic ..

i am not aware of pauls favorite ..

this one has transitory color changes ... and without a pic.. it is impossible to compare anything ..

PG is a CULTIVAR ... there are no sub species ... you are probably asking if there are any sports or reversions ... but again.. w/o a pic... .. it is useless to discuss such regarding PG.. if we dont confirm you have PG ..

ken

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Hi Lisa!

I don't have any horticultural revelations, but here's a photo of 3 Paul's Glories (along with a Space Odyssey on the right) growing together. It's striking how different they are with subtle sun exposure differences.
    Even if yours is Paul's Glory, it's still a beautiful plant, hope you enjoy it.

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Also, a nice shade for jungle kitty...

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for not using the correct verbiage, I am recently addicted to Hosta's & I am unable to post a pic right now...hope to get that figured out soon though, I have quite a few that were given to me so I have no idea what they are.

I do LOVE the PG, he is HUGE!!

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Lisa, glad to have you join us. We share a liking for all things hosta.

If you can load your pictures on the computer or on your cell phone, you can upload one per post using the "Browse" button located above the spot you type your messages.

Click that "Browse" and choose the file on your computer. Have your message typed before you select that file, because once you preview you cannot edit the text without re-doing the picture. When you preview, you'll see what WE will see. Then click SUBMIT MESSAGE and it is on the forum.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I love Paul's Glory as well. Has been a perfect plant in the garden.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Lisa, you just have to get a plug for your phone that has a USB port on the other end. In most cases they are less than $10.00. You just plug your phone into your computer and Windows loads the photos onto your computer (same as a digital camera).

Then you click on the browse button on the gray bar in this "Post a follow up" section. Just navigate to the photo you want, which is now on your computer and click on "open". It will load to your post.

The only catch is the one Mocc mentioned. If you have to edit your post after adding the photo, it will drop your photo. It looks like it's still there, but it's not. Just browse for it again and click open again. If you have a problem you can always go back and use the edit feature on your now posted thread and add the photo. (I promise it will make sense when you actually do it.) I generally do all my editing before adding the photo. That way I don't forget.

If you want to add more than one photo per post, you will have to use Flickr or Photobucket or some service like that. But we'll help if you have a problem. Just ask.

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 18:17

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much bk2000 and moccasinlanding. I am pretty sure I have the usb at home (I am work, sshhh!) that came with my phone. I will try to get some pics on here & ask for your help. I need to think about how I want to label them once I have them ID'd too. I notice a lot of the folks on here have cute little markers but I am afraid hubby would weed wack them, lol! I did finally break down & buy my own light weight weed wacker so he would stay away from my flower beds but.....once he has that thing in his hand, he just goes weed wacking nuts! Bless his heart :)

• User
    9 years ago

Deliver me from an enthusiastic weed wacker!
    My DH sort of gave my young ginkgo biloba a few whacks which ringed the little thing. It grows so SLOW anyway, and I had rescued it once from Hurricane Katrina, then the whacking killed the old top. It promptly began sprouting from the sides but I got a new one anyway. Not sure this will ever make a strong trunked tree.

Personally I do not care if the edges of walks and such are precise nor squared up or mitered. I'm more inclined to the "au naturelle" look. I'm a fan of liriope borders.

Good luck with the weed wacker wielding spouse. Bless their hearts indeed.