Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suneee

How tough are Hostas?

stoc zone 6 sweden
10 years ago

I know they are pretty resilient,I placed another order and they were shipped this last Monday.They should have arrived yesterday or today (Friday),but no hostas!

If they show up on Monday,will they be ok?
Thanks!
A disappointed James

Comments (6)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

James, soak them for a couple of hours before planting and they should be fine as long as they were in good shape when packed. If the weather there is similar to the cool wet weather around here, this would help as well.

Jon

• idiothe
    10 years ago

All depends on how they are packed... if the root balls are kept moist, and they don't end up in some really hot place for an extended time, they should still be fine.

When you get them, make sure you rehydrate them, putting the root balls in water for a bit before you pot or plant them... just giving the whole plant time to pump the water through and fill up anything that might have been lost.

You might have more foliage loss after a long period in the shipping - but some businesses even cut the leaves off to make for easier shipping - the plant will respond.

Not sure where you are writing from... in most parts of the country, a hosta that still has a healthy crown and root system could lose all its foliage and still have time to respond with a new flush and be ready for dormancy in fall.

So you'll probably be just fine.

But I wonder what kind of company can only tell you when they sent the package. No tracking number, no priority mail, no guaranteed delivery? Is this USPS, Fedex, UPS? The second two should know where the package is, the first can only track if it was priority mail or had tracking purchased.

For the future - USPS Priority gives an automatic tracking number and is usually delivered two days later... this week my two Monday afternoon packages appeared in Alabama and Iowa on Wednesday. UPS and Fedex can match or beat this.

I'm fine if my dvd player or barbeque tongs take 5-7 days for delivery - but for hostas, I think a couple more bucks for speed is worth it.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reassurance. I ordered them from Van den Top in Holland.He has great plants and is very reputable.Don't know why he doesn't do tracking numbers,I guess it is the cost.
    He was not going to do any shipping until the end of the month,but sent me the email that he would send them.He was leaving to go to the USA to get more hostas he said.

It is cool and wet here,so they will probably be ok. Seems like next day delivery and on time delivery has not reached Sweden.I have a friend who occasionally sends me packages through DHL and it has taken forever to get them sometimes.Didn't leave messages either when they attempted deliveries.

I know they were shipped using TNT and once they get to Sweden,Swedish post takes over and there probably lies the problem.
    Thanks for the help!

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Why did I immediately think of KenâÂÂs driveway when I read the title of this post ?

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Now I'm even more reassured, Jan is a serious hosta man and must know how to pack them for these longer delivery times. Be calm... prepare the soil...

and send us pictures, of course!

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

I don't know where you live or which delivery company was used but if it's USPS, it could arrive tomorrow still? They deliver packages on Saturdays.