Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any more guesses on these two plants ID ?

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 11:38

First of all I always hate to ask question on NO-IDs, I know it sometimes takes over the board ! I hate having unknown plants in away, but I prefer no name to the wrong name..
(if that makes sense )
Here is the bright one given to me by a friend this picture was taken in the early spring.

photo IMG_3134_zpsefa59779.jpg

and now..

photo IMG_1844_zps0e97f5b4.jpg

and another division of the same plant.

photo IMG_1843_zps67db25a2.jpg

This is a mis-marked plant from a grocery store of all places.. Before I knew better I bought plants that way. This one was mis-marked BLUE BOY..

photo IMG_1840_zps42e10aa4.jpg

A quarter on the leaf for scale.

photo IMG_1839_zps47765a25.jpg
Anyhow I keep hoping someone sees something that makes them positive of the ID, if not well... every Garden needs a MYSTERY.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any more guesses on these two plants ID ?

Sea Fire on the yellow one? just my guess...

o

I was going to guess Dawn's Early Light on the first one, but I think Melati has it right. Dawn's Early Light is a Sea Prize seedling and they share that early brightness. But Sea Prize leaves are smoother and rounder. So I think that's an accurate ID.

Why do you think the first one is not Blue Boy?

Steve

o

My first thought on the yellow one was also Sea Fire and I was thinking Blue Umbrellas on the second one which looks way too big to be Blue Boy.

o

I looked at the Hosta Library photos of Blue Boy, and depending on the age of your hosta, it is a possible match.

What color are the flowers on yours? That can sometimes determine the ID.

o

The second one does have some similarity to Blue Umbrellas, but something makes me think it's an old timer. Maybe Blue Blazes. Check the library pics on that one.

Steve

o

the yellow... how many years did the friend own it.. some of the names suggested.. havent been around long enough .. to have been sitting in her yard for a decade ...

or did she buy it for you as a gift???

as to the green ... well... i have about 800 named green hosta.. good luck with that ...

if.. emotionally.. you cant deal with it not having a name.. give a garden name ... or get rid of it ...

as i have been know to say.. a hundred dollar hosta without a name.. is a 5 dollar hosta ...

ken

o

I'm probably totally wrong.. as I suck at ID's... but I have a yellow that looks like yours...

Mine is Fried Banana's... and it's been around a long time. ??

o

I would say as a guess the plant I removed the bright Hosta from was at least 5-8 years in her garden? Just guessing by the size it was when I separated it off.

As to the possible blue boy, I thought the pics on Hosta Library for blue boy look more like Halycon then what I have. My plant never shows any waxy blue, it is green to be sure..

I guess it isn't that important as I really like the big green leaves. Its the only plant I have with that look.

As to the flowers Ken , I don't recall.. but it seems it flowers late. I can't really see pink that well being a little color blind. I will try to remember pics of the flower to update this thread..

o

I"m not so good with id's - but take a look at Big Boy in the hosta library. It jumped into my head when I saw those big green leaves.

o

Some of those pics under Big Boy do look pretty close to it.. I will see if the flowers are low and similar when it blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here