Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckyladyslipper

Help wanted- ID & companion ideas

luckyladyslipper
9 years ago

I have 2 of these hostas with no tags to be found. Drat. How can I be so sloppy? They are getting a bit big for their location, and I wonder how much larger they might get. Any help?

Also, I'd like to plant a few small hostas near them. Any ideas.

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Gold Standard

Paul

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Gold Standard. Probably three feet across (or a little more) at maturity.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

companion plants???

what are those ..

crikey.. where do you think you are .. the companion plant forum ...

i say 200 to 1500 more hosta... blimey ...

welcome to the hosta forum ....

ken

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Love when people post a picture of their plants. It makes me go look at the ones I have and just look at the one that is mentioned and really appreciate just it for that special time. My Gold Standard this season
    Faye

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

I would go online and check out vendors that list photos of hosta by size. color, and growing conditions like Naylor Creek or Sebright's, for instance. Plenty to choose from.

Don't let Ken spook you. He really is a SWEETIE!

DD

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I agree, Gold Standard. It will get much golder in sun, more chartreuse in more shade. Here's a pic of an old one I had in all afternoon sun, just for you to compare the color.

Unfortunately I had to destroy it due to HVX last year.

Nice GS to all who posted pics!

• luckyladyslipper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks very much to everyone. Well, these guys are over 40" wide now, so maybe they'll stop growing soon?

I knew I should have hosed it off before snapping the shot - all the others look so clean and fresh!

I'm about to order 2 Queen Josephines and 1 Teaspoon from Hallson Gardens, THE most wonderful hosta and daylily supplier I can imagine. I guess Ken's point was they all go together just fine, and I should stop worrying about it and just order them. OK. Done.

Thanks again.

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Hostahosta, what a beautiful Gold Standard- what a shame it had the dreaded virus.... How did you know it had it? This is one of my nightmares, as I have numerous mature plants that I bought before I was aware of the virus.

Thank you from a Newbie

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

alltheatime: Let me rephrase. My GS started to have leaves with mottled looking areas as you can see in this pic. I had noticed it for two seasons, and it was getting worse. I post this pic on this forum and the general consensus was it had some type of virus, possibly HVX. I never specifically tested it. I destroyed it rather that taking any chances.

It was huge and gorgeous otherwise. I hated to lose it, but GS is common and easy to replace. Just will take a few years to get to the size of the sick one!

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Thanks, Hosta. Hope your new one grows quickly!
    Now I'm very worried about some of mine-
    Thanks for the information!

• luckyladyslipper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The reason I will not buy hostas from anyplace other than Hallson Gardens is that when I first became aware of HVX, the best explanation I read was from Chris Wilson, one half of Hallson (with Brian Hall). I won't risk infecting my herd, so to speak.

• jimr66
    9 years ago

As to the second part of your question. There are many good plants to accent your hosta garden. Some good ones that do well with the same conditions that are ideal for hostas.

Ligularia
    Heuchera
    Japanese forest grass (Hakenchloa) sp?
    Tiarella/Heucherella
    Ferns, all types
    Jack in the Pulpit (Artemisia)
    Trilliums
    Frittilaria lilies
    Rodgersia
    Spider wort (Tradenstia)

Also for some flowers

Fibrous Begonia (I find tuberous a little touchy)
    dragon wing begonia
    impatiens

Ground covers

creeping jenny (Lysmachia)
    Ajuga (bugle weed)
    Lamiun
    Lamiastratum
    Astilbe

There are others but these have all done well for me
    pictured is gold spiderwort

James

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

altheatime, there is no limit to how big a hosta can get. If you never divide it, it will just keep on putting out more and more eyes and getting bigger and bigger. Sometimes, it will die out in the center, but other than that there is no limit on a happy hosta.

bk

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie also, and wasn't fricking aware of the virus. Most regular gardeners do not know, and haven't seen anybody around here explain. Last couple of weeks I started searching and reading forums because I had some hostas that look funny. I am new to the forums as of today and posted pictures, and dang it the plants are posted are very infected.
    Love the Gold standard hostas by the way. real beauties.

Michelle

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Sorry you got the virus, Michelle. I'm lucky. I had one last year, but it was in a pot. It was easy to drop in the trash can. Just clean up well and go on down the road. That's really the only choice you have. Grow hosta and look out for HVX or don't grow hosta.

I choose hosta.

bk

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!