Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Blueberry Muffin

paul_in_mn
9 years ago

Happy to see I've stirred some interest in Blueberry Muffin in the "Got my Hosta Fix" thread, it has been a strong grower in my garden....especially for a blue. Color seems to last pretty well. Don't know how big it will end up as it was only planted in 2011. Myhostas says 24" tall and may reach 30" wide...mine has already hit 45" wide. I've already moved one small hosta and soon to move another to make room.

2012 pic (May) for growth reference

The flowering habit reminds me a bit of Blue Mouse Ears, tight to the clump. It's a Bill Meyer cross of 'Frances Williams' x 'Fall Bouquet' and blooms late (early August for me last year).

It's got a couple of leaves sporting a small white streak...fun to imagine how that could evolve.

Please add your pics and comments.

Paul

Comments (24)

• hostanista
    9 years ago

I only just got one first week of June but I already love the colour. It seems to be happy in its spot. Looking forward to seeing it develop. Yours is great, I hope mine lives up to it.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I love Blueberry Muffin. One of my favorite blues, and blues are my favorite! Got it Aug of 2012, it is now 24" tall and 40" wide. (Not quite as large as Paul's, but getting there). Good color, corrugated very pleasing form. Mine gets some morning sun, otherwise shade.

Who else has one?

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Mine still has plenty of growing to do, but I love it, too. It's one of the bluest and I have a lot of blues, so that's a high compliment. Here she is:

Paul, yours is exceptional in that first pic! Always love a blue surrounded by yellows.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Here's mine. I haven't measured it, but it's been a steady grower. Nothing too fast or too slow. I got it in 2011 as a single eyed plant.

Karen

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

OMG, Karen, what is the hosta in the bottom corner??????????????????

• hostacats
    9 years ago

The hosta in bottom corner.....I would like to know also...is it rainbows end??? Its lovely

michelle

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

I don't have it but I sure do want it!

Beautiful pictures!

Linda

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Gotta add Blue Berry muffin! Please let that be Rainbows end as I just picked up very small one. I have very few blues, but this one is definitely swaying me to rethinking that!

• tepelus
    9 years ago

That is Rainbow's End. :)

Karen

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Great. Now I've just added RAINBOW'S END to my wish list. I really should wear a blindfold when I read these posts. (Whaaaat???) :-)

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Add a pic from today - color holding up well, though temps have been pretty mild for July...

Scapes are just poking through.

Paul

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Lol hostanista! Thats how I feel. My wish list is out of control. Both of these are now on it. Just beautiful!

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Paul: BM is looking good. I repeat, one of my fav blues. Mine is in bloom right now and also holding color well. It is morning sun and afternoon shade. Thanks for this thread.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

And with that I have a blueberry muffin and a mango tango on its way. Thank you for visiting Hosta Enablers Society drive thru! :P

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Yep I see Paul is taunting me again with his blueberry muffin. I was going to try and hold off on ordering anymore this year but I don't think I will be able to resist because I want it sooo much LOL.

Kate- I have no self-control either ;-)

Paul- you always have the nicest pictures of your garden and I appreciate you sharing them!

Linda

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Paul are the hosta's behind bm?

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate, Great Expectations and Daybreak.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:31

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Thanks Paul! That day break is spectacular! Your photos have swayed me into blues and now golds. :)

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate, since you're on hosta tilt ;-) . Here's another to think about in the golds.....Krugerrand...it's tall and vase shaped. Melissa got me looking at this one a few years ago. It's a beacon in the garden and pics. The one to the right near the lilacs. Pic is from a couple of days ago, so still yellow and looking good.

Paul

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Finally got back to wifi so I can show you my Blueberry Muffin.
    Kathy

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

I've been looking at Krugerrand along with every other hosta known to the free world. :) Thanks for the suggestion!