Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almosthooked

What is the story of June?

almosthooked zone5
10 years ago

June is one of my favorite hosta and Idiothe mentioned in another post of the story of June. I would love to hear this. I have three June in different places in my gardens and some of her family and the colors of the plants always catch my eyes first. Being new at the hosta world I appreiate all the information that " the great ones" can contribute.

Comments (6)

• idiothe
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'll give it a go from memory - somebody probably can access a printed version and correct me...

It is a darned unlikely story.

Back in 1961, Eric Smith made a hosta cross that was highly unlikely. He took the very earliest tardiflora flowers... which typically wouldn't set seed in England... and pollinated it from a sieboldiana that was re-blooming. So... most typically that pollen and that flower would never have met... and even if they had, the flower wouldn't typically set seed.

He ripened the seeds in a solution of sugar and water. He got about 30 plants out of this and 14 were blue. He named that generation 1. The name "tardiana" was invented for the cross of two species, tardiflora and sieboldiana.

He was able to cross those blues with each other to make a series of generations. They call it a grex because the plants were crossed and recrossed, mixing up the same genes over and over in search of the best combinations.

Halcyon came out of the first generation. Many other great blues resulted from those crosses.

Fast forward to 1979. Tissue culturing of plants for commercial reasons is just taking off. A new company, Neo-plants Ltd starts up in Leeds, England.

At some point, they are tissue culturing Halcyon. When you tissue culture a plant, you go through them several times as they grow, culling (pulling out and destroying) the plants that are not "true to type." There are some powerful chemicals involved in cloning, and some oddballs occur.

There was an intern or part-time or somesuch employee... as I remember the story, she was 18 or 19. Her mother liked gardening, so the young woman asked if she could take some of the culls home for her mother. Her mom's name was June. As one of these culls grew, they realized they liked this odd sport of Halcyon that had the chartreuse center that turned to yellow and had some color-overlay streaking... very pretty plant.

I'm hazy on how it was that Neo got the plant back, but they produced the first June plants and it took off from there.

Of course, now we know that Halcyon and many of its offspring are prone to sporting.

For example, if Halcyon sports to a plant without the wax gene, and is a shiny green instead of blue... that one is probably Devon Green (aka Canadian Sheild, I think, and at least one more name...) From Devon Green we got a yellow-centered plant - June Fever. June Fever sported to a tetraploid, Justine.

Halcyon sported to a white-edged plant... El Nino... and to one that starts out with a yellow margin that eventually turns to cream or white - First Frost.

The story of June's mother could go on and on... Halcyon has so many interesting sports. But June herself turned out to be an amazing mother as well... Hugo's database of sports currently shows 21 named progeny and in turn, those have resulted in nine more named sports. (BTW - you will find June Fever listed as a June sport, but I believe the real story is that it came out of Devon Green.)

As long as I'm at it... I'll mention a few of my favorites from the Halcyon clan.

Halcyon - still a great blue hosta

First Generation:
    June
    Blue Ivory
    Devon Green (want a really fine looking green?)
    El Nino (hey - why doesn't Hugo's database list El Nino?)
    First Frost

Second Generation
    June Fever
    Touch of Class
    Olympic Sunrise (an oddball... out of June's sibling, Katherine Lewis, it has significantly larger leaves with subtle slow coloring-up like its parent and like Paradise Joyce.)

and Third Generation... I really like
    Justine
    Teatime

all of that because Eric Smith fertilized that unlikely flower with that unlikely pollen. He was never able to set seed on species tardiflora again.

(note: I borrowed heavily from a description Bob Solberg wrote about the origin of the tardianas.)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

sublime idiot ... i just typed about 90% of that a month back or two ...

i was going to simply relpy that i didnt know the story of june.. but i recalled the story of jeb.. see link

all i have to add to your masterful response.. is that it took me years.. to realize.. with no WWW back then.. that smith used english birds.. mostly sea birds for the names... its a quick trick ... to guess if a small blue is in the grex .... and that herb benedict took a few out to TF 6 ... like blue clown i think ...

i am not sure.. but schmid may have done something in his first tome on such ...

good work boy

ken

ps: now that should be in the FAQs

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• User
    10 years ago

We are really fortunate on the forum to have two great story tellers, with a background in hosta that knows where all the bodies are buried.

I'll bet between the two of you we'll have a fine time learning some hosta history.

Thanks Jim, and thanks Ken. Two part harmony.

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very interesting information and I thank you so much for the long story and your time to relay it to us. Appreciate it both you Jim and also to you Ken. I seem to have a few of the offsprings in my short 2 years of collecting and enjoying the offspring, 8 of which I have and three on my list for want this fall and will check out the balance on your list of Halcyon family.
    Faye

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Thank you for a great read!! Really appreciate you for taking your time to respond with fascinating information.
    My favorite plants are Halcyon and June and I am working on getting as many "offspring" as I can. I Grow 3 June now in 3 completely different types of light and the coloration is very different on each.... but all look terrific.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Thank you both, keepers of the hosta lore! :) I, too, am enamored of the Halcyon family