Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Sun Power Sport

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Separated this one off in 2008 and it seemed to stabilize the last two years......well it decided to be a bit sporty this year.

2012 - looks like a melon shaded version of Abba Dabba Do - strong grower

2013 - leaves getting wider and flirty

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (29)

• User
    10 years ago

Oh boy. That color combination is just about my favorite, a soft avocado butter color.

It fairly glows with energy. A fine healthy plant.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Wow, I love that! Really fantastic form and color. I would definitely buy it were it on the market. Congrats!

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Its so very pretty....love the soft color!

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Wow! Beautiful. . .I love those colors. .

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

I went back outside to work and just had to come back in and say that I am so amazed at the combination of colors and the all around beauty of this little lady. If it wasn't for the dedication of people like you, Paul, a beautiful plant like this might never have been nourished and grown. . Great eye! I'm thinking that would have been a great loss.
    How much sun have you had her in? Please, post more pictures as she grows. . .I would absolutely love to see her stages. Thank you for sharing her. . .

• irawon
    10 years ago

Very pretty colour and form on that sport of yours, Paul. I checked to see whether it was anything like Paradise Power and it isn't. It will be interesting to see how big it gets.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments. Here's a pic late in 2008 after the sporting division was planted in some sun - got fried - and then sprouted a new eye that bears no resemblance to what it looks like now. Light margin started to show in 2009 and by 2010 was pretty well established but leaves were immature.

Paul

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I like it!

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Very unique,Paul! I like all of SunPower sports. My Paradise Power this year,has an eye that has solid green leaves. I can't separate it,because it is in the center of the plant,and I don't want to destroy the plant for one sport. I guess a solid green leaf would be a sport,because it is a sport of Sun Power? Phil

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Three weeks of sun and heat has intensified the colors - really shows the sporting that is still going on.

Paul

• User
    10 years ago

Still has some sporting ways. Love the wide bands showing up now and then. But the same avocado butter look is present.

I know it is in the best hands to keep it flourishing.

Here is my Paradise Power. Nothing like your sport.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Lovely! Thanks for keeping us posted.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Great sport, Paul. Keep working with it. Once it stabilizes you should have a terrific plant there. One that is worthy of introduction.

Steve

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

That is the most beautiful hosta I've ever seen, bar none! Seriously!
    I'd pay good money to get a piece of your hosta, seriously!!!
    Those colours are so soft, yet stunning, absolutely stunning. Lucky, lucky you!!

Bookmarked so I can look at it anytime I want. Thanks for sharing. Jo

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update on my Sun Power Sport - went from 12 eyes to at least 18 eyes and already filling out the area. Still some margin colors darting to the center....try to remember to get a pic in 2-3 weeks when the melon colors intensify.

Paul

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Very exciting.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Still so very beautiful, Paul. How I love the "soft" appeal of its shape and colour. So nice of you to update this for us admirers!

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Paul!!! This is a fantastic variety you should be proud of.

Congratulations, man! Very worthy hosta for introduction. Hell, I'd buy it, you bet I would.

That is a winner, Paul...Just my, and many others' .02

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 23:25

• luuk
    9 years ago

No words, ...quite breathtaking!

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Wow...very, very nice!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

It's a beauty, looking forward to seeing pictures of what happens next.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Very special plant you have there. It really does have a unique shade...just like fresh, cold honeydew melon.

What is that gorgeous blue to the right? Skylight? They look great together.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

This is why I love this forum....we get to watch something special like your sport, Paul! It's like visiting a friend's garden year after year. That is really a beauty...so, are you thinking you might be able to bring it to market some day? Wouldn't that be a neat adventure?

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the nice comments and encouragement. With the streaking to the center last year, I was hoping it wasn't reverting. So I'm hoping I don't see any all yellow divisions as it colors up this year. My favorite registration name is Dabba Honey Dew (courtesy of Chis @ Hallsons) and 2nd is Abba Dabba Honeymoon.

Jadie, the blue hosta is a 2011 seedling from Powder Blue (pic below).

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Song: Abba Dabba Honeymoon

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 21:19

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Very nice Paul. Great colors and it seems to be a good grower!

Gesila

• irawon
    9 years ago

Paul, I wouldn't mind either one of your two sports in my garden. Please register etc. In my humble opinion Abba Dabba Honeymoon trips over the tongue more easily... might be because it begins with a vowel but Dabba Honey Dew is nice too. Sun Power is such a popular hosta, I would try to capitalize on that name somehow.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous hosta! Love Dabba Honey Dew! Great name. Thanks for sharing can't wait to see its progress during the season. I too would pay good money for one of these, its gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing the picture.

• threedogsmom
    5 years ago

Paul,

Can you show a picture this year of your Sun Power sport? The ones from 2013 aren't showing for me and from the descriptions, it sounds like a gorgeous plant. 5 years on, I'd love to see it now, and did it stabilize as a sport. I just noticed a SP sport of my own this morning and will try to separate it out tonight, so I am anxious to see what yours looks like. Thanks!